There Will Be Brawl: Episode One

Grimmory

Dec 11, 2008
This is brilliant! Very well done, and I can't wait for more. It's really obvious a lot of effort was put into making this

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Guess they saved the best for last, KIRBY!

There's a few things that don't match the Mario franchise tho:
1. Isn't princess Peach a little on the no brain side...
2. Princess Peach never puts up...

i3ishop

Jan 8, 2009
loved this and thought that the idea was really original Kirby kicked ass and the twist with Luigi and Peach was great
cant wait for more keep it up

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
Loved it, it's rather inventive and dark in a truly awesome way.

Yoshi. It fits, you know.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Wow.

Huh.

...sorry, I needed to wrap my head around the whole film-noir angle there. I wouldn't put this up for any acting awards, but it certainly is new and interesting and I'm eager to see where it goes from here.

(Also, if any character ever utters the line "Forget it, Link. It's Yoshi's Island." then I will be forced to squee.)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I enjoyed this, quite amusing and an superby produced video to boot. More a pseudo-serious drama, but that seems to add to it.

And yes, a warning not to let young kids watch it should be added, methinks. More a Teen than an Mature.

sirtunic

Jan 7, 2009
That was great! I was surprised how it maintained both a comical and dark structure throughout. As well as good acting, on all parts.

Dramus

Jul 12, 2008
Overall a neat premise, we'll have to see if the plot develops well or takes the UR 'let's just play it by ear and end up with a convulted mess' approach (hopefully the former, since plot really matters in a show like this). However, am I the only one who noticed the shoddy camera work in this? Especially during Peach's schpeal, the cuts were really awkward. They definitely need to fix that, because it breaks immersion horribly.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
That was great, really great, as a gritty series and as comedy lol.

I was basically half chuckling the whole time at the ridiculousness of it, but the Kirby bit had me burst out laughing.
Hope to see more of this.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
This is referential comedy done really well. First, the source material for the references is a excellent choice as Super Smash Bros games are referential also, allowing the draw of possible references to be as big as the entire Nintendo library if so desired or even just the characters (and bonus) that have appeared in that series of games, it allows for amazingly large amounts of niche call backs. Second, it takes the opposite approach of what we know to be true in nearly every Nintendo game, even the enemies aren't "dark n gritty" at the best of times and no one dies (and if you think they do, they are sure to return as a mysterious character or recover even more mysteriously). This reminded me a lot of the other recently debuted Doomsday Arcade, though their referential material seems to be all video game characters bar none and a much more silly in your face comedic stylings. Here, the humor is definitely in the reference and dark twist. On top of that, the costume and special effects department for this should definitely be rewarded for doing such good work in the SSB visual references, certainly better than what Hollywood pulled off with its Super Mario movie.

Also, definitely reminds me of this:
Mario: Game Over
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JpBGRA6HHtY

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
I cannot applaud enough. Superb acting, dialogue and costumes.

This is my new favorite Escapist production.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Quality, yes. Enjoyment, not so much. If I knew it was a dark look on Brawl I would have enjoyed it more, but as it is, I was expecting something a bit more funny. Though I did enjoy the lighting and camera work.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
One of the best new parodies I've seen. Some parts were pretty subtle, others were old jokes that seemed to be funnier when shot in real-time rather than cartoons. Plus the setting is brilliantly original.

I loved it. Dying to see more.