Thief 4 Gives Deus Ex the Boot at Eidos Montreal

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
This better be good...

Raiyan 1.0 said:
Didn't they name it THI4F instead of THIEF 4?
And this was the most retarded thing I ev4r heard of. Thank God they seem to have gone back to Thief 4.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Excuse me but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVQT3638TZA
And yes, I can't wait!

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
At least they managed to make highlighting optional before moving out. I still don't understand why the called it Deus ex when that makes no sense in latin.

Deo ex mite b cool

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
Deus mortuus est said:
evilthecat said:
Deus mortuus est said:
Now let's just hope that they go and do another Dark Project/Metal Age and don't mess it up like they did with Deadly Shadows. DS was a decent game, I admit, but the first two are some of my favorite games ever...
I'm hearing that.

Sadly, there's a big problem and its called 'current generation graphics'. Making big, sprawling, non-linear levels without breaking them up will probably end up being too processor-buggering

Still Eidos, if you manage to solve that problem I could probably be coerced into offering sexual favours in return.
If Beteshda can do it in Skyrim, I do hope that Eidos can do the same to Thief. And yes, I do realize that buildings take more to generate than the same patch of land over and over again, but I'm willing to buy a new computer and have last year's graphics just to get my sprawling back :p
But Bethesda most likely are not going to do it in Skyrim, as Bethesda programmers are incompetent chimps.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Bout time they're getting into full gear with T4 . . . I'm just hoping they hold true to what made the series so great. This is a title I'm actually anticipating for once . . . it's been too many years . . .

ForgottenPr0digy said:
so Thief 4 team is like Ninja cat they just stuck up on them and took their seats without them noticing. Those are some sneaky cats.
I guess the team have gotten fully into character :p

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
YES!

Bringing back Thief is almost as good as Skyrim. Can't wait :D

I understand that people seem to dislike Thief: Deadly Shadows, or at least seem to be having a strong preference for its predecessors. Could anyone explain to me why that is exactly?
I'm not saying DS was actually better but seeing as I tried to play Dark Project and Metal Age but for some reason they wouldn't run on my PC (enemies would be invisible, colours would be messed up etc.) I couldn't find that one out for myself.

I do distinctly remember having the ability to shoot ropes onto a ceiling so you could climb up them in the first Thief game. I did like that mechanic. Is it scratched things like that that made DS less enjoyable?

I liked DS and maybe it's because I wasn't as spoiled by the previous games like most people. Let me know!

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I hope so, because Thief is one of my favorite game series and I was kind of disappointed with Thief 3.
Also, if the new Deus Ex fucks up as bad as the first sequel did, I will go balistic, because Deus Ex is also one of my favorite games. It's in the top tier of my top ten.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Sennz0r said:
I understand that people seem to dislike Thief: Deadly Shadows, or at least seem to be having a strong preference for its predecessors. Could anyone explain to me why that is exactly?
I'm not saying DS was actually better but seeing as I tried to play Dark Project and Metal Age but for some reason they wouldn't run on my PC (enemies would be invisible, colours would be messed up etc.) I couldn't find that one out for myself.
Well, your second bit there, apparently the games don't work on new machines. Something about a conflict with the dual processor. I don't know the whole story as I still have an old machine, so I haven't bothered to try and put the older Thief games on my laptop.

Anyway, I said earlier that I was disappointed with Thief 3, but I won't say I specifically hate it, or even don't like it. I just prefer the originals. Here's why.

First of all, pretty much any time a story uses time travel, it looses a some credibility to me. This is an incredibly over-used plot device and I just plain don't like it. That said, not a game-breaker, just kind of an eye-roller for me.
Second, a lot of little details just got to me. Like seeing wanted posters with Garret's face on them. Sorry, I don't buy that. Garret always struck me as the kind of guy who stayed out of the public eye. There were a lot of little moments like that which just didn't feel in tune with the feel of the Thief world to me.
Finally, I didn't get where it was going thematically. The first game was about the forces of Nature trying to pull the world back into the way things were and ended with a note suggesting that a "Metal Age" was coming. The second game was about the forces of technology trying to destroy the forces of nature to make the world perfect and it ended on a note that there were prophecies of something big coming. The third thief game was about . . . what? A boogeyman using magical artifacts to screw things up. Sorry, I don't see any thematic significance to the plot.
That said, I think TDS is a good game. I like the open city exploration the story is compelling and the ending of the game brought things full circle in a way that I really appreciated. It's good, I just think the originals were better.
I'm a bit worried about Thief 4, though, because I don't see where the series should go at this point. It seems like a shameless and totally needless sequel that won't add anything meaningful to the series, especially considering how well Thief 3 closed the circle. I mean, I don't think it will be outright bad, especially if they've got a good team working on it, but I don't see that it will even be as good as Thief 3.
Could be wrong though. I'll wait and see.

Dr. Harvey C. Clay

Mar 15, 2011
I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic about both Deus-Ex and Thi4f (or how ever the hell there spelling it now)

on an unrelated note, I am not nearly as hopeful in regards to the new X-COM game.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Atheist. said:
You guys hear that? Yahtzee is squealing like a school girl.
Actually, since Yahtzee didn't like Deadly Shadows, I highly doubt he would be optimistic about this game.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
Uuummm... Theif 4? Sorry to seem out of touch with the Thief series but when was Theif 2 or 3? A little help please. ("O_O)

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
All I remember about Deadly Shadows is that everything about the gameplay in it felt very awkward to me, and that I didn't like the perspective. As a result I didn't play it beyond the first couple of jobs.

Thief 1 & 2, on the other hand, I played through from start to finish at least 5 times each. I'd be up for more of that, sure. Hell, just getting updated versions of the old games that will run smoothly on my newer comp and be a little less painful on the eyes...yeah, I'd probably pick that up. I get an urge to play it again at least once every couple months and get disappointed all over again remembering my new desktop won't run it (I read a thing about how you can mess with the cores to run the game, but I'm nowhere near tech-savvy enough to risk mucking around in my machine's brains just to play a game).

tl;dr - Hopeful and doubtful about Thief 4.

...oh, and there's a Deus Ex game coming out? Meh, whatever.

TheMariner

Oct 20, 2009
I am completely looking forward to Thief 4. From what I can tell, it sounds like Splinter Cell but in a fantasy setting which I would be all over. Should I have played the previous three, though?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Thief 4? I... I think I just did something messy, let me go change my pants.
Funny, I've only just reinstalled Thief 3 and am a couple of missions in. I'm looking forward to Shalebridge Cradle again... in a way.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Lord Beautiful said:
And there was much rejoicing.

Can't wait to hear Garrett's sexy voice again.
Do you two need a moment alone?

Anyway, I am looking forward to the atmosphere that Deus Ex HR will be hemmoraging all over the place.
Not sure how to feel about Thief 4, 3 seemed to decide to take a right turn with a lot of new and different stuff, setting aside the story buildup of the previous two. But with Eidos serious about getting a good game out, I will keep my hopes up.