There's no such thing as a British accent!

-Saint

Nov 11, 2009
The part that I don't understand is why do people care if somebody else mistakes where they are from in the first place? They obviously have not been to your Country/State/Province etc. Correct them and move along.

Kayner100

May 31, 2010
well im northern irish and i have the passport on the left, you know the british one and in it, it say: nationality-british
you seem to have something against northern irish people, im not saying that northern ireland is in britain, im saying that northern irish people are british
Valkyira said:
Kayner100 said:
i said technically because of the definitions of wikipedia, in fact people from northern ireland are british since they are all british citizens and have british passports, same with the falklands

I'll also think you'll find, Northern Irish people have Irish passports or those of the United Kingdom. Not British. The first passport is that of the United Kingdom (which Northern Ireland is a part of) The second is a purely Irish passport. Irish people do not use a British passport. As you can see, it says 'United Kingdom Of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.' Why would they say 'and Northern Ireland' if they were a part of Britain? Because Northern Ireland is not part of Britain.

ThePantomimeThief

Nov 9, 2009
Valkyira said:
Hahah! I love that guy. Is he being serious or is this a joke? There was a girl from Skins who spoke like that, she pissed me off.
It's a joke - although some of the students down here are actually like it. So depressing - they're the people that are going to run our country's major businesses. And I've had the pleasure of seeing them 'chunder everywhere' and piss up against people's cars. A wonderful bunch, the upper classes.

I'm really tempted to buy this though: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Cameron-Gap-Yah-T-Shirt-Chundered-Everywah-M-/130395279639?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Men_s_Clothes&hash=item1e5c2a1117

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
Kayner100 said:
well im northern irish and i have the passport on the left, you know the british one and in it, it say: nationality-british
you seem to have something against northern irish people, im not saying that northern ireland is in britain, im saying that northern irish people are british
Valkyira said:
Kayner100 said:
i said technically because of the definitions of wikipedia, in fact people from northern ireland are british since they are all british citizens and have british passports, same with the falklands

I'll also think you'll find, Northern Irish people have Irish passports or those of the United Kingdom. Not British. The first passport is that of the United Kingdom (which Northern Ireland is a part of) The second is a purely Irish passport. Irish people do not use a British passport. As you can see, it says 'United Kingdom Of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.' Why would they say 'and Northern Ireland' if they were a part of Britain? Because Northern Ireland is not part of Britain.

I have nothing against Irish people wether they're Northern or from the Republic. The passport on the left is NOT a British passport. It is a passport of the United Kingdom.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
ThePantomimeThief said:
Valkyira said:
Hahah! I love that guy. Is he being serious or is this a joke? There was a girl from Skins who spoke like that, she pissed me off.
It's a joke - although some of the students down here are actually like it. So depressing - they're the people that are going to run our country's major businesses. And I've had the pleasure of seeing them 'chunder everywhere' and piss up against people's cars. A wonderful bunch, the upper classes.

I'm really tempted to buy this though: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Cameron-Gap-Yah-T-Shirt-Chundered-Everywah-M-/130395279639?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Men_s_Clothes&hash=item1e5c2a1117
Perah... Perha darling. That guy cracks me up.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Sparrow said:
Plurralbles said:
Sparrow said:
Yeah, it irritates me. It's ignorance, really. I just sort of screams "I can't be bothered to learn about your country". The thing I REALLY don't get is, when someone says they're Welsh they are refered to as Welsh. When someone says they're Scottish, they are refered to as Scottish. But when you're English, you're British. It just makes no sense.

Plus, a worrying amount of people think England is Britain, oppose to England being in Britain.

Plurralbles said:
...meaning that it is perfectly acceptable for people who don't hear them everyday to lump them all together.
Pff. Apparently you don't know any Americans.
pfft, it's not like I live here or anything >_>
Someone appears to be missing the point here. I meant alot of Americans are just the same, which is where you come from, so don't call the kettle black because you live in a giant pot.

I don't understand. I'm saying I'm american and if you said, "american accent" I wouldn't give a damn.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Plurralbles said:
I don't understand. I'm saying I'm american and if you said, "american accent" I wouldn't give a damn.
I find it hard to believe you like being "lumped together", as you put it before. Regardless, I did not mean you specifically.

J474

Oct 20, 2008
People seem to be saying "Oh, well, it's still an accent from Britain," but people still differentiate between what they label as a 'British accent' and a 'Scottish accent.'
Make your bloody mind up!!!

-Saint

Nov 11, 2009
I would like to point out as an American, I have never once associated the term "British Accent" with a voice sounding anything like Mr.Howle from Gilligan's Island or your nearest stereotype of it. To the average American it's the simple change in inflections in the middle of a word that pops "Oh they're from the Uk or somewhere like it" in our minds. Very similiar in the way a Boston Accent will say car as "cah" or butter as "buttah".
It is not a racial intention when we make a comment like "Oh you have a British accent", we simply don't hear it enough to distinguish. Anywho this has been pretty informative, now I'll hold my tongue before commenting in a game, I had no idea it was offensive in any way prior to reading this.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Kayner100 said:
Am I missing something here? The text in that picture specifically says "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island."

pumasuit

Aug 7, 2009
Because England has another name in Great Britain. The British were from England, always have been. They then invaded Scotland and Ireland. I don't think it is unreasonable to say a British person and an English person are one and the same.

SnakeF

Apr 25, 2009
reg42 said:
PurpleSky said:
And knowing is half the battle.
Your avatar pleases me

OT: Yeah, I know how people feel about this. People seem to think that all South Africans speak like Wikus Van De Merwe, which is very annoying.
It would be awesome if you all did. then you'd never get anything done when there's a tourist nearby because they'd constantly ask you to say Fuck.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I am British, since I have enough ancestors from this island that I can't pinpoint my exact origin, but I have a very English accent. You can't really complain about people being unable to distinguish, since that is the truth: they cannot distinguish between the different accents within this country. It's not their own fault and there is nothing they can do about it.

jark.jark

Dec 6, 2009
maninahat said:
Well, if we are splitting hairs, why not point out that there is no such thing as "the English Language". Seeing as how English is spoken by Americans, Australians, the British etc. It seems in accurate to label it all as "English".
Why wouldn't you call it english? What with the english people passing it on to the welsh and the scotts. When we colonised Australia and America we continued to use our language. Just because these countries are now independant and/or have their own national identities, doesn't mean they can claim english as there own language.

OT: No one cares. I couldn't tell you where a particular french accent came from if I heard it, so why should an american know which type of british accent we have?

Pokedude1013

Oct 27, 2009
THERE IS NO SUCH THING.
There is also no such thing as a Chinese accent; since there are so many accents within China as there are many dialects.

Also no such thing as an American accent; as you have SOUTHERN and NORTHERN and WESTERN accents.

Yep tis the truth.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING I R THE ANGRY JUSTL IKE U

THGhost

Mar 18, 2009
I never thought of it that way. But now that you've mentioned it, it does kinda get on my nerves that people don't specify it as an ENGLISH accent.

I guess you could say that there is no such thing as an American accent either in that case?