There Will Be Brawl: Episode One

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
I'm kinda wondering where all these new series are coming from. Sure, Unskippable won a contest but this and another recent addition, where are they coming from? Maybe the Escapist received a big sack o' cash in the mail (Return Sender: Unknown) and decided to spend it all on buying up videogame series. Or boosting their salaries, whatever.

Main question: why are we seeing so many new videos at once?

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Wow, incredible! So subtle, sublime and fantastically written. Great characterisation, the acting was spot on. Everything was just...fantastic.

Jul 9, 2008
Nivag said:
Ahaha that was so funny. I loved the expression on Mario's face when Luigi walks in on him. The cast is perfect as well. Almost every scene had me laughing my ass off. Is this going to be a regular show now? Please say yes. Also, is this sort of based around Smash Bros? Or just Nintendo in general. Or does it not really matter.
SSB, because you notice that all the people who were killed were people who were in Melee but not Brawl.
PumpItUp said:
I'm kinda wondering where all these new series are coming from. Sure, Unskippable won a contest but this and another recent addition, where are they coming from? Maybe the Escapist received a big sack o' cash in the mail (Return Sender: Unknown) and decided to spend it all on buying up videogame series. Or boosting their salaries, whatever.

Main question: why are we seeing so many new videos at once?
The other recent addition (Doomsday Arcade, right?) tied in the film contest with Unskippable, that's why that's there. This, I have no idea.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
PumpItUp said:
I'm kinda wondering where all these new series are coming from.
That's a fair question. The short answer is I have to justify my existence as Director of Video Content by actually producing video. Kind of a double edged sword, that title.

The long answer is that Film Festival [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable]. Since the Grand Prize was a series contract with The Escapist, we kind of shot ourselves in the foot by telling them they won and had to offer them a contract. Whoops.

Our third new series, There Will be Brawl [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/there-will-be-brawl], has been in the works for some time. We're always on the lookout for exciting new video series to bring to our audience. We have a pretty high standard of quality, which is why we don't launch new video series more often, but we're always looking. We were thrilled to have found Brawl and even more thrilled that the creators were excited about adding their show to our growing lineup of exciting, new video. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

For more fruits of this never ending search for new video, watch The Escapist Show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-show] every Tuesday to see a new short video each week that may someday become a series.

As for why all of this new video is coming out at once, we scheduled the launch of all three of our newest series for this week specifically to dazzle and awe all of you fine folks. Looks like that worked. Enjoy!

sternis

Dec 29, 2008
I saw this first episode some time ago (about several months) and couldn't wait until the second episode came. But unfortunately, there were none. How often will this seriers be releasing new episodes?
Still, great show, and surprisingly wellmade.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Absolutely amazing. This has the potential to take the #1 top series spot from Unforgotten Realms (Yes Yahtzee fanboys, Yahtzee sucks now and he isn't #1 on the escapist; his jokes are stale and he hasn't done many visual jokes in ages).

I'm interested in the other new video series, Doomsday Arcade. I think it has great potential but, that's what I said about VGT too and look how that turned out. Anyway, Doomsday Arcade had a mediocre start which I think will become quite good when they get to develop the plot.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
The long answer is that Film Festival [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable]. Since the Grand Prize was a series contract with The Escapist, we kind of shot ourselves in the foot by telling them they won and had to offer them a contract. Whoops.

Our third new series, There Will be Brawl [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/there-will-be-brawl], has been in the works for some time. We're always on the lookout for exciting new video series to bring to our audience. We have a pretty high standard of quality, which is why we don't launch new video series more often, but we're always looking. We were thrilled to have found Brawl and even more thrilled that the creators were excited about adding their show to our growing lineup of exciting, new video. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
As I have stated before the first episode of Unskippable was good. My only concern being that they depend on games having long cutscenes were as every other videos on The Escapist have the freedom of imagination.

Also as I have stated, Doomsday arcade was the only one in my book to have a mediocre first episode but, has the potential to improve when they develop a plot.

There Will Be Brawl had an amazing first episode with a dramatic plot with refrences to how these characters have been milked dry. This has potential to unseat Unforgotten Realms from it's throne.

I'd like to wish all of those involved with any of these videos good luck in thier quest to top The Escapists videos. Russ, nice job and I'm looking to see any future videos.

MintyFreshBreathGuy

Oct 10, 2008
I like this, it's defiantly unique compared to most things (especially abotu video games) we see these days. I think it's worth my time. Though don't try to go too overboard with any dark effects or story lines or anything. the story seems good but seeing as it's a video game parody try and be gentle with it is all I'm saying.

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
In short: Great
In long: Grrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaat

Propably the best fan-made video about SMB/SSB that I have ever seen. I am craving for more mushrooms and more episodes.

daedrick

Jul 23, 2008
SwiftFlux said:
It's obviously not meant to be too funny, it takes on a different side of Nintendo characters that we've never really seen before.

But overall I thought it was very creative and deep. I want to see some more of this!
Quoting for emphasis. Same thougths.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Loved it! Excellent acting and plot there, brilliant parody.
Accents went a little odd now and then but other then that very nicely done.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
This is fantastic. both the new shows that came out are really quite superb. I love the darkness of the over all show and the fact you don't use repeat cast members.

p.s. Wario is beast.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
Jesus Christ this is cool.

The guy that plays Wario is pretty much the best mob kingpin I've ever seen.

And was the opening scene a homage to the Watchmen, or just pretty much every film noir ever made? :D

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Woah!

This really surprised me. I was afraid of a mediocre VGT-type game parody show, but this really impressed with its moody visual style and its very original take on the gaming characters everyone knows and loves.

Very, very good. Keep it up.

The title is a little misleading, though - I can understand why it was chosen (it is a darker piece, kind of like There Will Be Blood, I guess), but it's a little goofy, and because of that not very representative of the actual video.

Oh, and was that a No More Heroes reference when Luigi is talking to Peach?