These Incredible Storms on Uranus Are Baffling Scientists

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
These Incredible Storms on Uranus Are Baffling Scientists

Sudden, intense storms on Uranus are puzzling astronomers - storms they would have expected seven years ago.

Seven years ago, Uranus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/uranus] reached its closest approach to the Sun, an event that happens once every 42 years. This proximity to our stellar heat source would have explained storms in the planet's atmosphere - but the storms are happening now, years late, and scientists don't understand why.

"This type of activity would have been expected in 2007, when Uranus' once-every-42-year equinox occurred and the Sun shined directly on the equator," research co-investigator Heidi Hammel, of the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, said in a statement. "But we predicted that such activity would have died down by now. Why we see these incredible storms now is beyond anybody's guess."

Imke de Pater, the project's lead researcher and an astronomer at the University of California, Berkeley, said this is the most active weather pattern he and his team have observed on Uranus in the past decade. The storms have gotten so severe that even amateur astronomers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/astronomy] are able to observe them.

The W. M. Keck II Telescope in Hawaii first observed that something was amiss on Uranus on August 5 and 6 of this year. In October, the Hubble Space Telescope was assigned to the case and investigated the planet in several different wavelengths of light. According to the results, the storms are forming in Uranus' uppermost cloud layer of methane-ice. The gas giant Uranus, the seventh planet from the Sun and fourth largest planet in our solar system, has the coldest atmosphere of all the planets and a complex, layered cloud structure. The lowermost cloud layers are thought to be water, while the uppermost are methane.

Here is one image of the storms captured in August, as well as a more recent image showing the storm in infrared (click for full-res):

[gallery=3515]

"The colors and morphology of this cloud complex suggests that the storm may be tied to a vortex in the deeper atmosphere similar to two large cloud complexes seen during the equinox," said Larry Sromovsky, a planetary scientist at the University of Wisconsin.

Check out these other pictures of Uranus:

[gallery=3514]

Source: Space [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/12/mysterious_storms_rip_apart_uranus_to_expose_spotty_interior/]

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
I really wish you'd picked a better sentence to end that...

Oh well, let the lame puns begin!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I'd guess that the lower layers are still warm but the higher ones have cooled off causing a difference in tempreture and thus the storms. Strange it's taken this long though but it is a huge planet so guess it's alot of gas to let off..... from Uranus.

SAMAS said:
Oh well, let the lame puns begin!
Request granted.

Aug 1, 2010
Rhykker said:
Sudden, intense storms on Uranus are puzzling astronomers
Oh, sorry, that was the Taco Bell last night.

OT:
I wonder if that poor planet will ever not be funny. The name just fits with absolutely any sentence.

Still, beautiful images.

silverleaf81

Oct 2, 2009
I loled at the Title.

By the way, I have to point out that Uranus and Neptune are "Ice Giants [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_giant]", not "Gas Giants [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_giant]". Ice Giants are like Gas Giants, but made of different materials and have different properties compared to regular Gas Giants like Jupiter and Saturn.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Check out these other pictures of Uranus:
Where did you get those???????

On a related note, I first saw this news through Facebook. It looks like this is being used by folks to "debunk" man-made climate change on Earth. Already.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
I don't understand how I wrote that entire article without once ever considering it would be read as "your anus." The title, the last sentence... oh man. I don't think I could have *deliberately* made it any funnier.

I guess it's because I pronounce it your-uh-nus.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Rhykker said:
I don't understand how I wrote that entire article without once ever considering it would be read as "your anus." The title, the last sentence... oh man. I don't think I could have *deliberately* made it any funnier.

I guess it's because I pronounce it your-uh-nus.
I personally pronounce it OO-RAN-OUS/OWS. No punticular puns to be found here.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
I cant wait until 2620, the time when scientists get sick of stupid Uranus jokes so they change the name of the planet...

...to Urectum.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
It's funny, I don't pronounce the planet's name like a lot of people do. I remember seeing an anime when I was young, "Not sailor moon, this looked like a drama/fantasy thing" the only thing I can recall clearly was the way they pronounced the name. Yer-ann-is. So ... I guess it still sounds like "urine" but said quickly enough it's still better then Youranus.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ajarat said:
Wrecked 'im? Damn near killed 'im!

OT: So, what we are learn here is that our ability to accurately predict the weather is about as dodgey over there as it is here. You can plot out many computations as to how likely a thing is going to be or not be, but that doesn't make it a definite prediction. There's a margin for error which I would say is...perfectly understandable.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Doesn't matter how old you get, you never stop sniggering at headlines like that.

Okay, serious face. This is pretty cool. Space is a good place atm!

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
man I wonder if in the future when humans finally learn how to terraform planets so that we can live anywhere.
Will people make fun of humans originally born in Uranus?

like if my great, great, great, great, etc. grandchildren make fun of other kids because they were born and raised in Uranus, I'm gonna hunt them and be all like "oooooooohhhhh I'm a ghost mofo! Stop being a planetary racist!" and then I give 'em ghost diarrhea...

anyways, cool pictures

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
How good is the word 'Baffling', though? It's the best word. That's how good it is.

OT: I'll bet at least a theory is announced within the next month.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
dragongit said:
It's funny, I don't pronounce the planet's name like a lot of people do. I remember seeing an anime when I was young, "Not sailor moon, this looked like a drama/fantasy thing" the only thing I can recall clearly was the way they pronounced the name. Yer-ann-is. So ... I guess it still sounds like "urine" but said quickly enough it's still better then Youranus.
The original Roman pronunciation was closer to Oo-ran-us, as I understand it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Finally! Something to over shadow that kim kardashian business! And vast improvement to, if you ask me.
Those pics are quite astounding (of Uranus, not ...oh nevermind!)