There Will Be Brawl: Episode 10

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
Maybe we should list the nintendo character you didn't know about until TWBB (G&w, most of Dedede girls)

Thank to Tvtropes the final twist was save for me at the last minute (I actually knew the Kid Radd Eathbournd parody prior the actual game)

fenrirvii

Dec 16, 2009
For the people asking about the legality of a DVD, there are loopholes. Matt Mercer has previously stated that you could donate $10 (or however much the final product will be), and get a "free" DVD with it, which does not violate any copyrights.

Secondly, while I can sympathize with people who do not know about the characters from before the show, I appreciate that they included them. The intended audience of the show (in my opinion only) would be the group of people who know and love Nintendo games, mainly the characters in Smash games. While this does put a group of people (namely anybody who doesn't know certain Nintendo characters) off the videos, it GREATLY increases my appreciation of the series, because they did get a whole lot right with it. They included the character's backstories to a degree that is believable in context. If Kirby were a psycho and ran rampant through Dreamland, then the Mushroom Kingdom, that is how I would believe MK and DDD to react. Similar things with the takeover of Hyrule. While these story arcs are not found in any games, they are believable in the context of the series.

Third, I would just like to state that because one person (or a handful of people for that matter) do not understand something does not mean that it is not understandable. For me, the series was quite confusing until the end, and then, they were able to tie everything together quite well in a manner that made sense. Again, it's believable. I do feel sorry that you didn't "get" the series, but that really happens with almost anything in life... some people won't understand or like pretty much anything, and we can accept that. Again, I'm sorry that you don't get it, but haughtily throwing the words of Yahtzee around like he's some sort of deity is pretty misplaced. He's a funny game reviewer, and only that, so for this series, he's irrelevant. Your misunderstanding or dislike of the series is not a strike against, or a problem with, the series because the series did exactly what it set out to do, and many people are quite pleased with the final result. It may not be your fault either... it's ok to just not like something, but don't assume that because you don't like it, it's bad.

Finally, to the TWBB crew. I commend you for your work on this. It has been very enjoyable to watch the series and talk about it, hashing and rehashing theories about the possible killers, and honestly, I can't thank you enough for that experience. To Matt, Zach, Matt, Tony, Becky, JoEllen, Paul, Kat, Kyle, and literally everybody else in the series, I hope you find nothing but good things in your future.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
fenrirvii said:
For the people asking about the legality of a DVD, there are loopholes. Matt Mercer has previously stated that you could donate $10 (or however much the final product will be), and get a "free" DVD with it, which does not violate any copyrights.
Hopefully they do everything that is necessary to not break the law/get in trouble, because as cool as it would be to have it on DVD its a pretty huge risk.

ender_dio

May 14, 2009
Why don't they just contact Nintendo, and say "look we've made this wildly popular mini-series on the internet, and our legions of adoring fans would like to see a dvd release. Can you make that happen?"

I mean, i don't know if Nintendo would do it, but it sure as hell is worth a shot.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
There was a brawl...and Mario was kick-ass! I'd hoped that Peach was still alive. It made me a little sad. :(
This was quite creepy! If I was younger I could probably have nightmares about Kirby.
And It's hillarious when I play a Kirby game now, realising hes a cannibal, and it always reminds me of TWBB.
Brilliant finale guys!

sodaTAB

Aug 1, 2009
wow, I did not see that twist on the killer, though it does make sense. Earthbound has to be one of the most bizare games I have ever played O__e. Too bad it's over. Hope there's a dvd :D

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
There was so much there, I don't really know what to say at the moment... That was an incredible series though guys, like, really, that was something else. Also a good laugh at the end though with Kirby being Miyanoto, I think I got that.

Still, it ended on a cliff hanger, so I gotta be overly optimistic and hope that there' still more to come. There is more to come, right?

Seriously though, this was amazing, props go out to all the writers, actors, people involved in the production of the stages, props and everyone else involved. Proper quality ya'll.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
bluepilot said:
I was hoping that something would happen at the end to bring everyone back and make it all happy. Still enjoyed it, nevertheless, but *sob*
I gotta agree that I was somehow hoping something would happen to set right some of the sadness. I especially didn't think that Peach.. well, I had a hunch but you know, you always hope those kinda hunches are wrong.

I loved it, it was beautifully made and superbly well written. I just felt really bad by the end of it all. Although, the bit at the end with Kirby and Sakurai... I actually lol'd at the inside reference, especially since Kirby appeared to be wearing Ness' cap, as well. I also found the "trophy" discussion to be impressive in a mind-screwing kind of way. I kept wondering if there'd be a reference.

But yes, ending was rather on the bittersweet side, though to their credit they pulled it off very well. I also hope there will be a DVD with extras and such. A sequal would be interesting to see, but considering they killed off so many characters, I just don't see it happening.

fenrirvii said:
Secondly, while I can sympathize with people who do not know about the characters from before the show, I appreciate that they included them. The intended audience of the show (in my opinion only) would be the group of people who know and love Nintendo games, mainly the characters in Smash games. While this does put a group of people (namely anybody who doesn't know certain Nintendo characters) off the videos, it GREATLY increases my appreciation of the series, because they did get a whole lot right with it. They included the character's backstories to a degree that is believable in context. If Kirby were a psycho and ran rampant through Dreamland, then the Mushroom Kingdom, that is how I would believe MK and DDD to react. Similar things with the takeover of Hyrule. While these story arcs are not found in any games, they are believable in the context of the series.
Just saw this so I'm editing my post. I gotta say, I agree with this too.. and pretty much all of Fenrir's post in general. That's one of the things that sold me on this series was the believability of it all. I was kinda turned off at first when Peach was screwing around with Mario AND Luigi in the first episode as I felt it was a rather cliched way to introduce the three characters, though, mainly because I've seen that "relationship" pop up in so many fan-based stories and other fan-shows. However, it quickly got itself onto a less expectable path as the episodes followed. I mean, I resisted turning it off as soon as I saw Mario & Peach going at it, and by the end of the episode, I was hooked.

I do wanna say I'm glad I didn't start watching this when it first showed up, because the suspense woulda killed me. But yes, the whole dystopic concept and what the Kingdom had become.. really reminds me of my Grand Theft Auto: Mushroom Kingdom idea I had tossed around a few years ago. The setting that is, this once great kingdom now just a seedy hotbed of crime and controversy. I think it's one of the reasons I found the show interesting.

And if anyone's ever seen the Super Mario Brothers Fan Movie that I think is on The Mushroom Kingdom website, you might have noticed a few themes in this which were familiar. Such as Luigi being the guy who rises up when Mario starts going downhill, etc.

tyrkae

Aug 28, 2009
ummm for some reason it wont load for me and therewillbebrawl.com doesnt have the 10th episode :(

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure this isn't covered under Fair Use, fellas. I don't know about the rest of the series, but this episode was neither satirical nor was it a parody. There were a few (scarce) funny bits, true, but just because there's some funny in something that doesn't make it a parody. A parody/satire is humorous criticism, and the overall tone of this episode was drama.

-Sorry to kill the buzz of those who enjoyed it and made it (though if you did I don't see why my opinion would hurt you), but this is a fan fiction and nothing else. Oh, and before I get, "You don't know shit! This was overly dark to criticize Nintendo's usual happy-go-luckiness!", look at the source material. "Mario" maybe, but "Zelda" and "Metroid"? The latest games of those franchises proved they weren't happy-go-lucky, so that argument doesn't hold out. Also, the story itself isn't a parody, it's just a blunt story.

--On an faintly related note, the actors were pretty good. I especially enjoyed the woman who played Peach. Beautiful manikin moves, there! Hope you guys branch out.

Wayward Sean

Aug 19, 2009
Mortagog said:
Wayward Sean said:
This is to those who complain about the lack of storytelling. The plot made every bit of sense. I know it hurts your pride to hear this, but you either weren't paying attention to detail, or you aren't capable of understanding subtlety. Sorry, I know you're mad, but it was all there regardless of how you feel. Inference is a very powerful tool.

Kirby made sense, he was a mastermind. Ness and Lucas are deranged psychic children trained by Mewtwo from the orphanage. Originally they were unleashed to appease Olimar's 'demons', or the proletariat of the Mushroom Kingdom (G&W is an allegory for the original residents being forced into labor positions). When Ness and Lucas continued the killing spree, Ganondorf lost control, but everything was working toward Kirby's plan (he knew they would get out of control). Kirby wants chaos, that is what his legacy will hold, and if he could cause chaos from behind bars, that just makes him happier. And that cliffhanger ending does not mean a sequel is necessary and it is excellent storytelling! It is a device used to tell you that the Mario Bros' job is never over, and that "to secure peace is to prepare for war."
Your second paragraph is not what's the problem here. Sure, subtlety is an effective and striking method of storytelling when used correctly, but the line between a subtle plot and a muddled one is very fine indeed. Without a substantial knowledge of Nintendo esoterica, much of the plot becomes lost. The creators of the series take way too much for granted when it comes to this. I for one had no idea of who e.g. Metaknight, Dedede, Daisy or "the demons" were before watching TWBB, and the characters I didn't bother researching are even more numerous. Because of this, much of what was likely very effective storytelling in your case became muddled randomness for me. Another thing that does not help at all is the pseudo-italian accents of the main cast, for yet more subtleties are lost through this unless one reviews scenes again; this being something which is not a hallmark of good storytelling. Simply adding captions would have done wonders for TWBB.
Note that I otherwise have very few gripes with this excellent webseries.
I will agree with you that, as a series created for fanatics of a company that has been creating stories, character, and canon for decades, all backstory and understanding of characters is expected to be known by the audience. That can alienate the majority of the audience, but it is in the same way that Yahtzee discusses the paradox of a good videogame. How does one create a full experience for the hardcore fanbase yet still make it accessible for the commonman? There Will Be Brawl catered specifically to the fan, but you're right, it did leave many scratching their heads. As for the pseudo-Italian accents...I would like to disagree. I feel that it was purposefully a terrible attempt at the accent in the same way that Team America: World Police did not attempt to hide the strings of the puppets. It is acknowledging the limitations of the medium (cheap internet video in this case) and throwing it in the audience's face. But that is purely my speculation.

SpikeFT

Nov 18, 2009
awesome series but for some reason i want kirby dead still a good ending in a way
oohhh and Happy New Year!!

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Wayward Sean said:
I will agree with you that, as a series created for fanatics of a company that has been creating stories, character, and canon for decades, all backstory and understanding of characters is expected to be known by the audience. That can alienate the majority of the audience, but it is in the same way that Yahtzee discusses the paradox of a good videogame. How does one create a full experience for the hardcore fanbase yet still make it accessible for the commonman? There Will Be Brawl catered specifically to the fan, but you're right, it did leave many scratching their heads. As for the pseudo-Italian accents...I would like to disagree. I feel that it was purposefully a terrible attempt at the accent in the same way that Team America: World Police did not attempt to hide the strings of the puppets. It is acknowledging the limitations of the medium (cheap internet video in this case) and throwing it in the audience's face. But that is purely my speculation.
I did not imply that any serious attempt of Italian accents were made, although that doesn't make them any easier to understand!
I guess that the creators of TWBB decided very early on to go all the way when it came to hardcore fan dedication. It made alot of people sad, but then again, works that are inclined toward the hardcore fanbase are a cherished few. It's just a shame that I wasn't a fanboy for all the franchises.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I would've never thought kirby could make such a creepy villian. he's damn scarier than most actual thriller/horror movie bad-guys
Makes walkign around a dark empty factory at night a little more exciting :D