These Beautiful Thermal Springs Could Have Been A Deep Blue

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
These Beautiful Thermal Springs Could Have Been A Deep Blue

Yellowstone National Park's iconic thermal springs used to be a different color, before people started dropping their trash in it.

Outside of Old Faithful, one of the most memorable sights of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/yellowstone%20national%20park?os=yellowstone+national+park>Yellowstone National Park is the beautiful thermal springs. The water of the Morning Glory pool, for example, is filled with green, orange, and yellow shades, but what's unique is they have nothing to do with nature. Those colors only exist here because tourists have been throwing their garbage into the spring and blocking an underwater vent. So what would it have looked like if humans hadn't touched it? A deep, uniform blue.

Sadly, that's not something we can see directly right now; the vents are so clogged with coins, trash, rocks, and other debris that even periodic eruptions haven't cleared them. Instead, researchers from Montana State University and Brandenburg University of Applied Sciences in Germany generated mathematical models for the springs physical and chemical characteristics.

"What we were able to show is that you really don't have to get terribly complex," said Montana State University professor Joseph Shaw. "You can explain some very beautiful things with relatively simple models."

The water's colors are formed by microbial mats, a term used to describe layered groups of bacteria. When the thermal springs vents were blocked, it lowered the water's temperature, which changed the composition of the mats. But these models could be applied to Morning Glory from the 1880s to 1940s, when temperatures were much higher. The result was a blue that can only be seen in deeper waters thanks to how light scatters.

[gallery=3670]

The study's authors originally started this project for fun, but quickly realized there was very little research on the topic. Color changes like this allow scientists to quickly understand how bodies of water are changing at the bacterial level, which means this simple study could have bigger implications. "There are people at my university who are world experts in the biological side of what's going on in the pools," Shaw explained. "They're looking for ways to monitor changes in the biology - when the biology changes, that causes color changes - so we're actually looking at possibilities of collaborating in the future."

Source: Washington Post

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...couldn't they clean it out with a robot?

Or, is it too risky/too hot?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Tanis said:

I think the first question is weather anyone with the funds cares. It's made them look nicer, I doubt everyone is in a hurry to change that. After all is it really a negative?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
They have tried to induce an eruption to clear it out, but that has been unsuccessful. Damn shame really. It's a nice looking pool when it's completely blue.

RicoADF said:
Tanis said:

I think the first question is weather anyone with the funds cares. It's made them look nicer, I doubt everyone is in a hurry to change that. After all is it really a negative?
Well, the pool is gradually cooling, which is what is causing the color change. Eventually it won't be blue at all.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
RicoADF said:
Tanis said:

One would think that pressurizing an already unstable region even more with closed vents is a bad thing... but the you remmeber that most of people with funds dont even believe in global warming.....

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Looks better? Before I read the full article that explained what was going on, I assumed the other colors were literally pollutants. It doesn't really look any better in the other photos.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
As I read the heading "These Beautiful Thermal Springs Could Have Been A Deep Blue," my mind went "But humans did something stupid didn't they?"

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Panic over everyone, I cleaned the springs back to a lovely deep blue

And as an added bonus Aquaman's been posted there to make sure there's no more littering in the puddles!

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I know a lot of people are morons but what the hell? What is it that makes people go: "Wow, what a beautiful place, lets throw some trash in it!"?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
How is it that people aren't getting caught by park rangers and fined for this?