These Incredible Storms on Uranus Are Baffling Scientists

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Storms on Uranus? Take a Pepito Bismol! If that doesn't work, consult both a Proctologist and an Astronomer. Both will use their own special telescopes to look up just whats causing the storms on Uranus.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Check out these other pictures of Uranus:
Where did you get those???????

On a related note, I first saw this news through Facebook. It looks like this is being used by folks to "debunk" man-made climate change on Earth. Already.
I genuinely wonder how one could come to the conclusion that man-made climate change is not real from unexplained storms on Uranus...

Altercator

Jan 15, 2008
How come no one make a Greek Myth joke about Uranus?
Kronos cuts off Uranus' balls! There's a storm of puns to be made out of that!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
VanQ said:
I genuinely wonder how one could come to the conclusion that man-made climate change is not real from unexplained storms on Uranus...
Several climate change arguments rely on the conditions that exist on other planets (i.e. "the other planets are all warming, too, so it can't be us"), which are used to indicate this is a natural cycle, quite possibly related to the sun. The one specific story I read before I passed out from head desking was from someone who seems to think that an increase in storms there has parity to the increase in major storms we've been seeing here. Which would make more sense if we had any evidence of it being a trend, or Uranus was similar in terms of structure or atmosphere to Earth, or...well, everything.

I guess the short answer is "a basic science fail."

johnnybleu

Oct 2, 2014
VanQ said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Check out these other pictures of Uranus:
Where did you get those???????

On a related note, I first saw this news through Facebook. It looks like this is being used by folks to "debunk" man-made climate change on Earth. Already.
I believe that's what they call "grasping at straws".

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Saulkar said:
I personally pronounce it OO-RAN-OUS/OWS. No punticular puns to be found here.
Dare I ask, a fellow CGP Grey fan?

OT: Sometimes when I read that scientists are baffled, I imagine a scientist pouting and saying "humph my universe isn't acting right."

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
BrownGaijin said:
Saulkar said:
I personally pronounce it OO-RAN-OUS/OWS. No punticular puns to be found here.
Dare I ask, a fellow CGP Grey fan?
You got me but then again ever since I was 4 I tried to read using my phonetic interpretation of the alphabet (cucumber was spelled qcambr) and thus I never pronounced it in a typical fashion from the very beginning.

Speaking of which, I used to pronounce Hermione Herm-mo-niny. XD

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Rhykker said:
I don't understand how I wrote that entire article without once ever considering it would be read as "your anus." The title, the last sentence... oh man. I don't think I could have *deliberately* made it any funnier.

I guess it's because I pronounce it your-uh-nus.
You guys are usually masters at eye cathcing pun titles, why oh why did that instinct fail to kick in on the most obvious subject.

A simple 'mistake' would have done it, "These Incredible Storms in Uranus Are Baffling Scientists"