Things besides guns we should ban to give ourselves the delusion of safety

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
Everyone's so up in arms about this whole gun crime thing, so i decided to put some things in perspective for you guys.

in 2007 12,632 people were killed by guns via homicide
118,021 people died from random accidents(like slipping off a ladder)
68,705 died from diabetes
137,353 died from respiratory disease
567,628 died from cancer
128,842 died from a stroke
599,413 died from hear attack
25,000 people are killed each year in alcohol related accidents

That last fact is the one I find the most compelling. Many of the above statistics will be dismissed as irrelevant, because they are "self inflicted." Also, many people say that guns are different because they are only useful for killing. That there is no balancing factor to justify ownership of a gun, but what is alcohol good for? It makes you stupid enough to forget how shitty your life is for a couple hours. Having a few drinks at a party can definitely be a good time, but so is firing off a gun at a firing range. In fact guns offer many owners the feeling of safety in security in their own homes. Having a gun next to your bed, can help you rest easy knowing that if someone tries to break into your home you will have some sort of power over the situation. So which is more useless, guns or alcohol? To me they're both a good time when used responsibly and a terrible tragedy when put in the hands of a moron or an asshole.

Banning guns wont make them disappear anymore than making drugs illegal has made them disappear.

When i mentioned to a friend that I agreed with the maxim "gun's don't kill people, people kill people." He said "yeah but people kill people with guns; without guns a single person wouldn't be able to kill that many people." He's wrong though people will always find a way to kill people and there are more than enough options for them to choose from. What would happen if u drove your car through a crowd of people? How many people can you kill with a bomb you made from chemicals you bought at Walmart? How hard was it for a couple muslim extremists to kill 2,996 people with some box cutters and 3 planes?

People just want to feel secure; they want to feel safe in a world without safety, and they are willing to sell their freedom away to the government for the PROMISE that the government will make the bad people go away.

*Edit*
Some people have felt the need to attack me instead of my argument.
to be clear:
I am not a republican
I am not a member of the NRA
I do not want to deregulate guns
I do not think concealed carry makes everyone safe

I believe that a gun is the ultimate symbol of power. A person with a gun will always have power over a person without, and to make laws that ban people from having guns is to make laws that ban civilians from having power. The United States is a country founded for the people by the people. The power should rest with all of us equally

Dec 14, 2009
There is a 1 in 257000 chance of death by tea cosy.

Clearly this is a very real threat that must be dealt with.

Also, hyperbolic title is hyperbolic.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You know, there are one or two other threads you could demonise people wanting gun restrictions in.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
We should ban sweaters on dogs.
They're already covered with fur, they don't need a sweater
(unless they're hairless dogs, or live in very cold places, those dogs get a pass).

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Knobody13 said:
That last fact is the one I find the most compelling. Many of the above statistics will be dismissed as irrelevant, because they are "self inflicted." Also, many people say that guns are different because they are only useful for killing.
Yeah you're absolutely right there. Accidental death and death caused by illness is not even remotely comparable with deaths caused by something designed specifically to kill and wound.

I'm not saying we should ban guns (in fact I think it should depend on the country) but you're going to need a better argument that.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
thaluikhain said:
You know, there are one or two other threads you could demonise people wanting gun restrictions in.
Pretty much this. I mean, for a new thread, one could at least come up with something new...this is a "heard it a million times" thing.

Also, I agree, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Coincidentally; could I have a nuke or two and a couple of ICBMs to put them in, please? After all, nukes don't kill people...and hyperboles work both ways.

But yeah you're totally right, everyone who's in favor of gun control is a dirty communist who is after your FREEDOMS!!!?

Really, please, come up with something new..."They comin' ta git yer guns!" is getting old...

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Indeed, alcohol is a pretty horrible drug.
The world would be far better off if we substituted it for cannabis.

However, I don't believe in banning drugs, as prohibition only drives the market value to a level where people will start killing eachother over it.

Guns not intended for hunting just strictly aren't necessary in a civilized society, and strict gun control correlates with lower gun crime.
The fact that you find firing guns entertaining is no argument for allowing people to own them.
I fine military grade artillery entertaining. For some reason, I'm not allowed to own that.
Yes, people will always find ways to kill other people if they really need to. Guns make it a whole lot easier though. Gun control mainly stops the kind of crimes where someone goes on a spree of some sort.
Also: Guns are extraordinarily effective for threatening more than one person at a time. Bank robberies and the like aren't very easy to do with a knife.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
We should ban banning things and otherwise imposing sanctions that do nothing but create a false sense of security. Things like the ridiculous airline rules that went in after 9/11, or AMC theaters' new costume ban. You know, pointless rules that give an illusion of safety to idiots, but only annoy the rest of us because they don't actually make us safer. They inconvenience innocent people, calm stupid people, and that's about it.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Suki_ said:
Dont forget about all of those accidental gun deaths. You know all the four year old blows his head off or shoots dad ones.
Granted, those can be stopped without even enforcing anything like strict gun control.
All that's needed is to implement a law that requires every gun owner to store the weapons in locked firearm boxes, and without being completely assembled.
Like pretty much every other country that allows gun ownership does.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Suki_ said:
While that is true you cant really enforce laws like that so they dont actually do anything.
They do change the public attitude over time.
In any case, it can be enforced.
Here in Norway, getting a gun is an extensive process involving licenses and what not. You have to be in contact with the government, and be able to confirm that you do own a gun locker.
If you have a gun locker and understand why you would want to keep your guns in one, there really isn't that much of a reason to not keep your guns in it unless you want them for criminal activity.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Ban news networks that take common everyday occurrences or statistical improbabilities and turn them into "Shocking new dangerous things that WILL kill you! Tonight at 11!"

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Suki_ said:
Well what if you want to use the gun to kill a mouse and are to tired to properly put it away. What if you are a crazy American who thinks guns are useless if kept in a locker because how are you gonna shoot somebody for looking at you the wrong way if its locked up.
Introducing gun control to a country like the US is a gradual process.
You can't just suddenly ban all guns. That would leave a shitton of guns on the market, none of them legal.
You need to restrict what kinds of guns can legally be produced and sold and slowly increase the difficulty of getting a license to buy a gun.
Banning magazine sizes greater than what's needed for hunting, etc.
After a while you may ban handguns entirely.

You don't change the public's attitude towards keeping guns locked up overnight.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Well silverware is dangerous so we should ban that
Rocks too, those can kill people rather easily
Ovens = heat, and heat = pain, so that must be banned

and of course how could i not mention cars, they're responsible for the deaths of so many people every year, we would just be better off without them.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Number of people killed by deliberate nuclear detonations in the last 10 years: 0

Nuclear weapons, totally safe! I don't know why we were so worried about rogue states getting their hands on them.