There's something distinctly wrong with Far Cry 6

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
The weapon jamming was crap. You could see one of the shotguns visibly degrade with every shot. It's not "realistic"; it's artificial difficulty to force players to use different weapons without having to bother with weapon balancing.
They did, some guns last longer and don't jam as often as others.

An AK-47 will last long but it won't have the pin-point accuracy of a scoped AR-15 that does burst fire.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
They did, some guns last longer and don't jam as often as others.

An AK-47 will last long but it won't have the pin-point accuracy of a scoped AR-15 that does burst fire.
Far Cry 2 is a bit of a haze for me, but I recall it being a pain in the beginning, but eventually you either just got used to it or improved. Maybe you could upgrade your guns or you got better at repairs, but I actually had completely forgotten that was even a mechanic until it was mentioned just now so it must not have left a lasting impression on me.

That was definitely a period in gaming where the world kind of opened up in regards to what you could do with physics and animation. Its sad how much of that Ubisoft has specifically dialed back on in favor of engines that can auto-generate landscapes. It wouldn't surprise me if they can't even do that stuff like the interactive desk fan in their current engine. I wouldn't say Far Cry 6 felt lifeless, but I did notice how non-interactive the environment was. Weirdly what bothered me most is that they did something to the environment that's made it much more difficult to climb on things. You can now only climb on things with specifically coded hard points so I was constantly running into fences I couldn't climb over or building roofs where I could only climb on one specific lip. You'd have to go all the way a round a yard at random because you couldn't climb the fence and then could climb the exact same fence in another yard. I never saw that in other Far Cry's as far as I can recall, but it happens constantly in Far Cry 6 and is really jarring.

Reactions: BrawlMan

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Apparently Ubisoft is sending out emails shaming people for not playing this game enough as well, for an extra dose of pure bullshit.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I was wondering why the game had a weirdly low metacritic audience score, now I see that it was due to the LGBT stuff. Not to say that any other criticisms are wrong, but when a game has a 3/10 you already know certain groups are pissed about something.

Anyway, I already knew all I needed to about the game when I saw the little dog companion in the trailers. It's pretty damn cute, but this couldn't make it more obvious that Ubisoft has run out of ideas. Every time I see a game making a big deal about a furry companion, I just think that they're pandering. Haven't been wrong so far.

What's funny to me about this new Far Cry is that the setting isn't unique. Far Cry 3 did the tropical island again, but it was revamping the series so I'll forgive that. Far Cry 4 did the Himalayas. 5 did Midwestern US. 6 is just... a tropical island with that dusty orange filter that Hollywood uses to remind you that you're in some shit third world South American country. So if you're going to give us pretty much the exact same game as before, why would I bother when I could play previous games set in much more interesting locales?
I dunno there really isnt LBGT stuff tbh. The trans character is a major part of one of the areas but it does feel like the character is trans for the sake of it. Outside of a few mentions nothing about the character is different because of them being trans. It does feel like a male character they added some trans references to for inclusion reasons.

However maybe that's good? Right? What i mean by that is you have a major character that is trans and treated no differently by anyone because of it. The ultimate inclusion. Everything we see a trans character in other media there is always a problem because they are protrayed as a victim or they are a villian or they are whatever, some negative standout.

In this case the trans character is like everyone else. Uninteresting for the most part and maybe that is what the trans community wanted in a trans character. Some who isnt treated any differently and is just part of the team of whatever.

Either way it didnt bother me none. Character was a good DJ tbh.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Apparently Ubisoft is sending out emails shaming people for not playing this game enough as well, for an extra dose of pure bullshit.
Call me crazy but it does feel like a shorter Ubisoft game. But i didnt do everything on the map because some of the side activities felt stupid and a hassle.

Fishing for example sucks. And the big mini game where you send minions out to do shit from a world of warcraft style war table was pointless. Mostly because the missions take too long. You send these people on missions for a real 1-6 hours of time and the game never tells you that the mission is finished so the player never checks and is off having actual fun shooting things. It is incredibly poor design.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'm still finding FC 6 fun, if not particularly memorable. Seeing how progressing in the story raised the challenge level of the different locations, I did all the side stuff before progressing in the game. And sadly, I had way more fun on that "other Ubisoft stuff" i.e. checkpoints, strongholds, assaults, races, collecting... than I am now progressing through the story. I just don't care about these characters. Just lost 2 fairly big characters in a mission... probably the 2 most interesting in that set of missions. And it was just "oh no that guy died... oh well." And move on. And of course, it turns out those challenge levels on the map that go up as the game progresses... I can't see that they make any difference at all.

I'm also apparently doing it in the "wrong" order. It created this funny moment where in one mission I was there and someone the main bad guy loved was murdered. Dany wasn't the one who pulled the trigger, but he was there and involved. And I moved directly into a mission where Dany was captured by the main bad guy... and he let me escape. Also, the big sub-boss of that area was killed in a cutscene in that mission... so I'm curious as to how the game handles that considering I haven't done any of the story missions in that area yet.

As basic as the story in FC 5 was, it did avoid all those story pitfalls... ok mostly. Still, I'm thinking the positives of 6 are still in the "Ubisoft stuff" area. I love that they added an ultra light, its super fun to pilot. I love that one of the tuk-tuks has an alligator mascot body. Its perfect for killing sprees. They change up the objectives a little better as well. In previous FC games it was either races, collectables, or base takeovers; and ALL base takeovers had to be done 1 way only... stealth. You could go in loud, but since you got more rewards for stealth that was always the "right" way to do them. 6 has the basic strongholds, and checkpoints and assaults where it doesn't matter how you get it done. I can drive in wearing all orange, run over a guy with a gator tuk-tuk, get out and hose everything down in fire and explosions... and its the same reward as it would have been if no one had seen me at all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't even know there was DLC coming for this game. Apparently receptions not too hot of it either.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I don't even know there was DLC coming for this game. Apparently receptions not too hot of it either.

Like the DLC for Far Cry 5, I just don't feel compelled to come back and retread the gameplay loop of Far Cry with visual twists so soon and by the time I will I'd rather just play something new. As I was watching video it occured to me I wish Ubisoft would buy the license to Postal and do a new one of those, though in the current political climate I imagine a nuanced approach to Postal would be impossible.

Its funny how gamers are built in degrees. I always walk into every conversation ignorantly assuming everyone would see the same glaring concerns I have with games when it comes to questionable development choices, but more often than not, games I find to be borderline shovelware are embraced by others as sliced bread 2.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Its funny how gamers are built in degrees. I always walk into every conversation ignorantly assuming everyone would see the same glaring concerns I have with games when it comes to questionable development choices, but more often than not, games I find to be borderline shovelware are embraced by others as sliced bread 2.0.
I've met my fair share gamers that thinks they are getting the best thing ever, or a completely ignorant of the situation. Usually I bring it down to them gently, though not all the time, on what features keep getting taken out or missing that was already parted experience in the last game. Sometimes I come with" You do know you're getting screwed out of was essentially a part of the last game in the first place right? And made as shoddy DLC." When I give him the proof, they're either in shock, surprise, or never thought it could happen. You get a few that try to get a bit defensive or try to downplay it, but I'm like it's your money do whatever you want. Just remember there's always a better deal around the corner or a better game. It does ruin their confidence, or most decide to start second guessing.

I remember being this one kid that was turning 18 soon and he got burnt hard by Anthem. He got really upset buying into the high. I told them it happens everyone at some point and more than once. I told him now you know. He had already started looking at info for games before they come out and what DLCs they have. I haven't told them don't even bother with EA, Ubisoft, Activision, or most of the Western AAA publishers at this point. He definitely took it to heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I got Far Cry 5 free on Epic Store I think. I'll wait for it to be $10 or less
Probably not a bad idea. If you have 5 (or the first half of 3, or blood dragon) you have a better Far Cry game. I only got 6 because I was kind of sick of working through my backlog waiting for a game I actually want. I don't regret buying FC 6, I've heard with 7 they are going toward a subscription service style entry so 6 will be my last FC game game anyway. I'm still undecided on the DLC's. As good villains as Vaas, Min, and Joseph Seed were, I'm really not interested in playing as them. I'm maybe interested in the stories enough to watch a let's play or just the cutscenes on youtube or something.