There's no such thing as a British accent!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
One thing I also wanted to know is why some British people get offended at being called:
European

meowman

Jan 25, 2010
True. There is, however, a Northern Irish Accent, a Scottish accent, a Glasswegian accent, a Yorkshire accent, a Welsh accent, a Working class accent, a cockney accent, a posh accent... lots.
i think the one most people think of as a British Accent is a half-way mix between a posh accent and standard middle-class english.
It's perfectly acceptible to call them all british accents, though. Can you distignuish between a Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese accent? Or Swahili and Affrikans?

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Calumon: I guess it's the same when you say American Accents.
Yep. Eastern seaboard, southern, Texan, Midwestern, Californian, Hawaiian... Hell, you can even divide each major American accent into sub-categories in each.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
Because when I hear someone talking in either Scottish, Welsh or English accent, and I can´t quite make out WHICH it is exactly, instead of saying something wrong or take a guess, I just go an generalize.
Like "this guy talks with an american accent." "This guy sounds South american" "He´s sounding like he comes from Africa." "Dude, definately german accent."
It´s all the same!
Each language has like millions of nuaces and before I care and learn the difference between them all, I generalize.
You would also say I sound german, but that´s as accurate as you might guess, because we have 13 states with hundreds of regions...