Things besides guns we should ban to give ourselves the delusion of safety

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
banning something will not make us safer, if anything it'll promote illegal dealings in order to obtain the object in question
promoting the purchase of such items can also decrease safety since they more than likely fall into the wrong hands
if you want safety, you need Big Brother breathing down your neck and a shock collar which activates anytime the government or whoever is in charge thinks you're doing wrong, there is no complete way to promote the illusion of safety other than to see the "bad guys" getting dealt with, which makes most people feel glad they aren't them and that they aren't doing something to make themselves enemies of everyone else

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Qtoy said:
Eclpsedragon said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
We should ban sweaters on dogs.
They're already covered with fur, they don't need a sweater
(unless they're hairless dogs, or live in very cold places, those dogs get a pass).
As ridiculous and annoying as they are, my grandmother had one on her dog when, i shit you not, a hawk swooped by and tried to take the poor thing away.
The sweater prevented that dumb bird from taking that poor little jerk to its nest.
Out of curiosity what kind of dog does a hawk try to eat?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Shoqiyqa said:
How would we go about banning religious extremism?

Worgen said:
The difference between guns and all the things you listed are that guns tend to be something we do to each other, everything else is mostly self inflicted to some degree.
Using official data released by the Department of Transport, this map plots the location of every fatal road crash in Great Britain between 1999 and 2008, a total of 32,298 deaths. [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8401344.stm]

This is 11 years of deaths and injuries on Britain's roads. You can zoom around the map using the controls on the left or search for your town. Each dot represents a life. [http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/nov/18/road-casualty-uk-map]

369,629 people died on America's roads between 2001 and 2009. Following its analysis of UK casualties last week, transport data mapping experts ITO World have taken the official data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration - and produced this powerful map using OpenStreetMap. You can zoom around the map using the controls on the left or search for your town using the box on the right - and the key is on the top left. Each dot represents a life. [http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/nov/22/us-road-accident-casualties]

Germany's federal statistics office Destatis reported on Wednesday, that a total of 4,477 persons were killed in traffic accidents on Germany?s roads in 2008, which is fewer than in any year since 1950. Compared with the previous year, the number of people killed in road traffic accidents was down by 472 or 9.5%. At the same time, that figure is only about one fifth of the number of persons killed in traffic accidents in 1970, the most dramatic year in accident statistics, when 21,332 people died on Germany?s roads. A ban on alcohol introduced in August 2007 for new drivers has had a positive impact.

Irish publicans are lobbying the ruling Fianna Fáil party to block moves by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey, to lower the drink-drive limit.

There were 10,182 firearms offences in the year to the end of September {2007} compared with 9,755 in the previous 12 months - an increase of more than 400 crimes, or more than eight every week.

The rise is the biggest percentage increase since September 2004, when figures showed a five per cent increase in gun crimes.

While gun-related deaths were down, from 55 to 49, the number of slight injuries, threats and non-injury incidents linked to guns increased.

Murders with firearms (most recent) by country {notably not per 100,000 population, just the total}

Rank Countries Amount // Population
# 1 South Africa: 31,918 // 50,586,757
# 2 Colombia: 21,898 // 46,927,125
# 3 Thailand: 20,032 // 69,518,555
# 4 United States: 9,369 // 311,591,917
# 6 Mexico: 2,606 // 112,336,538
# 11 Germany: 269 // 81,726,000
# 14 Canada: 144 // 34,482,779
# 25 Australia: 59 // 22,620,600
# 26 Sweden: 58 // 9,453,000
# 27 Bolivia: 52 // 10,088,108
# 28 Japan: 47 // 127,817,277
= 39 United Kingdom: 14 // 62,641,000
= 39 Denmark: 14 // 5,574,000

14 x 311,591,917 / 62,641,000 = 69.64, which is 0.0074 of 9,369. The USA firearm murder rate per capita is 134.5 times the UK firearm murder rate per capita.
That is why I said mostly. Also it would be nice to ban religious extremism.

Qtoy

Apr 21, 2011
Eclpsedragon said:
Qtoy said:
Eclpsedragon said:
(unless they're hairless dogs, or live in very cold places, those dogs get a pass).
As ridiculous and annoying as they are, my grandmother had one on her dog when, i shit you not, a hawk swooped by and tried to take the poor thing away.
The sweater prevented that dumb bird from taking that poor little jerk to its nest.
Chihuahua-Pomeranian-About-11-different-terriers mix.
She's friggin' tiny.
I'm not arguing with you, dog sweaters are stupid. I just love telling that story.

Karelwolfpup

Jul 5, 2012
we should definitely ban people then, also air, food, medicine, science, religion, mental imbalances, fatal diseases, peer pressure, water pressure, air pressure, piers, opposable thumbs, faulty toasters and the fabric of reality itself.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Spygon said:
Yes i can not see why the world has not banned cancer yet.What is this world coming to we could save 567,628 peoples lives if we just banned cancer?
Technical point: by preventing the development of cancer, heart disease, diabetes or CJD you are not, in fact, preventing any deaths. You can only postpone them. If you want to push life expectancy to 150 you'd better be prepared to push retirement age to at least 100.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Ban paper having edges... I'm getting pretty sick of the damned papercuts. Might give Doctor Who something to work on in his spare time, too.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Ok, so what's the point of starting a thread about an argument that there are already... I think 3? 4? threads about?

Unless you have extra arms/keyboards, I'm pretty sure there's only so much arguing you can do at one time.

In theory.

Aglynugga

Jul 25, 2010
Dildos. You ever been attacked by someone using a dildo? It is a terrifying experience. At least 30% of all adult film actors have been attacked by someone using a dildo. Dildos can be concealed internally and can pass through metal detectors without setting them off.
Stop the threat of dildos now.

brighteye

Feb 5, 2009
Its just a matter of time until a US president run on the platform " War on Death".
( ..or if he is republican: War on people different than we believed we were in 1960, and war on poor people and women... Less catchy i know but sums up their platform better.)

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Knobody13 said:
1. It would benefit all of us if you remember to cite your sources. You can use any of the top 5 Google links because it is the same information on all of them.

2. Most of those homicides are from states with right to carry laws and relaxed gun control regulations. Places with strict gun control laws do not have nearly as many homicides. I wonder why?

3. Quit the knee jerk reaction whenever someone talks about gun control. It makes you look reactionary and does not help your case. No one is going to take your guns away.

4. With 273 million legally registered firearms out there, it does seem hypocritical to cry foul whenever gun control is brought up. Unless you already know people are going to go a long with it, that people follow rules wherever possible, and that you have to get the angry 10 percent to speak for the silent 90 just to make headway on this issue.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Buretsu said:
Leadfinger said:
Japan. Only 22 killings involving firearms in 2007. 22 for the entire country. See, strict gun control laws do work.
Japan existed for centuries before guns. America exists because of guns. Add in the severe differences between cultures, and you'll see why this statistic means exactly jack squat.
Well, modern Japan was formed by the introduction of guns by the Europeans (Portuguese, English and French IIRC) and the US, and the later Meiji restoration. Before that time Japan had a long history of tribal wars. Ironically enough, after WWII, the US were the ones that turned Japan into a demilitarized nation. So as one could see, just as legislation is formed by culture, it works the other way around as well. So don't be absurd, these statistics are perfectly valid. Whatever cultural differences there are, you can't just ignore that there are over 1000 times less gun deaths in Japan.

Sure, it is true the Americans like to kill each other a lot more than people from other first world countries. In the United States, over 40% of gun deaths are actually homocides. In most western countries that percentage is far lower. But if this is because of cultural differences, America might want to take a leaf out of Japan's book.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Can't we just agree to disagree on the topic?

A lot of people who are anti-guns come from parts of the world where guns are not often used and have to need to suddenly come into circulation, a lot of people who are pro-guns come often from parts of the world where guns are part of a normal everyday life and removing them would cause a gap in that society.

I don't think guns belong in England because I think all it will do is cause panic and a sudden arms-race for individuals who live in 'rough' areas because they'll be thinking that suddenly the people they are used to dealing with will just shoot them instead of mugging them.

I also think that removing guns in the USA would only affect those honest enough to hand over their firearms just because the law says so. In a country bordering another country in a serious state of civil unrest, with weapons being exchanged often, I think banning guns wouldn't remove guns.

My opinions, no I have no facts or figures, and no I don't care to get any on the subject. I personally shit myself over the thought of the average lout carrying a lethal weapon, and some people shit themselves over the thought of being the only person not carrying a lethal weapon. Cultural differences.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Thought I would put an interesting fact I found while bombing around the internet in this thread. In an accident involving a firearm, the individual harmed is far less likely to die than from other accidents, and just slightly less likely to be hospitalized than from another accident. So, someone involved in accidents like falling, motorvehicle accidents, and accidental poisonings is more likely to die or be hospitalized than accidents involving firearms. Just something I found to be interesting, I was expecting the opposite.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
Buretsu said:
Leadfinger said:
Japan. Only 22 killings involving firearms in 2007. 22 for the entire country. See, strict gun control laws do work.
Japan existed for centuries before guns. America exists because of guns. Add in the severe differences between cultures, and you'll see why this statistic means exactly jack squat.
America exists because of the will of the people, and the timely intervention of the French fleet and army. Guns are just a tool. They can be used for good, or for ill. The question Americans are asking themselves is "Are we really better off with all these guns on our streets?"
In any event, I'll admit that the cultures of Japan and America are different if you admit that gun control can work.
captcha-like the dickens

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Qtoy said:
Eclpsedragon said:
Qtoy said:
Eclpsedragon said:
Chihuahua-Pomeranian-About-11-different-terriers mix.
She's friggin' tiny.
I'm not arguing with you, dog sweaters are stupid. I just love telling that story.
Nah I didn't take it for arguing, It's an interesting story.

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
aba1 said:
Knobody13 said:
Everyone's so up in arms about this whole gun crime thing, so i decided to put some things in perspective for you guys.

in 2007 12,632 people were killed by guns via homicide
118,021 people died from random accidents(like slipping off a ladder)
68,705 died from diabetes
137,353 died from respiratory disease
567,628 died from cancer
128,842 died from a stroke
599,413 died from hear attack
25,000 people are killed each year in alcohol related accidents
I have to ask where are these statistics applied? They seem a bit small to be world wide statistics. I hate that people just always assume we know where they are from.
Us statistics The first is from 2007
and the rest from 2009

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
Geo Da Sponge said:
Number of people killed by deliberate nuclear detonations in the last 10 years: 0

Nuclear weapons, totally safe! I don't know why we were so worried about rogue states getting their hands on them.
I didn't say guns are safe; I said that nothing is safe.