They are making a video game based movie with Rampage?!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ogoid said:
Hawki said:
Serious business? What in the trailer gave you the impression it was being taken seriously?
Considering the source material? No radioactive waste turning people into giant animals, for one.

I mean, that's the level of sheer cheesiness I'd expect from a Rampage movie.
Yeah, I'm kinda annoyed about that too. People becoming giant animal kajuis is silly, B-movie schlock but so is Rampage. Why not run with it?

Maybe they should have gone with the guys who made Kung Fury instead?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
From the director of 'San Andreas'.

Welp this movie is dead on arrival.

Initially I was thinking 'wait that gets a major studio release but they still can't get a Halo movie off the ground?' but then I realized that Halo, and games similar to Halo, have huge expansive universes worth of lore and huge armies of devoted fans who would be really pissed off if you got any details 'wrong'. I mean I fully admit I'd love to see a big budget adaptation of the original Halo Trilogy (without all that stupid Greg Bear Mantle of Responsibility B.S tacked on) but I'm the kind of of guy who would lose his shit if Thel Vadam was presented in any way other then exactly how I'd want him to be presented and I'd probably massacre everyone in the production company with my replica energy sword in retaliation, because I'm so emotionally balanced.

So yes, perhaps it is better that they do an adaption of a game that's kind of fallen into obscurity because I very much doubt there has been this huge underground community of hardcore fans of the 'lore' of Rampage, an arcade game from the 90's. As such they can mess around with it to their heart's content and don't have to follow 'the rules'. Let's not kid ourselves people this is just going to be a giant monster movie about a gorilla, wolf and crocodile duking it out in the city. I doubt very much that we'll see much more then that (though the giant lobster lady would be nice). So even calling this 'rampage' is silly, for anything other then brand recognition it might as well be called 'unusually large animals cause unpleasant amount of property damage'. It's just playing it safe I guess, you can make the movie your own with a premise that thin.

That said, this movie is like 100% going to suck. Because again, 'San Andreas'.

Hawki said:
Avnger said:
Con: No Lizzy
You see her (it?) at the end of the trailer.
Don't assume Lizzy's gender!

#genderfluidreptilians

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Somehow I have a feeling they're trying to do the same moral meaning that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes did but I just can't see it remotely working when the set-piece action showcase is more like a crappy version of King Kong vs Godzilla or movies like that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Trailer makes it look way too serious. Rampage is a light-hearted city-smasher set in a world that's more-or-less made for laughs. It's not Rampage if it's taken seriously. It's also not Rampage if there isn't additionally a Ralph somewhere in there.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Ogoid said:
Holy obscure gaming franchise to make a movie out of, Batman!

Hardly surprised they're going the "serious business" route with it, though... Hollywood seems to have forgotten how to do anything else. I'd actually be interested in something as intentionally campy and B movie-y as the games.
Not really. Rampage was basically a take on the Giant Monster destroys city B-MNovie trope of the time. Two of the monsters are an obvious King Kong and Godzilla ripoff.. SO basically this is just a giant monster movie that had so little faith in itself that it decided to borrow the branding of a franchise thatno one has cared about in over 2 decades.

I think that's why they chose rampage as well. They could easily reuse the cgi from the King Kong and recent godzilla films.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Are we sure this just isn't a coincidence because the movie sounds generic as hell.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Bob_McMillan said:
Are we sure this just isn't a coincidence because the movie sounds generic as hell.
Giant ape, wolf and lizard in a movie called "Rampage;" I'd say it's a safe bet that isn't a coincidence...

That being said, I loved the mindless, destructive fuckery of Rampage back in the day; why they felt a game like that merited a gritty, big screen adaptation is beyond me. Hollywood really has nothing better to do than reach back in time and fuck pieces of my childhood.

Mar 26, 2008
I heard about this ages ago and didn't believe it. I see the trailer and I'm still having a hard time believing it. Way to ruin my childhood.

So they've tried to ground it in realism by having the animals go supersize, rather than human George, Ralph and Lizzie mutating into massive creatures. Makes the whole "people eating" aspect a bit more palatable.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I have come to the realization that I cannot take Dwayne Johnson remotely seriously in live action.

Dude doesn't look like an action hero, he looks like a living cartoon parody of an action hero.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Jadak said:
FalloutJack said:
It's also not Rampage if there isn't additionally a Ralph somewhere in there.
Did you not notice the scenes with the giant wolf?
Completely missed it, actually. So uhh...yeah.

*Shrug*

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Vrex360 said:
From the director of 'San Andreas'.

Welp this movie is dead on arrival.
I thought San Andreas was pretty good... in a "are you fucking kidding me?" way. He's also directing a Just Cause movie starring Jason Momoa. Maybe we're witnessing the rise of a new Uwe Boll. Uwe Boll also directed a movie called Rampage, which is actually way better than his videogame movies.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
FalloutJack said:
Jadak said:
FalloutJack said:

*Shrug*
Doesn?t bode well for a film when an integral highlight of its 3 minute trailer is immediately forgettable.

This is the kind of movie that calls for Samuel L. Jackson and/or Morgan Freeman when they feel like doing one of their ?I?m a major Hollywood icon, but fuck it, I?m free for the weekend; sure, I?ll take a gig in your shitty B-film? roles like they did in ?Snakes on a Plane? or ?Wanted.? ?I?M TIRED OF THESE MUTHAFUCKIN? GIANT ANIMALS TEARING UP THESE MUTHAFUCKIN? BUILDLINGS!!? Yeah, I?d pay $8 for a small popcorn to see that kind of tongue-in-cheek taking of the piss.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
So unrealistic.

The Rock was pulling back on the cyclic instead of the collective! How are you gonna gain altitude in a helicopter if--heh--such a clutz!

No seriously, I thought Battleship was the Battleship of video game movies? I suspect people who don't know Rampage was/is a video game will just treat this like stupid fun-movie fodder. Forgettable, but something to go out and watch, I guess.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Xprimentyl said:
FalloutJack said:
Jadak said:
FalloutJack said:

*Shrug*
Doesn?t bode well for a film when an integral highlight of its 3 minute trailer is immediately forgettable.

This is the kind of movie that calls for Samuel L. Jackson and/or Morgan Freeman when they feel like doing one of their ?I?m a major Hollywood icon, but fuck it, I?m free for the weekend; sure, I?ll take a gig in your shitty B-film? roles like they did in ?Snakes on a Plane? or ?Wanted.? ?I?M TIRED OF THESE MUTHAFUCKIN? GIANT ANIMALS TEARING UP THESE MUTHAFUCKIN? BUILDLINGS!!? Yeah, I?d pay $8 for a small popcorn to see that kind of tongue-in-cheek taking of the piss.
I thought Samuel L. Jackson liked Snakes on a Plane. Liked doing it, I mean.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
FalloutJack said:
Xprimentyl said:
FalloutJack said:
Jadak said:
FalloutJack said:

*Shrug*

I thought Samuel L. Jackson liked Snakes on a Plane. Liked doing it, I mean.
Oh, he did, but he knew the film was campy, throwaway tripe; he had no delusions that he was making a blockbuster for the ages or anything so lofty. That?s what this film needs, for everyone involved to be honest with themselves, each other and us and say ?we know no one asked for this; the screenwriter got REALLY high a few weeks ago on some laced bath salts, broke out his NES, played Rampage for 12 minutes, and was found the next morning scrawling this screenplay on the walls of a truck stop restroom with his own feces, so let?s just have fun with it, m?kay?? Instead, we?re getting yet another movie with The Rock wearing a tiny t-shirt and glaring over his right shoulder while the camera pans in on his raised eyebrow because that?s what comes to mind when anyone thinks of a mindless ?80s arcade game about punching holes in buildings and eating pedestrians.