Things besides guns we should ban to give ourselves the delusion of safety

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
AngloDoom said:
Can't we just agree to disagree on the topic?

A lot of people who are anti-guns come from parts of the world where guns are not often used and have to need to suddenly come into circulation, a lot of people who are pro-guns come often from parts of the world where guns are part of a normal everyday life and removing them would cause a gap in that society.

I don't think guns belong in England because I think all it will do is cause panic and a sudden arms-race for individuals who live in 'rough' areas because they'll be thinking that suddenly the people they are used to dealing with will just shoot them instead of mugging them.

I also think that removing guns in the USA would only affect those honest enough to hand over their firearms just because the law says so. In a country bordering another country in a serious state of civil unrest, with weapons being exchanged often, I think banning guns wouldn't remove guns.

My opinions, no I have no facts or figures, and no I don't care to get any on the subject. I personally shit myself over the thought of the average lout carrying a lethal weapon, and some people shit themselves over the thought of being the only person not carrying a lethal weapon. Cultural differences.
I think this is a very reasonable argument :)

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
BeeGeenie said:
Ban news networks that take common everyday occurrences or statistical improbabilities and turn them into "Shocking new dangerous things that WILL kill you! Tonight at 11!"
Your right! Now i think about it i am in favour of banning Fox News ;)

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
There are unpreventable accidents all the time! And since we cant do anything to stop those deaths why do anything to stop deaths at all? I mean radiation poisoning doesn't kill very many people, so we might as well put radioactive materials in every home! I mean it kills less than car accidents so it must be safe for everyone to have right?

This is a silly argument, pointing to worse things does not make your pet project any better.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Jonluw said:
Suki_ said:
Dont forget about all of those accidental gun deaths. You know all the four year old blows his head off or shoots dad ones.
Granted, those can be stopped without even enforcing anything like strict gun control.
All that's needed is to implement a law that requires every gun owner to store the weapons in locked firearm boxes, and without being completely assembled.
Like pretty much every other country that allows gun ownership does.
if people wanted to keep guns for personal safety, what would be the point of having the gun disassembled, not loaded, and locked in a cabinet somewhere... I'm pretty sure that kind of defeats the purpose if you randomly get a break in at 3 in the morning, the last thing you want to worry about is finding your key, putting the gun together, and loading it before you can use this. All of this likely in the dark and half a wake...

Anyway, I think gun control should be stricter in the USA, but not necessarily outright banned, but I'm just a Canadian who has never so much as SEEN a gun irl.

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
malestrithe said:
Knobody13 said:
1. It would benefit all of us if you remember to cite your sources. You can use any of the top 5 Google links because it is the same information on all of them.

2. Most of those homicides are from states with right to carry laws and relaxed gun control regulations. Places with strict gun control laws do not have nearly as many homicides. I wonder why?

3. Quit the knee jerk reaction whenever someone talks about gun control. It makes you look reactionary and does not help your case. No one is going to take your guns away.

4. With 273 million legally registered firearms out there, it does seem hypocritical to cry foul whenever gun control is brought up. Unless you already know people are going to go a long with it, that people follow rules wherever possible, and that you have to get the angry 10 percent to speak for the silent 90 just to make headway on this issue.
1.Im legitimately sorry for that; I was tired and too lazy. As you said, it was just the first couple google links. It would have been beneficial for u to have more details but i was only interested in a broad comparison. Again, I'm actually sorry.

2.I dont see any sort of reliable trend to support this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state
could you link me?
It seems to me that smaller blue states are less violent and less gun violent, but we cant assume thats from stricter gun control laws

3.A couple people on here have assumed I'm a gun toting, fox news watching, honest, hard working 'merican. I'm actually a dirty college liberal. I just grew up in a town where it was not unusual for an 8 year old to be given a shotgun for her birthday. I just happen to have an opinion that differs from your average obamanite(voted for him please don't assume im a racist fuck).

4.I dont really understand your last point. I think your saying that 90 percent of the country disagrees with me, and its just us noisy guns rights activists holding back progression. There are 2 problems with this argument though
1)I'm not against regulation -_- just the outright banning of weapons. I'm 100 percent fine with the laws as they are right now
2)Even if i was in the minority of people that believed something that does not make me wrong. There is no such thing as a statistically insignificant opinion. If we held that attitude we would never make any social progress. That is the whole point of freedom of speech! I bet 17th century plantation owners wished the vocal minority would stop talking about their slaves too(there he goes with is "hyperbole" again).

but here you go http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx I am far above a minority

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
Blablahb said:
I suggest we ban NRA trolls. These are a clear and present danger to the sanity of the public, and their activities claim thousands of lives every year.
Not a member of the NRA, nor do I own a gun, but I'm obviously in favor of silencing anyone that doesn't agree with me

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Knobody13 said:
aba1 said:
Knobody13 said:
Everyone's so up in arms about this whole gun crime thing, so i decided to put some things in perspective for you guys.

in 2007 12,632 people were killed by guns via homicide
118,021 people died from random accidents(like slipping off a ladder)
68,705 died from diabetes
137,353 died from respiratory disease
567,628 died from cancer
128,842 died from a stroke
599,413 died from hear attack
25,000 people are killed each year in alcohol related accidents
I have to ask where are these statistics applied? They seem a bit small to be world wide statistics. I hate that people just always assume we know where they are from.
Us statistics The first is from 2007
and the rest from 2009
Cool thanks! Try to remember most people here are not from the states and could be living all over the world so we have no idea where these numbers apply.

As far as the initial point goes I just want to say most of these are self controlled and happen from a lifestyle and no exact object. Personally I think if people in the US don't want to give up there guns they shouldn't have to and if people don't like it they can leave.

I do feel that it is their job however to keep better control of there guns so there neighbors don't have to deal with their guns. I actually recently saw a statistic from the news saying that 90% of illegal guns in Canada are from the US and that most gun related crimes are committed with illegal guns. So if the US loves there guns they should really be more responsible with them so we don't have to deal with their choices or lack of responsibility. Nobody should be shot because the US can't keep their guns to themselves.

Noctius

Jul 21, 2011
ban smokes and all smoking related activities
that should cut the cancer casualties by about 50%, plus more money that isn't spent on that, and its better for the enviroment, everybody wins :3

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Ban bears. We should send them all to countries that ban guns.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/man-faces-2-years-in-prison-for-shooting-grizzly-while-defending-family/

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Noctius said:
ban smokes and all smoking related activities
that should cut the cancer casualties by about 50%, plus more money that isn't spent on that, and its better for the enviroment, everybody wins :3
They are sorta banning them but slowly. They keep raising taxes on smokes as well as awareness of the health hazards. Basically the government is trying to make them both impractical and uncool so nobody will want them so they don't have to deal with any illegal markets that would occur as well as public backlash.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
Ban bears. We should send them all to countries that ban guns.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/man-faces-2-years-in-prison-for-shooting-grizzly-while-defending-family/
Obviously banning all guns is a bad idea. Farmers and such need them to protect there livestock etc.

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
aba1 said:
Knobody13 said:
aba1 said:
Knobody13 said:
Everyone's so up in arms about this whole gun crime thing, so i decided to put some things in perspective for you guys.

in 2007 12,632 people were killed by guns via homicide
118,021 people died from random accidents(like slipping off a ladder)
68,705 died from diabetes
137,353 died from respiratory disease
567,628 died from cancer
128,842 died from a stroke
599,413 died from hear attack
25,000 people are killed each year in alcohol related accidents
I have to ask where are these statistics applied? They seem a bit small to be world wide statistics. I hate that people just always assume we know where they are from.
Us statistics The first is from 2007
and the rest from 2009
Cool thanks! Try to remember most people here are not from the states and could be living all over the world so we have no idea where these numbers apply.

As far as the initial point goes I just want to say most of these are self controlled and happen from a lifestyle and no exact object. Personally I think if people in the US don't want to give up there guns they shouldn't have to and if people don't like it they can leave.

I do feel that it is their job however to keep better control of there guns so there neighbors don't have to deal with their guns. I actually recently saw a statistic from the news saying that 90% of illegal guns in Canada are from the US and that most gun related crimes are committed with illegal guns. So if the US loves there guns they should really be more responsible with them so we don't have to deal with their choices or lack of responsibility. Nobody should be shot because the US can't keep their guns to themselves.
Easier said than done. I'm sure NAFTA has something to do with the ease in which they are moved. I believe most of the mexican drug cartels weapons come from us too -_- But there are many great things that come from NAFTA too :)

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
It kind of amuses me to see Americans argue high and to the hills about how they should keep their guns when a majority of the world's other developed countries have much stricter laws and get along fine without them.

EDIT: I'm talking about restriction not banning, feel the need to make that clear

Honestly, the whole arguing for keeping seems to either fall into
a) We need to defend ourselves
and
b) Other things are dangerous, "Rocks can kill people, why don't you ban rocks *insert stupid smug laughter*"

And while the former may have some arguable merit, the latter generally just comes off as idiotic with people seemingly unable to grasp the concept that guns are DESIGNED to kill, they serve no other greater purpose. They are made to end the lives of either animals or other people and thus, unlike the poor persecuted rock, should have restrictions to limit it's primary function.

Whatever the case, that's just my two cents and I really hope I don't get quoted to have to argue an opinion

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
When you have to compare deaths because of things you are in favour of to natural deaths, you are probably not on the sturdiest ground.

Also, getting rid of guns is REAL safety... Owning guns is a false sense of security. Ironyyyyyyyyyy!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I think we Americans could benefit from actually listening to our own founding fathers, and interpret the U.S. Constitution VERY literally when it comes to gun ownership. Anti-gun folks sometimes try to interpret the "well armed militia" to mean that only the military and national guard should be able to freely have guns. But in revolutionary times, that really did just mean a gun in every house so every man could defend himself. So I believe that every American should have the right to keep and bear arms.

Specifically muskets and flintlock pistols. Which is what the founding fathers were talking about. I don't see any need to restrict them in any way.

The assault rifle on the other hand... Evidence suggests we would be a lot better without it. The "hunting" argument is pure sophistry. It's far easier to BOWHUNT deer than it is spray and pray with an assault rifle (much safer too.) People only hunt with assault rifles to further the lie that it is a "sporting" gun, and then brag about their almost machine gun in the basement.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
O.T Just from the topic title alone I was going to suggest something along the lines of a "Patriot Act" kinda thing.

Back on topic now. You don't need a gun to defend yourself in a home invasion scenario. Banning, or even better and more stricter regulations, would see a reduction of gun related fatalities.

Better regulation goes in hand with gun control. Since I can assume are from America, gun control is something your country desperately needs.