They should’ve just postponed the summer olympics 4 years

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I used to not care about the Olympics, as it's sports, and I just don't care about sports, but I felt it was a fairly harmless gathering of the various jocks and meatheads of the world, and the people obsessed with cheering for them. But, lately, I personally find ANY even that is centered around nationalism and competition, to be something I find abhorent, and wish it would just die in a fire. Nobody gives a shit about the Olympics in the time between the Olympics, and nobody gives a shit after the Olympics, the public I mean. But when it's going on, it's nothing but "Murica! USA, showing the pride! blah blah blah We're the best, blah blah blah" And I just frankly don't give two fucks about anything like that anymore. Never did, but I find it actively repugnant now.

Every aspect of it is politicized and weaponized for more national BS, and I just see nothing good about that all anymore. The sooner we all stop giving a fuck about who lives on which side of arbitrary lines we drew for ourselves centuries ago, the better. What we DON'T need is to have events every 2 damn years, that continue to reinforce our tribal rivalries, under the false banner of "friendly competition."
Do you think Hollywood should be broken up and us no longer have all the gluttony that comes from that year round too? I don't mean this as my usual provocative opening into a thread, just that if so many people feel this way about the Olympics then something like the USA film industry is even worse and should be talked about more than it is.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Do you think Hollywood should be broken up and us no longer have all the gluttony that comes from that year round too?
Sure, I wouldn't be against that at all. I think we've got WAY too much of a societal emphasis on things that are self-destructive, and counter-productive to human existence and the planet long term. A little bit of species re-prioritizing, and re-distribution of goals and resources wouldn't hurt at all.

I don't mean this as my usual provocative opening into a thread,
Nice to see you acknowledging it at least.

then something like the USA film industry is even worse and should be talked about more than it is.
I think I've made my thoughts clear, on the current film industry and what the audience expects/demands from the various actors, that is flat out dangerous. It's an industry that has been fostering sexual predators for decades, if not...well hell probably a century at this point really. It encourages fans to become fanatical about the fictional stories they are fed, to the point that they actively harrass, assault, and stalk other human beings, for shit they imagine in their heads as being important.

But this isn't a thread about the flaws of Hollywood is it? If you want to ***** about that, go make a thread titled "So can we finally say there is enough footage that proves hollywood is horrible?" if you want to. I'll happily go rant about the shit that makes that topic suck....in a thread about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Sure, I wouldn't be against that at all. I think we've got WAY too much of a societal emphasis on things that are self-destructive, and counter-productive to human existence and the planet long term. A little bit of species re-prioritizing, and re-distribution of goals and resources wouldn't hurt at all.

Nice to see you acknowledging it at least.
It's been an issue with me for most of my life. Most of my closest friends became my friends after our first interaction was us arguing with each other.

I think I've made my thoughts on the current film industry and what the audience expects/demands from the various actors, that is flat out dangerous. It's an industry that has been fostering sexual predators for decades, if not...well hell probably a century at this point really. It encourages fans to become fanatical about the fictional stories they are fed, to the point that they actively harrass, assault, and stalk other human beings, for shit they imagine in their heads as being important.

But this isn't a thread about the flaws of Hollywood is it? If you want to ***** about that, go make a thread titled "So can we finally say there is enough footage that proves hollywood is horrible?" if you want to. I'll happily go rant about the shit that makes that topic suck....in a thread about it.
Yes of course. I just wanted to... gain clarity as to what your feelings on this kind of thing in general was.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yes of course. I just wanted to... gain clarity as to what your feelings on this kind of thing in general was.
I'm not a fan of anything in excess to the point that it's harmful. Just as a general rule of thumb, if the topic question is "Do you think X thing, that is at a point that it's harming society/individuals, is a bad thing?" My general answer is going to default to "yes." Depending on details that might alter stuff, my answer might change, as I think most things need to be addressed on their own merits/flaws. As each thing might have variable amounts of harm, and effect different groups differently, thus having variable negative impact.

But, as a blanket stance, "Things so powerful and invasive to our society, that they are causing more harm than benefit, are bad things." is my general stance.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I used to not care about the Olympics, as it's sports, and I just don't care about sports, but I felt it was a fairly harmless gathering of the various jocks and meatheads of the world, and the people obsessed with cheering for them. But, lately, I personally find ANY even that is centered around nationalism and competition, to be something I find abhorent, and wish it would just die in a fire. Nobody gives a shit about the Olympics in the time between the Olympics, and nobody gives a shit after the Olympics, the public I mean. But when it's going on, it's nothing but "Murica! USA, showing the pride! blah blah blah We're the best, blah blah blah" And I just frankly don't give two fucks about anything like that anymore. Never did, but I find it actively repugnant now.

Every aspect of it is politicized and weaponized for more national BS, and I just see nothing good about that all anymore. The sooner we all stop giving a fuck about who lives on which side of arbitrary lines we drew for ourselves centuries ago, the better. What we DON'T need is to have events every 2 damn years, that continue to reinforce our tribal rivalries, under the false banner of "friendly competition."
You've written some funny comments before but this is just pathetic and sad.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

You can feel however you want about the Olympic institution, but don't forget the games themselves are comprised of individuals (many still teenagers/young adults) who were hand selected to represent their county for their exceptional ability and love of their sport. There's nothing "actively repugnant" about that. You don't have to like it, but neither is there any reason to find it overly offensive. These people worked hard, and the Olympics are a lifelong, rarely-achieved dream for thousands of people, and they bring more people together than they divide.

Do you find local youth sports "actively repugnant?" Because I don't measure their overall viability by the parents that insist on coaching unsolicited and disruptively from the stands or parents who scream at children telling them they "they suck," and youth sports have no shortage of that. Youth sports are great places for kids to learn teamwork, a good work ethic, responsibility, discipline, y'know, the same traits you'd expect an an individual to carry throughout their lives, and it's where many Olympians come from.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Do you find local youth sports "actively repugnant?" Because I don't measure their overall viability by the parents that insist on coaching unsolicited and disruptively from the stands or parents who scream at children telling them they "they suck," and youth sports have no shortage of that. Youth sports are great places for kids to learn teamwork, a good work ethic, responsibility, discipline, y'know, the same traits you'd expect an an individual to carry throughout their lives, and it's where many Olympians come from.
You can (or could) say exactly the same of the Soviet military. Which brought lots of eastern Europe together.

Less flippantly, local youth sports have very little to do with the Olympics. Sure, Olympians often come from there, but the proportion of people in youth sports who go on to be Olympians is only a small margin of error away from zero.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Do you find local youth sports "actively repugnant?"
I don't really care about local youth sports, but local youth sports aren't being used as a marketing vessel for megacorporations to shill their products to the world in the form of constant banner ads on your screen, physical ads surrounding the entire event stadium, AND also clogging up the live feed with highly sought after actual ad time slots between the events. That paint their product in so much America is Great trappings to make one sick, and make billions off it.
Except, they are, because these days most youth sports leagues are funded by companies, and have ads up for those products all over their fields. I drive past a school soccer field every day, that is covered from one end to the other, in advertisements. So I guess I do find it repugnant to some degree.

Youth sports aren't illegally doping their children (that I know of) to get an edge in performance. They also aren't fostering sexual predators (again, that I know of. statistically they probably are just from sheer law of averages) in their ranks in the form of predatory coaches, and the like.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You can (or could) say exactly the same of the Soviet military. Which brought lots of eastern Europe together.

Less flippantly, local youth sports have very little to do with the Olympics. Sure, Olympians often come from there, but the proportion of people in youth sports who go on to be Olympians is only a small margin of error away from zero.
I didn't say "all," "most" or even "many" children in youth sports become Olympians; simply making clear that the complaints being leveled at the Olympics can be leveled at pretty much every level of competition, from pee-wee to Tokyo 2020. You think pitting country against country in respectful competition is divisive? Then you should see two fathers fighting in the stands at a little league baseball game because one called the other's child an "idiot."

I don't really care about local youth sports, but local youth sports aren't being used as a marketing vessel for megacorporations to shill their products to the world in the form of constant banner ads on your screen, physical ads surrounding the entire event stadium, AND also clogging up the live feed with highly sought after actual ad time slots between the events. That paint their product in so much America is Great trappings to make one sick, and make billions off it.
Except, they are, because these days most youth sports leagues are funded by companies, and have ads up for those products all over their fields. I drive past a school soccer field every day, that is covered from one end to the other, in advertisements. So I guess I do find it repugnant to some degree.

Youth sports aren't illegally doping their children (that I know of) to get an edge in performance. They also aren't fostering sexual predators (again, that I know of. statistically they probably are just from sheer law of averages) in their ranks in the form of predatory coaches, and the like.
Again, hate the institution all you want, but don't dismiss the efforts of thousands of people who've achieved an amazing life goal. Between all the intrusive ads and shady corporate dealings, there are actual competitions happening with amazingly talented people who've trained for years for just a chance to partake. I cite the phrase born from '90s urban culture: "Don't hate the player; hate the game."

And as for the doping and sexual predation, those cases are by far and away the exceptions, NOT the rule. You can level "maybe" at anything, and make it salacious, but thinking "maybe" defines the whole is too broad a stroke.

Last edited:

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
"Don't hate the player; hate the game."
If the official and professional aspects along with the mere existence of different nations in the world are enough to make someone throw up at the idea, their contributions are of little value, and they aren't going to change mind.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If the official and professional aspects along with the mere existence of different nations in the world are enough to make someone throw up at the idea, their contributions are of little value, and they aren't going to change mind.
I'm not trying to change anyone's mind; if nothing else, the Internet is the last place I would ever expect to do such a thing. I was just giving people more to consider should they so choose to broaden their spectrum of consideration. I'm not a huge fan of the US healthcare system, but I don't dismiss or denigrate the efforts and labors of the thousands of doctors and nurses who dedicated their lives within that system to be able to save mine. "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water," n'all.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Every aspect of it is politicized and weaponized for more national BS, and I just see nothing good about that all anymore.
Today we saw the ROC (Russian Olympic Committee) best the favored USA in woman's all-around gymnastics. Simone Biles had to pull out for "medical" issues (TBD what that actually means) putting the USA at a significant disadvantage. What was touching after the defeat was watching team USA hugging team ROC. Say what you want about "politicizing and weaponizing," but when I see more camaraderie between rival nations from young women competing in a sport they love than I do from politicians who more directly represent said nations, I'd argue the Olympics are more representative of the human spirit than whatever official who stands on a soapbox and speaks for "us." That's a good thing; it was beautiful, and the athletes who strove to be there made it possible. "Don't hate the players; hate the game."

EDIT:
Nobody gives a shit about the Olympics in the time between the Olympics, and nobody gives a shit after the Olympics, the public I mean.
That's like saying no one gives a shit about Christmas in January. We can't help the Olympics are 2-4 years apart (depending on which, if either, one favors.) Same for the World Cup; most popular sport in the world, yet it's only held every 4 years. Can you fault soccer fans for getting excited when it comes around?

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
While Laurel Hubbard is untouchable in their age bracket, younger and fitter athletes lift more. They haven't competed yet, but that's the expectation based on this season's results.
Hmmm untouchable you say? I wonder why that is.