Thief Gold Comes to GOG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thief Gold Comes to GOG

It's time to rejoice, stealth fans: Thief Gold has come to GOG.

If you're a Thief fan, you're not even reading this. You've already got GOG loaded up and you're currently rubbing fistfuls of cash into your monitor. And if you're not a Thief fan, then you need to sit down and listen while I explain a few facts of life.

Thief Gold is an "enhanced" edition of Thief: The Dark Project, adding a few missions, some new enemies and a bit more polish to the already-amazing original game. It's mercilessly hardcore; if you don't play on the highest difficulty level you don't get to see the entire game, and if you do play on the highest difficult you'll be forced to follow some pretty strict rules, like not killing people - at all. You will spend hours working through single missions, most of which will be spent thinking about how to get across a room without anyone seeing you. There will also be occasional moments of brain-melting terror, which I would not think of spoiling for you.

Thief Gold, in other words, is brilliant, but it's the sort of brilliance that will make you suffer.

Thief Gold on GOG includes the classic sneaker, all dressed up to run without a hitch on modern PCs, plus a digital version of the manual and reference card, an HD wallpaper, avatars and a fan-made soundtrack. All that plus some of the most punishing, stress-inducing gameplay you'll ever run into - simply hearing the words "Return to Cathedral" can make strong men go weak in the knees - is available now at GOG.com [http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/thief_gold#] for $9.99.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I can never quite decide if the best game ever made is this or Deus Ex. It's awesome that they both got a GOG release within a week of each other. And the naysayers said we'd never get Thief on GOG!

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Wow this is fantastic! I was thinking about digging up the first two Thief games again recently. The words "Return to the Cathedral" send shivers down my spine. To this day, Thief is the only game I literally could not play at night with the lights off and headphones, the way it was meant to be played.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I used to be a thief like you, till I took an arrow to the knee.

OT:
LOVE this game, and series, this is THE game for 'sneaky game lovers' to play.
Screw Hitman/MGS/ect...it's freaking THIEF Gold, son!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Gog has been doing well lately, adding some real quality titles. All except System Shock 2......

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Return to the Cathedral. Never have I played a game by sitting in the same spot for 10+ minutes just watching and waiting in pure fear.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
One of the best games ever. Finally!
Now if only they would release System shock 2... , but that unfortunatly won't happen :-(

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Gog has been doing well lately, adding some real quality titles. All except System Shock 2......
And quest for glory and death rally and shadow warrior.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I just shat myself.

It'll not be too long before they add the inevitable ones... the ones everyone are claimoring for... Thief 2... and... *dun, dun, dun* System Shock 2. It'd be also nice if they offered the first System Shock for free, I know it's already free, but I'd like a GOG version of it.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Just to reiterated what I've said before: System Shock 2 will not be re-released on GOG or anywhere else, probably ever. EA owns the trademark and the insurance company owns the copyrights has already said they aren't interested in selling.

I guess it's always possible, but don't get your hopes up.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
If you're a Thief fan, you're not even reading this. You've already got GOG loaded up and you're currently rubbing fistfuls of cash into your monitor.
You know me so well Mr. Chalk.

All I saw was the "Thief on GOG" news item and I went to GOG and bought it. This makes me very happy, since I couple months ago I reinstalled thief 1 and 2 to play through them again, but neither worked on my Win 7. I found a ... special version of Thief 2 that mostly worked so I got play that again, sadly no such thing could be found for T1. PERSONALLY I think Thief 2 is better, but that's like saying BG2 is better than BG1, they're both brilliant and awesome, does it really matter?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Congratulations GOG, I haven't set up an account with you before (not because I have any problems with you, I just haven't felt a pressing need to). However this will get me on GOG.

I actually own Thief, Thief Gold, and Thief II and I even know where the disks are. But a few bucks will be worth the convenience and the risk of damaging them.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Ooh, it looks like I need to get me a GOG account. I've been meaning to get one for a while, but this sells it for me. Thankye kindly Mr. Escapist Newspersonman!

llyrnion

Feb 16, 2011
Yep, buying it right now.

Oh, and Return to Cathedral was the undead mission I loved best. I really disliked undead in Thief, but RtC was one of the my fave missions. Brilliant!!!

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Now let's see some Thief II, Grim Fandango, and System Shock 2. Don't fail me now, GOG.