Things besides guns we should ban to give ourselves the delusion of safety

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
Japan. Only 22 killings involving firearms in 2007. 22 for the entire country. See, strict gun control laws do work.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Is gun control the thread of the month now?

And why do we need to ban anything? There's a difference between 'regulated and controlled' and 'banned forever.'

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
The delusion of safety? Are you saying that in my fat-free, sodium-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, xenon-free, ozone-free, lead-free, heavy metal-free, hermetically sealed, twelve-by-twelve box with chrome finish that I am not somehow safer than you?

Preposterous. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go sanitize my waste receptacle. The damn thing insists on getting dirty.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Knobody13 said:
People just want to feel secure; they want to feel safe in a world without safety, and they are willing to sell their freedom away to the government for the PROMISE that the government will make the bad people go away.
Well, nothing can control random violence or terrorism completely, wouldn't it would be better to be in between rather than none (which is impossible) or all (which is undesirable)?

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Yea I don't see why people would be opposed to regulating gun ownership. As it stands in some countries any psycho can buy a gun. Over here you need permits for guns. You wouldn't really get a permit for a gun in a city. Only very select rapid response police have guns

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The difference between guns and all the things you listed are that guns tend to be something we do to each other, everything else is mostly self inflicted to some degree.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
We should ban Australia.

There are things there that man was certainly not meant to step on...

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Jonluw said:
I find military grade artillery entertaining. For some reason, I'm not allowed to own that.
That actually depends, there's a guy who owns a big gun shop down in Arizona that has an old AA gun that he lets people fire for... don't remember the price, as it happens XD

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
WaysideMaze said:
Is gun control the thread of the month now?
Yeah, it seems that way. What, you're not excited to get away from the gender politics again?

:D

Isn't gun control a much better topic to discuss?

Captcha: "think hard"

I don't really need to about this topic, Captcha. I don't care if guns are more strictly regulated, because I don't have one and I don't really see myself ever getting one. Besides, tons of the gun crimes people like to complain about are caused by people with illegal guns anyway, so stricter gun control laws would do little to change that.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
This thread summed up: "Here's my opinion, if your opinion is different then fuck you."

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You're right we should just give up trying to controlling anything because we can't stop it from happening and resort to anarchy.

Honestly, I just want stronger regulation on guns. Like alcohol, even if I want it banned I know its not going to happen, but I'm still going to voice my opinion and try to get laws passed to limit it. If the laws are there, it deters and it stops some people. It doesn't fix anything, but its better then doing nothing or being silent.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Knobody13 said:
Everyone's so up in arms about this whole gun crime thing, so i decided to put some things in perspective for you guys.

in 2007 12,632 people were killed by guns via homicide
118,021 people died from random accidents(like slipping off a ladder)
68,705 died from diabetes
137,353 died from respiratory disease
567,628 died from cancer
128,842 died from a stroke
599,413 died from hear attack
25,000 people are killed each year in alcohol related accidents
I have to ask where are these statistics applied? They seem a bit small to be world wide statistics. I hate that people just always assume we know where they are from.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Buretsu said:
Wolf In A Bear Suit said:
Yea I don't see why people would be opposed to regulating gun ownership. As it stands in some countries any psycho can buy a gun. Over here you need permits for guns. You wouldn't really get a permit for a gun in a city. Only very select rapid response police have guns
The problem is that legal gun ownership is nowhere near as big a problem as illegal possession of a firearm. Yes, okay, make it harder for the law-abiding citizen to get a gun, and you'll reduce the number of times when someone decides to use a gun to settle an argument once and for all, or the number of times when accidental death occurs as the result of a stupid, irresponsible gun owner.
You'll also reduce the amount of times one can buy to give to their less than respectable friend or cousin. And, an interesting statistic from R&P forums, buried in one of the countless threads on the subject, sadly, would suggest that kind of "acquisition" makes up about a third of firearms that were used in crime.

Every "illegal" gun was legal at some point (not counting home distillery, of course). "Illegal" guns don't just pop into existance.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Penises! Those damn things are everywhere, they're a menace to society they are!

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Buretsu said:
The problem is that legal gun ownership is nowhere near as big a problem as illegal possession of a firearm.
But where do you think illegal firearms come from?
They don't just pop into existence. Every illegal gun has been legal at some point (with the exception of a few that are produced in illegitimate factories).
In a highly regulated market, it's almost impossible to get a hold of illegal firearms unless you want to pay huge amounts of cash for them.
Take Norway for example: We have a high gun ownership rate due to hunting, but firearms can only be acquired through a rather long legal process, and even then the kind of firearms you may buy are restricted, and they all have very limited magazine capacities. I think it was max two rounds or something, but don't quote me on that.

The only ways to get a hold of an illegal gun is to steal it from someone who's acquired it legally (hard to do because gun lockers are mandatory), or smuggling them across the border from some other country (or buying a gun from someone who's done that). Both of those are pretty hard to do, so criminals practically don't use guns at all here. Contrary to popular belief, what gun control does is take guns out of the hands of criminals, while letting people who need guns for legitimate reasons keep their guns.
JaceArveduin said:
That actually depends, there's a guy who owns a big gun shop down in Arizona that has an old AA gun that he lets people fire for... don't remember the price, as it happens XD
His neighbours must love him.

Edit:
Vegosiux said:
"Illegal" guns don't just pop into existance.
How the hell did I manage to use the exact same wording as this guy?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I am not a supporter of banning things. Banning things does not make those things go away and only makes people desire them more. It's the whole 'Forbidden Fruit' phenomenon. I am a supporter a requiring a license to own and operate a gun or any sort of firearm, just like you do a vehicle, which last time I checked is how it is in most areas.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Lemme see...

All and any bladed implements, glass (any shape), vehicles (self propelled, animal propelled, and people propelled), playing video games (but only for extended periods of time while living in an asian country; seriously, how often does any one else manage to game themselves to death? must be something in the water), Over eating, under eating, cancer (non-celestial), Fire, water (puddle size or larger), Alcohol (unless used topically), humans (unless mute and disabled), the wheel, the lever, the wedge, Land animals (with the exception of the gerbil, which is neither large enough nor in the possession of the intelligence or natural weaponry necessary.), electricity, and of course, Time (that son of a ***** has no mercy).

Everything on that partial list has the potential to cause death and should be made illegal. Our children won't stand a chance in life if we don't do something about these horrible dangers!
Oh right, left that off the list. Children.