These are the rules that the actual pros play MW2 by

Gh0st1y_H

Jan 11, 2010
Jazzyluv2 said:
first off, people don't no shit about competitive game design, MW2 from a fun standpoint is good. It's great to run around with retarded set ups, knife only, and all that stupid shit.

I know you may not understand this, but some things in games are SHALLOW AS FUCK and are detrimental to competitive play.

Let's say the banning of said "items" (NEVER TACTICS) "ITEMS" made the game fundamentally more dynamic, more skilled, and more COMPETITIVE.

I know it may come as a shock to you, but often times too much choice in games equals a broken and shallow game. MW2 is damn near the definition of shallow FPS's.

I know the people that can't aim, top frag against people who don't know what they are doing think that all these tools are great. But at higher levels these exploitations and tools can fundamentally break the game to be a detriment to skill, tactics, and strategy.

It's making the game better, getting rid of the gimmick, that is MW2 gameplay.
This.

I actually used to like the game, but then I started to realize that this quote is true in every way, shape, and form.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Jonny49 said:
What ever happened to playing for fun?
The moment you become a "professional" your own entertainment becomes a non-issue. You are getting PAID to do a job and most jobs come with a list of requirements.

If, in this case, we are using the word professional incorrectly (which I suspect is true), then the use of rules is still common. After all, it is often the case that rules exist because of known exploits or unbalacing concepts or tactics, and if not, the rules help establish a baseline of what is being measured as far as performance is concerned.

Contextualizer

Jan 8, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
Contextualizer said:
Tdc2182 said:
Sports involves exercise. Video games are for recreation
So...you can't have recreational exercise? Or non-physical sports like tournament chess? Really?
Yeah, that is the "apropriate" definition. But that doesn't mean it is an actual "sport". A sport involves some form of strenuous physical activity. In short, it involves working muscle. People who call board games like chess and checkers "sport" are antisociable idiots. Its one of those things that most people have redefined themselves.
That's all really ironic since you're the one who is apparently pretty angry and worked up on the internet about a video game.

phalanx1234

Jan 12, 2010
chronobreak said:
phalanx1234 said:
It's called trolling, it's fun. Everyone needs to get over it, it's text.
I don't think he was trolling, and besides, it isn't allowed on these forums anyways.
Normally people would say stuff like OMG F**KING NEWB TUBE in game not on a forum which is what my quote was directed at.

It's also against the rules/law to murder people, people still do it. It's against the rules/law to rape people, though people still do it etc.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
So they're only pro at half the game?

If they want a standard shooter with none of the perks, streaks etc. that COD offers, then why dont they just play CSS instead?

Seems retarded to play a game, then only use half the shit that the devs put in.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Having very restraining game rules is productive if you're trying to demonstrate something to a newbie, or if you're playing with physics, or if you're having a tournament. It's also great if you want to experiment and control the variables to better understand the damage effects of a given weapon in different environments. Meanwhile, there is absolutely no point in playing that way the rest of the time, unless you are dedicated to tournaments.

For a start, it's important to remember that being good at Modern Warfare 2 is being good at the standard game, and the standard rules, with the entire available arsenal. If you can only master one variation of many, then that means that you need a certain level of control in your environment to win. From the perspective of an idealistic gaming warrior, that's a weakness.

The fact of the matter is, by cutting yourself off from most of the available weaponry in the game, you're not getting the full possible value out of the product, and that's not a practical use of your money or your time.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
phalanx1234 said:
dekkarax said:
I don't mind when people set rules for private tournaments.

It's when they start leaking into the base game that gets on my nerves.
So you have a problem with someone playing these rules? When I'm in pub, I will never use any of the weapons. Why? I find the game more enjoyable without them, I also still find it easy to overcome all the other people because they can't aim.
True, but generally people tend to try and enforce rules on others in public games. As long as people keep their preferences to themselves I'm fine.

phalanx1234

Jan 12, 2010
dekkarax said:
phalanx1234 said:
dekkarax said:
I don't mind when people set rules for private tournaments.

It's when they start leaking into the base game that gets on my nerves.
So you have a problem with someone playing these rules? When I'm in pub, I will never use any of the weapons. Why? I find the game more enjoyable without them, I also still find it easy to overcome all the other people because they can't aim.
True, but generally people tend to try and enforce rules on others in public games. As long as people keep their preferences to themselves I'm fine.
It's not trying to enforce. It's a combination of suggesting + trolling + baiting. Even non "Professionals" say people are using newb guns etc.

Jun 11, 2008
Contextualizer said:
Posted on Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/amxjm/im_going_to_the_international_gamestop_10k_finals/c0iebyo?context=1] by someone who plays MW2 professionally:

Perks:
No Bling
No One Man Army

Equipment:
No grenade launchers
No claymores
No C4
No secondary launchers
No blast shields
No tactical insertions
No riot shields
No secondary shotguns

Rules:
No killstreaks
Deathstreaks must be set to copycat in most PC leagues

What do you guys think? Are these rules you happen to play by as well? Would you mind playing by/want to play with them? I follow everything except for tactical insertion. And I use a Stinger in one class, but that's not really an issue if there are no killstreaks.

Personally, I would love to be able to play like that, even without the killstreaks and tactical insertions. Shame it's not possible on MW2 :(
Well it would be possible with mods infact tournament style CoD4 with pb mod was quite fun even though it strips down perks to basically just stopping power and steady aim.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Contextualizer said:
Tdc2182 said:
Contextualizer said:
Tdc2182 said:
Sports involves exercise. Video games are for recreation
So...you can't have recreational exercise? Or non-physical sports like tournament chess? Really?
Yeah, that is the "apropriate" definition. But that doesn't mean it is an actual "sport". A sport involves some form of strenuous physical activity. In short, it involves working muscle. People who call board games like chess and checkers "sport" are antisociable idiots. Its one of those things that most people have redefined themselves.
That's all really ironic since you're the one who is apparently pretty angry and worked up on the internet about a video game.
I'm sorry? How I am worked up about a video game? All I have said was that none of them were very cheap perks. Are you so angry about me saying that chess isn't it a sport that you have to go so low as to say I am to worked up over a videogame? First of all, I'm not. Second, You are on a GAMING forum. Believe it or not, you will find some people who enjoy videogames here
I'm sorry pal but you are the one who is taking things Waaay to seriously right now. I think that most would agree with me too. Get a life pal.

Contextualizer

Jan 8, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
I'm sorry? How I am worked up about a video game? All I have said was that none of them were very cheap perks. Are you so angry about me saying that chess isn't it a sport that you have to go so low as to say I am to worked up over a videogame? First of all, I'm not. Second, You are on a GAMING forum. Believe it or not, you will find some people who enjoy videogames here
I'm sorry pal but you are the one who is taking things Waaay to seriously right now. I think that most would agree with me too. Get a life pal.
I know you're trying to use my rhetoric against me, but it doesn't take anger or a foul mood to point out how and what someone typed. See for yourself:

You said:
People who call board games like chess and checkers "sport" are antisociable idiots.
That's kind of harsh and completely baseless. So why else would you write something rude like that?

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Contextualizer said:
Tdc2182 said:
I know you're trying to use my rhetoric against me, but it doesn't take anger or a foul mood to point out how and what someone typed. See for yourself:
Well, I typed that because you thought videogames were a sport. I was just saying that people who think that are idiots. In fact it is right up there somewhere. Are you trying to say that I denied saying that? Cus I most certainly did not deny it. I meant it all. I am not in any foul mood, just a little exasperated and a little confused on what you are trying to proove to me.

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
This seems a bit elitist to me. If you take out all those things and use pretty much, only guns and nothing else, you may as well play counterstrike or unreal tournament.

But the option to remove some perks on servers would be good idea because then everyone is happy. for people who arent bothered by it they can join the no rules servers and for the people who are bothered by things like tubes and claymores they can go and join servers with other like minded people

OhJayEee

Sep 26, 2009
Well, I have one class that's a riot shield with a shotgun, so I think I'm violating at least two rules there. And my LMG class carries a thumper, and I totally blinged out my Barret .50 cal. And I never use copycat. And I LOVE the predator missiles.

You know what, these rules suck.