There Will Be Brawl: There Will Be Brawl: On Set

T3H-F1GM3NT

Aug 6, 2009
WarpZone said:
jrhop364 said:
I love this series, so damn much. And I was always a Luigi fan, so it really stokes me out to see him as the main character.

Quick, someone, favorite TWBB moment. GO.
Link's heart-wrenching, tearful "Well... Excuse. Me. Princess." D:
That was also my favorite moment, being a Zelda diehard myself XD I seriously was laughing for about 5 straight minutes after that cause I was like, "No...they didn't..OMFG they did XD"

Second favorite would have to be...

Bowser: "I'm sorry Luigi, but your princess is in another castle."

And I gotta throw one more down...

Mario: "You picked the wrong time to fight with me, fairy."
Link: "Bring it, plumber!"

nyx15

Aug 13, 2008
direct form the forums of TWBB, posted by matthew mercer himself:http://therewillbebrawl.forumotion.net/there-will-be-brawl-the-web-series-f1/upcoming-dvd-release-in-2010-t390.htm

"Just a heads up to help start brew some momentum to the event.

In the coming months (looking at around January or February), we are looking to release TWBB on DVD. It will include the entire series, with some minor re-mastering on the early episodes/effects, as well as some behind-the-scenes features, a full-series Blooper Reel, and a few other goodies we are working on producing for you folks. Wink

No word yet on the price point, nor how it'll be available, but details will be coming after the New Year, so keep an eye out for updates!"

hope this will help tide you all over till monday and longer

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I had a dream this episode 10 was up.

It started with each of the good characters starting their day, and each of them has a flashback to earlier scenes. Then they all come together, ready for a war, Fox even brings the "foreign refuse" along for the battle. The camera moves behind Mario and Luigi and we see the towers...

then I had to wake up.

Man, I need this series to end. I am literally dreaming about it.

BuzzDJT

Dec 12, 2009
RandV80 said:
First time through, just the other week actually, I really cracked up when stripper Samus came out. Completely unexpected, and one of the coolest nerdgasm ever!

And a bit more subtle, but loved links short fuse with Navi and when Link gets pissed off and chucks something at her:

Navi: "Hey, Hey Listen!"
Link: "**** off Navi!" *throws shoe*

I'm pretty sure the wish to have that option in the actual game is pretty much universal.

And of course Kirby was pure awesome too. At the start of the series you're kind of skeptical, but once you see Kirby you know it's going to be awesome.
Honestly that was hilarious, I didn't see a shoe, I thought he threw his hipflask at Navi? this made 'My favourite moment' about a minute later. he pulls another hip flask from his jacket and smirks. Just so perfectly. always prepared
And also Becky as Samus, she is an incredible actor, and really draws you into the character. Matt Key seemed to take a few episodes to settle into the character (you could also take it as his luigi gaining confidence over the course of events), but Becky was Samus from the second she walked through the curtain.
Is she in anything else or is this her first major part?

Just one side point, How awesome would it be if this story is taken as the sequel to the super mario brothers movie of the early 90's? Someone should drive a dumptruck full of money up to matt and zach's house and beg them to use it to up the production value to cinematic levels. Worldwide release!

(having said that the production values are still higher than the 90's film i.e. Koopa looks about 10 times more realistic and believable, and the actor is better, and the character itself. Kudos)

Geektress656

Nov 19, 2009
Badazzninja said:
Geektress656 said:
Badazzninja said:
WarpZone said:
Just a quick heads-up. According to the official TWBB forum:

Episode 10 Discussion Thread - Final Episode Airs MONDAY RARGH

I don't think The Escapist wants me to use links. Certianly there's no nice, obvious button for it. So I'm just gonna leave the link *implied.*

Google it or something.
monday? that's not bad at all. but if it DOESN'T come out monday, I SWEAR TO GOD IM GONNA... do nothing at all except go about my business and keep waiting, like a good fan is supposed to
Really? I was hoping for something semi-ironic like "be really upset and I may cry for a little bit." .... That's what I would do.
i've already admitted to having a strange yaoi man-crush on one of the characters. i've done enough damage to my masculinity without adding a nice big heaping pile of crybaby fanboy temper tantrum to the mix lmao
Psh ... That's what fanboys do!

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
BuzzDJT said:
Honestly that was hilarious, I didn't see a shoe, I thought he threw his hipflask at Navi? this made 'My favourite moment' about a minute later. he pulls another hip flask from his jacket and smirks. Just so perfectly. always prepared
Of course he has a spare. In fact, I bet he has four bottles with him at all times.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Wow, I just found out Episode 10 was originally scheduled for Christmas, until some editor at the Escapist decided to arbitrarily announce that it would be out Dec 18th:

http://therewillbebrawl.forumotion.net/there-will-be-brawl-the-web-series-f1/in-which-all-your-questions-are-answered-t406-30.htm#37451

Also, apparently Gannondorf's actor worked himself into a hardcore state of physical and mental BURNOUT trying to meet this unrealistic goal:

http://therewillbebrawl.forumotion.net/there-will-be-brawl-the-web-series-f1/episode-10-discussion-thread-final-episode-airs-monday-rargh-t372-750.htm#37856

What the hell, The Escapist?

Just what the hell?

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
WarpZone said:
Wow, I just found out Episode 10 was originally scheduled for Christmas, until some editor at the Escapist decided to arbitrarily announce that it would be out Dec 18th:

http://therewillbebrawl.forumotion.net/there-will-be-brawl-the-web-series-f1/in-which-all-your-questions-are-answered-t406-30.htm#37451

Also, apparently Gannondorf's actor worked himself into a hardcore state of physical and mental BURNOUT trying to meet this unrealistic goal:

http://therewillbebrawl.forumotion.net/there-will-be-brawl-the-web-series-f1/episode-10-discussion-thread-final-episode-airs-monday-rargh-t372-750.htm#37856

Just what the hell?
Wow, that's insane the condition Matt is in right now. It must be painful if your body collapses after working with no sleep in sight!

Must be one of those days where a seemingly small mistake escalates into some intense stuff. The Brawl guys definitely deserve some props.

Let's be patient and wait for it to come out when its ready.

Edit: I can understand why the Escapists set up an earlier date - perhaps no one would be around to upload the final episode on the Christmas day? Still...not worth jeopardizing your health.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
The worst part is knowing that I was one of the many earlier going "Why's it late? Why's it late?"

Those of you who've worked in the video game industry know what burn-out feels like. Those of you who do anything artistic might have experienced something similar when you get in the groove. It's not just physically cramping up from sitting almost motionless in the same chair for 20 hours straight. You feel ill if you even *think* about your beloved project. You want to do anything at all rather than look at it. And the more days you try to "push through" that stress and keep working on it, the more weeks it takes to recover from it afterwards. And all he had to do to prevent it would have been to get 8 hours of sleep and a few hours of other normal activities per day while working on it.

This is common knowledge. The IGDA has done whitepapers on this. This was avoidable.

Yet in our eagerness, we, the fans, drove him to this.

All because we were mis-informed about the timetable.

OMG Aero

Feb 11, 2009
nyx15 said:
In the coming months (looking at around January or February), we are looking to release TWBB on DVD. It will include the entire series, with some minor re-mastering on the early episodes/effects, as well as some behind-the-scenes features, a full-series Blooper Reel, and a few other goodies we are working on producing for you folks. Wink
The blooper reel should just be a 10 minute long clip of the squid from Super Mario Bros swimming around.
Then I would buy 10 DVDs.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Well, it's nice to
WarpZone said:

Just what the hell?
It's nice to have an update on the situation... thanks for posting that link. If Matt's in that kind of condition, he deserves to take a break.

Sep 13, 2009
the last episode of TWBB would be an awesome Christmas gift! Especially if it's almost a feature length film! Take all the time you need to finish it Matt!!!

Geektress656

Nov 19, 2009
WarpZone said:
The worst part is knowing that I was one of the many earlier going "Why's it late? Why's it late?"

Those of you who've worked in the video game industry know what burn-out feels like. Those of you who do anything artistic might have experienced something similar when you get in the groove. It's not just physically cramping up from sitting almost motionless in the same chair for 20 hours straight. You feel ill if you even *think* about your beloved project. You want to do anything at all rather than look at it. And the more days you try to "push through" that stress and keep working on it, the more weeks it takes to recover from it afterwards. And all he had to do to prevent it would have been to get 8 hours of sleep and a few hours of other normal activities per day while working on it.

This is common knowledge. The IGDA has done whitepapers on this. This was avoidable.

Yet in our eagerness, we, the fans, drove him to this.

All because we were mis-informed about the timetable.
I totally agree. As frustrated as we were with the delay, we were all so excited about the new episode that we forgot that they are only human.

I think we need to set up some sort of "thank you" to Matt Mercer so he doesn't feel like all we really care about is the show. We need to show him that we really do appreciate what he's doing. As an artist, actor, and singer, I know how important it is to feel the sense of gratitude from the people you're entertaining.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
BuzzDJT said:
And also Becky as Samus, she is an incredible actor, and really draws you into the character. Matt Key seemed to take a few episodes to settle into the character (you could also take it as his luigi gaining confidence over the course of events), but Becky was Samus from the second she walked through the curtain.
Is she in anything else or is this her first major part?
Yes you're correct it was a flask, probably meant to be one of Links 'bottles'. I just forgot at the time and a shoe was the first random object that came to mind.

And I would guess this is Becky's first major appearance. My girlfriend is an actor so I have a little bit of insight into the industry (myself I'm her unpaid reader and sometimes chauffer), and any actor that's done even the smallest thing can likely be found on imdb.com. The only criteria to get a movie on imdb is to have it screen at a recognized film festival, so if you're one of the many nameless/aspiring actors out there if you get a legit credit you want it up there on imdb to start getting even the slightest bit of recognition. The only thing that can be found under 'Becky Young' is an extra credit on Junebug (2005).

But remember that just because an actor isn't doing paid/recognizable work doesn't mean they aren't constantly studying and practising their craft, and not just hobbyist that give it a go once in a while to see if they can do it. And it's not just Becky, these guys have done a great job of casting quality no-name actors. There's a few pro's in there that work in the video game industry, but overall I bet a lot of them are new and/or do theatre.

T3H-F1GM3NT

Aug 6, 2009
WarpZone said:

Just what the hell?
See, before the Escapist announced the Friday release, I was expecting it to come out at Christmas (perfect present for all us fans, right?), but when they said it would come out Friday I was like, "Sweet, gonna give our present to us early." Shoulda known someone jumped the gun on this :S

You rest easy Matt and just get it out to us when you can. I'll be content with a Christmas release really :p I'm just super stoked to finally see how it ends.

Geektress656

Nov 19, 2009
T3H-F1GM3NT said:
WarpZone said:

Just what the hell?
See, before the Escapist announced the Friday release, I was expecting it to come out at Christmas (perfect present for all us fans, right?), but when they said it would come out Friday I was like, "Sweet, gonna give our present to us early." Shoulda known someone jumped the gun on this :S

You rest easy Matt and just get it out to us when you can. I'll be content with a Christmas release really :p I'm just super stoked to finally see how it ends.
We all are, dude ... we all are!