There's Apparently Another Thief Game in the Works that Will Release Alongside the Movie

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
2,804
0
0
There's Apparently Another Thief Game in the Works that Will Release Alongside the Movie

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1405/1405213.jpgThe production company working on the Thief film adaptation may have let the cat out of the bag on a new game in the series.

Square Enix may be looking to listing page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170333-Square-Looking-to-Sell-IO-Interactive-Hitman-Dev] for the Thief movie that was announced last year, and on that page you can find this tidbit:

"The Thief series has spanned over fifteen years and four sequels continually retaining loyal audiences and attracting new fans with each iteration. Widely considered to be one of the greatest games ever created, a fifth sequel is currently in development to be released in step with this motion picture adaptation."

If this listing is accurate, it would mean that despite the somewhat lackluster performance of the Thief reboot in 2014, Square hasn't given up on it yet. Of course, it would make sense from a business standpoint to have a game come out alongside the movie, so maybe that's behind the plan.

Of course, there's no word on when the movie might release (it was announced in March of 2016 [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/thief-video-game-film-works-872873]), but if it's going to be coming in the near future, we'll likely hear something about the game at E3 next month.

Permalink
 

Blitsie

New member
Jul 2, 2012
532
0
0
"Whats better than an unnecessary reboot?" They asked.

"A movie game!" They exclamed!

"What the fudge guys?!" Lots of fans wondered.
 

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
602
0
0
NOOOO. No. No. NO! NOOO. No. NO! Noooooooo. No. Noooooo. NO! NONONONONONnonono [cries]

WHYYYYY???!!!!
 

Shoggoth2588

New member
Aug 31, 2009
10,250
0
0
...So the game from what, 3 years ago did so poorly they're going to reboot the thing again? Oh well, I love a good train-wreck as much as the next person but hopefully the upcoming Thief game (heh, series) doesn't try making the protagonist into a broody, humorless, father figure again. Just re-release the original trilogy with pretty graphics guys, come on.
 

TheScorpion

New member
Feb 24, 2016
122
0
0
I was hoping a for a better Thief game to come out, but I'm not really interested in seeing a Thief movie though.
 

Ugicywapih

New member
May 15, 2014
179
0
0
I am at this point expecting a Grand Theft Horse game loaded with QTEs. Stealth optional, and if it's there, it'll probably be poorly designed.

But then, I've never played much of the original games, so this mostly just means I get to grab a bag of popcorn and enjoy the drama when the bloody thing releases, far as I'm concerned :D
 

TelosSupreme

New member
Dec 8, 2015
149
0
0
While Square is busy selling off Hitman, maybe they should consider selling Thief back to the guys at Otherside. Then we might actually get to see a GOOD new entry. And no guaranteed-to-suck-like-every-other-video-game-movie movie.
 

President Bagel

New member
Nov 18, 2009
543
0
0
Thief: The movie: The game. What could possibly go wrong?

ffronw said:
"The Thief series has spanned over fifteen years and four sequels continually retaining loyal audiences and attracting new fans with each iteration. Widely considered to be one of the greatest games ever created, a fifth sequel is currently in development to be released in step with this motion picture adaptation."
Actually, there's technically only two Thief sequels and one reboot iteration. But hey, go right on ahead with continuing to soil the legacy of what is in my mind the greatest video game trilogy of all time.
 

Mike000

New member
Nov 22, 2007
56
0
0
As crap as it was...it was not a reboot. It was a centuries-later sequel with the protagonist being a descendant.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
8,577
2,907
118
Mike000 said:
As crap as it was...it was not a reboot. It was a centuries-later sequel with the protagonist being a descendant.
Are you sure? Because at no point in that game, do I recall anyone saying anything to that effect. We see some ruins of the Keepers, but that doesn't mean it's after the fact. It could be an alternate timeline, where the Keepers died off, and, perhaps at some point later, Garrett refounds them. But that doesn't mean it's building off the previous storylines, and this is generations later.

Seriously, did they ever say that? If they did, please elaborate, because I was REALLY looking for anything that might suggest that, after finding the Keeper ruins. But aas far as I was able to uncover, it was a completely dead plot thread that went nowhere.
 

The Madman

New member
Dec 7, 2007
4,404
0
0
No thank you. As much as I absolutely love the original trilogy, even Deadly Shadows, this is one series that should just be left alone.

Maybe an HD re-release or remaster or whatever they're calling them now of the original games would interest me, but even that's a pretty big maybe as I have little faith in Square's vision for the series after that disastrous 2014 game.
 

cikame

New member
Jun 11, 2008
585
0
0
I liked Thi4f a lot, either all the hate for it set me up for low expectations or it was actually a good game, not perfect mind you the repeated back tracking through the main hub areas was dull, but the story in general and gameplay mechanics were all good, really liked the tone of it.
If they want to make a movie why not, maybe it'll be good and maybe the game will be good too, history tells us it's unlikely but nobodies going to complain if we're wrong.
 

Mike000

New member
Nov 22, 2007
56
0
0
Happyninja42 said:
Mike000 said:
As crap as it was...it was not a reboot. It was a centuries-later sequel with the protagonist being a descendant.
Are you sure? Because at no point in that game, do I recall anyone saying anything to that effect. We see some ruins of the Keepers, but that doesn't mean it's after the fact. It could be an alternate timeline, where the Keepers died off, and, perhaps at some point later, Garrett refounds them. But that doesn't mean it's building off the previous storylines, and this is generations later.

Seriously, did they ever say that? If they did, please elaborate, because I was REALLY looking for anything that might suggest that, after finding the Keeper ruins. But aas far as I was able to uncover, it was a completely dead plot thread that went nowhere.
Yeah, I'm sure - one of the levels was a ruined keeper library, the book in the cutscene at the beginning had hammerite symbols on it, and one of the collectibles was Garett's clockwork eye. Overall it was WAY too subtle. Probably a result of mashing multiple rewrites together.
 

Wilco86

New member
Oct 5, 2011
99
0
0
Mike000 said:
Happyninja42 said:
Mike000 said:
As crap as it was...it was not a reboot. It was a centuries-later sequel with the protagonist being a descendant.
Are you sure? Because at no point in that game, do I recall anyone saying anything to that effect. We see some ruins of the Keepers, but that doesn't mean it's after the fact. It could be an alternate timeline, where the Keepers died off, and, perhaps at some point later, Garrett refounds them. But that doesn't mean it's building off the previous storylines, and this is generations later.

Seriously, did they ever say that? If they did, please elaborate, because I was REALLY looking for anything that might suggest that, after finding the Keeper ruins. But aas far as I was able to uncover, it was a completely dead plot thread that went nowhere.
Yeah, I'm sure - one of the levels was a ruined keeper library, the book in the cutscene at the beginning had hammerite symbols on it, and one of the collectibles was Garett's clockwork eye. Overall it was WAY too subtle. Probably a result of mashing multiple rewrites together.
It really is uncanny, how there can be two Garretts with friends called Basso, and it not being a reboot but centuries (?) later. Facepalming all the way...
 

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
152
0
0
If they can't make a decent Thief game with its graphics, mechanics and "storytelling" compared to the originals. Then how in the world do they think they have the ability to write a reliable script?
 

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
May 3, 2020
1,620
81
33
Country
Free-Dom
I...hm.

Well, maybe it'll be-

Hm.

...Whelp!

 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
RobertEHouse said:
they think they have the ability to write a reliable script?
It will have a girl hire the thief to steal the MacGuffin, they will fall in love, he steals the thing, she is kidnapped and the villain tries to arrange an exchange, Thief shows up and shoots everyone. Boom. Just saved you $15.

OT; Warcraft barely succeeded, Assassins Creed was a bomb, I don't know why they think a Thief based movie will make them all the money. I would keep an eye on the release date. If it's January, or some time around June/July, then the studio knows it's going to fail.
 

Potjeslatinist

New member
Feb 3, 2016
114
0
0
Happyninja42 said:
Mike000 said:
As crap as it was...it was not a reboot. It was a centuries-later sequel with the protagonist being a descendant.
Are you sure? Because at no point in that game, do I recall anyone saying anything to that effect. We see some ruins of the Keepers, but that doesn't mean it's after the fact. It could be an alternate timeline, where the Keepers died off, and, perhaps at some point later, Garrett refounds them. But that doesn't mean it's building off the previous storylines, and this is generations later.
At the end of Thief 3, the Keepers have absolutely died off, with Garrett being the last one ("It's not an easy thing to see a Keeper, especially one who does not wish to be seen").

So it isn't an alternate timeline. It's just the same one, written by people who didn't understand the previous games.

I'm actually playing again through Thief: The Dark Project right now, and it's still awesome. Square can fuck right off.
 

fractal_butterfly

New member
Sep 4, 2010
160
0
0
I would really have loved, if they had continued the story of Thief 3. With the pick pocket girl Garret adopted as the new protagonist and old Garret as the wise mentor figure in the background. Maybe with a plot to bring the magic back, which was eradicated from the world?
 

bjj hero

New member
Feb 4, 2009
3,180
0
0
No thank you. The last one was terrible. I stopped playing it after a handful of missions as it was dull and boring. I had lots of complaints about dishonoured but thief made it look like a master piece.