Thief 4 Promo Video Sneaks Out

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Im not going to buy a game called Thifourf.

This is actually heartbreaking... the first two installments where the most awesome games of their generation.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Odjin said:
I can't agree with the OP. Seeing on what they did to Deus-Ex with DX:HR (urks) I'm not so looking forward to what they might do to the Thief series. They broke my Deus-Ex heart already... please don't break now also my Thief heart #.#
what was so horrible about Human Revolution?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ivc392 said:
Im not going to buy a game called Thifourf.

This is actually heartbreaking... the first two installments where the most awesome games of their generation.
aaand.....its heartbreaking because it has a stupid name?

[small/]why are gamers such drama queens?[/small]

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I wasn't super excited with it (though it is just a lighting demo), but man am I glad to actually see something new about Thief. Hopefully they'll stick to what made the classics so great instead of trying to meet a new demographic.

DeAvatar

Mar 27, 2009
The Thief series has always had a place near and dear to my heart. (two IMHO was the best, followed by one. Three was...lukewarm from the overabundance of arrows I acquired not even midway through the game.) I've waited so long for 4 to come out, but after staring so many years at a single logo website and hearing NOTHING....
at least I got to see something after all the wait.
Hopefully the "spiritual successor" Dishonored will be able to fill this hole left by that taffer Garret.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Thifourf.

What?! Someone had to say it! It's actually ridiculously fun to say, too. Thhhhifffourfff.

GangstaPony

Apr 29, 2012
At the end of Thi3f 3: D3adly Shadows Garret catches a girl trying to pickpocket him. I would love to play as her for at least the tutorial section. Also, first person acrobatics ala Mirror's Edge please. Include the parkour as well. Keep the blackjack, drop the sword.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Keeping my enthusiasm on this one.

The Thief series can't turn into shit.
It can't.

I won't let it.

*twitch*

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
I hope they continue making these sequels into the far future with the same kind of title so I can eventually try to break my jaw saying "Thithirteenthf"

EDIT: Or they can use the "1" of 13 in the title so it will be "Ththirteenthf"

surg3n

May 16, 2011
WTF 4's are E's now!

THI4F - Doesn't bloody work Eidos!

Maybe...

THIE4

But that's probably not as hipster as they would like.

Anyway, I'd love to see another Thief game, in fact, I'd love to see just a Thief game that is like the old Thief1 demo on PC, from decades ago. The demo was amazing, it had just 1 level, but it was full of dynamics, like the designers spent a lot of time on it. I like the game, but got sick of it by about level 5. Sneaking around is cool, having really strict AI and clever, strategic gameplay is ideal, and the claustrophobic alleys and high ceilings etc in Thief, well they made me wet. That's all we need, just a game like that, where we can be douchebags and drown folk, steal peoples stuff, skulk around and blackjack people like it's a new sport. I used to sit and plan what I'm going to do, like it was some elaborate heist, damn I can't even remember the last time a game made me think, never mind plan ahead.

Yes, a new Thief game would be awesome, shame this'll be to Thief, what Syndicate is to it's predecessor... Basically it'll be Assasins Creed but dark.

Justin1221

Aug 16, 2008
I've never played the Thief games, but this trailer looks pretty weak.

Also, what the hell is "Thifourf"?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Disappointed that we are not playing as the girl from the end of deadly shadows, I sort of wanted to see Garret in the mentor role.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Ok. Yes the naming in this teaser is unfortunate. However they can call it "TurdLolipopButrape" for all I care. If they bring Thief into this generation and hold true to the story and character concepts that made the first two games so damn good. I will make them eat my money.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Vault101 said:
Odjin said:
I can't agree with the OP. Seeing on what they did to Deus-Ex with DX:HR (urks) I'm not so looking forward to what they might do to the Thief series. They broke my Deus-Ex heart already... please don't break now also my Thief heart #.#
what was so horrible about Human Revolution?
A lot of things I'm not going to lay out in detail here as I wrote already a 3 or 4 pages long in depth review about the problems (and good things which is the difference between DX:HR and the bottomless crap-shit Bethesda tossed out recently). In general it lacks a lot of what made Deus-Ex Deus-Ex. The story is not even remotely interesting. Multi-path is non-existent. You get a lethal/non-lethal path but essentially they are just the same only with the name "kills" replaced by "stuns" on weapons without any real effect. Aug system is also lackluster as there is no choice involved (you get anything important 1/4 into the game) and no blocking. It's limitations and choice that allows character development and that make Deus-Ex interesting. Not to mention the stupid take-down and cover-system crap. In Deus-Ex taking down somebody means working for it and it can actually fail. In DX:HR it's one-button-never-fail. Adam is cut-board flat without any variance while JC has been a round character. The boss fights I don't lay out. They know they fucked it up and will change it in the future (another difference to Crap-thesda... they don't even notice how much they fucked it up).

Eventually I played Deus-Ex through over 8 times each time differently and it never had been the same. DX:HR I player 1 time through and on the second I got so bored I deinstalled it half-way through because there is just no variation and anything else than their "the-one build" plays like somebody shoved a stick up your rear. It's their first try at Deus-Ex though so chances are they learn from the mistakes and rip out all the crap for DX4 getting back to the glorious Deus-Ex game mechanics which changed the game world like next to no other game did.

Triality

May 9, 2011
I'm glad they got over their 2D morph-animation style. It was dated when the last game came out. I think we can thank Square-Enix for once for being cut-scene happy.

Still I love the Thief brand. I'm sad that I didn't play 1 and 2 early in my computer days.

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Thief 4 Promo Video Sneaks Out

There are few games that can get me charged up like Thief. I recently reinstalled the original Thief: The Dark Project from 1998 - a game that's older than some high school students, in other words - and was delighted to discover that it remains as playable, intense and flat-out brilliant as ever.
Huge question here for me. I have the original game, box and all, from back in the day. I have tried to re-install and play it, but something is just wrong with the video. This isn't uncommon (see System Shock 2), but I have to know did Andy re-install the original game to a modern system (like Win 7) or did he "re-install" a new version from say Steam? Anyone know? Andy?

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
tcurt said:
Huge question here for me. I have the original game, box and all, from back in the day. I have tried to re-install and play it, but something is just wrong with the video. This isn't uncommon (see System Shock 2), but I have to know did Andy re-install the original game to a modern system (like Win 7) or did he "re-install" a new version from say Steam? Anyone know? Andy?
You need to install the correct codec. I believe that's true of every version, including GOG and Steam, but they may have fixed it by now.

TTLG covers most of the technical issues I've had with the olde Dark Engine games.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031