These June Game Sales Numbers Are Kind of Depressing

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I wonder how much longer before Steam sales are factored in to the numbers. I know they're not currently factored in at all.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
What the heck do people have against reviewers/critics? My god, you'd think that they had killed a couple of people's families.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
One television commercial on the Syfy channel would have probably doubled Child of Eden sales. Same with suda's game. The ONLY news I saw on the game was here on the escapist. Duke's commercial was set to a rock overture and involved aliens and monster trucks.

*sold*

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
It's been 1 month. I think everyone needs to chill out. It's very possible that Children of Eden will be a sleeper hit.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I'm rather glad that Ocarina of Time didn't do very well, Nintendo needs to understand that they can't keep rehashing tired old shit and expect to survive forever. Maybe they'll stop being pussies and venture out into new IP's.

Kinect can suck eggs, the only one I feel bummed for is Shadows of the Damned, even though I still didn't buy it.

HotKakes

Aug 2, 2008
Huh, so I was one of 24,000 who bought Shadows of the Damned. I almost feel like I'm in a special club. I wonder how Alice sold.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
Responses to why DNF outsold CoE:

Typical hardcore gamer: It's not a shooter! It's E-rated! It has the option using Kinect! Gimmick! Kiddy! Casual! Duke is HARDCORE! It's got GUNS! And TITS!

Typical Escapist response: It has little to no story. That means it is a lesser game for the casuals. And it uses Kinect, and REAL gamers don't use Kinect...

Typical casual gamer response: I never heard of either of those... Can I play them on my Wii?

The hardcores hate Kinnect, it was barely advertised so the casuals will not have heard of it. As for SotD, I am also very discouraged. I didn't even know about its existence until I saw a Let's Play of it.
Wow. I hope this isn't what you actually believe. These stereotypes are idiotic, and more importantly, absolutely meaningless.

As for the sales numbers, I'm not surprised. There has been over a decade of anticipation for Duke Nukem while none for Children of Eden. It is hard to compete with that. I think the bigger problem for some of the lesser advertised games is the lack of a readily available demo and trailer for games like Alice and Shadows of the Damned on XBL or PSN. Coming out with demos after the release of the game also doesn't help. By then, it just becomes another game that is old and can wait till it hits the bargain bin.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
RanD00M said:
Very objective article you have there John.... If it only were.
While I get that you are upset that DNF outsold some games that you enjoyed, this article is pretty damn unprofessional in its subjectivity.
This was my thought exactly. It sounds like OT just didn't like DNF and is complaining about it outselling games he preferred. While I'm not about to lay down $60 on DNF, I certainly don't think it's so bad as to deserve this. Particularly so as I've no intention of purchasing Child of Eden. I don't see anything depressing here. Am I missing something?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
So basically, a slick, well marketed AAA game with 12+ years of hype outsold a couple of small games that were marketed so poorly that even I, a guy who spends most of his internet time on gaming sites, had never heard of them -- to say nothing of the kind of gamers who make up the bulk of sales despite not paying much attention to the industry? Why are we supposed to be surprised about this, or even saddened?

Jun 23, 2008
John Funk said:
Q? Entertainment's Child of Eden was a beautiful, wondrous experience [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8990-Child-of-Eden-Review] that nigh-singlehandedly made the case for Kinect as a game peripheral.
-Dragmire- said:
... I assume it's a mandatory peripheral.
It's not, according to the review video. The game is actually easier with a standard control, but more immersive with Kinect. The reviewer also advised there were problems getting Kinect to work right.

238U.[footnote]In the event that Escapist requires me to view a commercial before getting a code, I will simply not post. Depending on the frequency, this may temper or cease my future participation in the Escapist community. Apologies in advance, if this policy prevents me from replying to you when it is proper to do so.[/footnote]

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Duke wasn't as bad as people insist on pretending and Child of Eden is about 2 hours long. I haven't bought either game yet myself, but Duke is higher on my list.

I bought Shadows of the Damned this week, and it may be the best god damn game I've played this year.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
With the way game companies are behaving with DLC and non-existant customer service. This can be expected. They are turning away a large portion of their customers. And they don't even realize it. Or won't until its too late.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Austichar said:
I actually really enjoyed Duke despite its flaws. Go figure. lol
This... I enjoyed my preorder. I am glad that it is doing well. It got way more bile while being competent than a lot of other games got while being nearly unplayable at release.

New Vegas and Red Dead being the foremost coming to mind.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
Typical hardcore gamer: It's not a shooter! It's E-rated! It has the option using Kinect! Gimmick! Kiddy! Casual! Duke is HARDCORE! It's got GUNS! And TITS!
Dagnabbit, I want the "hardcore" title returned to people who are actually dedicated to gaming as a whole!

*edits quote for correctness*

There:

Mr. Omega said:
Typical mainstream gamer: It's not a shooter! It's E-rated! It has the option using Kinect! Gimmick! Kiddy! Casual! Duke is HARDCORE! It's got GUNS! And TITS!
*nods*

*goes to bed*

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I recall MovieBob doing a show about something similar, although obviously with the film industry in mind. Long story short: Because The Expendables did well and Scott Pilgrim didn't in the theatres, they made a sequel to Fast And The Furious and dropped a film they were going to do about The Mountains Of Madness.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Okay, just one more...

Triforceformer said:
Honestly, dude. You could have at least fucking tried to be objective with this.
If you want objective, try reading the actual news report [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111677-Its-Another-Soft-Summer-for-Videogame-Retail].

This is an opinion piece. It's supposed to be subjective. (That said, I wouldn't claim it's a particularly good opinion piece.)