Thief "Companion App" Coming to iOS and Android

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thief "Companion App" Coming to iOS and Android

Thief is getting a "companion app" for iOS and Android devices that will track in-game stats, link to the official wiki and interactive maps, offer access to exclusive merchandise and more.

Eidos Montreal revealed plans today for an iOS and Android app for the upcoming Thief that will "enable fans to gain additional insight into the Thief universe and offer a second-screen experience to fully engage with the game upon release." The app will initially launch later this month in a "lite" version providing access to news, trailers, artwork, exclusive screens, character bios and other information, while the full version will come out alongside Thief and sell for $2.99.

For three bucks, you get live access to in-game stats, the official Thief Wiki, interactive maps and exclusive art and background content. The app also includes the first two issues of the official Thief digital comic created by Dark Horse and links to official Thief merchandise, should an irresistible urge to purchase a nu-Garrett hoodie strike you during your morning commute.

Those with the foresight and good manners to preorder Thief from GameStop won't have to lay down three bones for the app, however, as it will be provided free as part of the preorder bonus package that also includes the "Bank Heist" mission, which will sell separately post-release for $4.99 - read more about that here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128149-Thief-Trailer-Reveals-Exclusive-Bank-Heist-Preorder-Mission] - and the official soundtrack, performed by the Prague philharmonic orchestra, that will be available stand-alone for $9.99.

Thief comes out on February 25 for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Source: Thief [http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Thief-Companion-Enter-the-Hideout?theme=thief]

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Seems gimmicky and nice while not being essential. The bundled "codex" will likely end up on the Wiki anyways, so it's not much of an appeal. Having the comic in there justifies the price.

Not bad, but not for me. However, unlike the day-one-DLC, I'm not unhappy it exists.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Ugh god. This kind of shit it just going to get more and more prevalent isn't it?

I feel kind of left out for refusing to get a smartphone.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Genocidicles said:
Ugh god. This kind of shit it just going to get more and more prevalent isn't it?

The 'second screen' thing is this generations gimmick. Wii U has the gamepad, PS4 (and PS3 I guess) have the Vita and Xbone has the smartglass stuff. At least it's a step up from flail controls.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Can you call artillery strikes?

Ok, more seriously, the fan wiki will be almost as good as any official one the developers can conjure up. Everything else I could find with five minutes of searching on Google.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Meh, it is already sounding like a lousy game. I'm not surprised they are trying to monetize this way. They are probably sinking so much money into this they will need to move 10Million units to make a dime.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Thought it was cool until I saw you had to pay for it.

But I hear people still buy magazine walkthroughs too.

Crazy days.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
idolleon said:
I am very much looking forward to it!
I think I will download it from
Oh god.

TO THE BUNKER! TO THE BASEMENT!

THE SPAMBOTS ARE POSTING RELEVANT AND PROPER RESPONSES TO TOPICS. OH GOD.

Unless you aren't a spambot. In which case, you probably need to put a bit more... human... into your post. Like, you know. So people don't read your post in a robotic/barelylegal18yearwhojustwantsyoutoturnonyourcamandsendher$10000 voice Things can get weird.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Lil_Rimmy said:
Oh god.

TO THE BUNKER! TO THE BASEMENT!

THE SPAMBOTS ARE POSTING RELEVANT AND PROPER RESPONSES TO TOPICS. OH GOD.

Unless you aren't a spambot. In which case, you probably need to put a bit more... human... into your post. Like, you know. So people don't read your post in a robotic/barelylegal18yearwhojustwantsyoutoturnonyourcamandsendher$10000 voice Things can get weird.
Please do not quote spambots. By doing so you're spreading the spam links around and helping the bot, and forcing the mods to edit the spam links out of your posts.

Report them and move on.

-Mod
Sowwie mate.

I'll go sit over in the corner now. With the smelly kid and the guy with the dunce cap. It's a bit dark over here too. I think I'll just go back to the bunker.

OT:

I wouldn't mind this if it's free, but really? You get a wiki and character bio and maps and stats and... I'm really not seeing the point here. All of those can either be accessed from the net, or from THE GAME YOU ARE PLAYING. And hell, any fan wikis are usually going to be better than a developer wiki, so EXCLUSIVES is not really a selling point.

Captcha: Which one is food:

Airplane
Pencil
Canada
Book
Truck
Cole Slaw

I don't know about you, but I feel like channelling Trevor right now. A bit of Canadian sounds right up my alley. Especially if they taste like maple syrup.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
So being able to jump whenever I want is immersion breaking. But being able to turn my head to look at an ipad and look up an official FAQ for the mission I'm on isn't? Rabble rabble rabble!

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Genocidicles said:

I dunno I spent £200 on a Nexus 7, hoping I'd eventually get some interaction with some of my games in the future and when that doesn't exactly happen I start to feel left out...

Like for all those people here that don't want this to happen is wishful thinking against those like me who own a piece of hardware that they'd like to use with their games.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Nah, nah! This makes me sick! When I was a kid--

You should've been there years ago! Tell ya...the Thief games then? They were something to see. These games, they didn't need no pre-order DLC and iOS apps, and choreographed moves, and all that auto-kill knifery you straps in 'em now! The Thief games back then, they had rope arrows as clever as your imagination! And wicked ghosts! That's why I can't stand the games now! You don't know what you've missed. They just don't make games like they used to....