Things from previous Elder Scrolls games that you wish were in Skyrim.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
walrusaurus said:
from morrowind: levitation. all sorts of goofy fun to be had with that.

from oblivion: spellmaking. sure people exploited it, but its a game for gods sake, what's the matter with me being able to make a death ball spell that does 999 fire, frost, and storm damage to every enemy in a 30 yard radius?
Levitation was taken out due to the cities ingame being seperate from the overworld, it was easier on the processor for the game not to load them. Since the cities contain the most detail in the game.

As for spellmaking it is actually fairly easy to exploit things like Enchanting and Smithing in Skyrim. I'm guessing they removed it primarily for streamlining purposes.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Issurru said:
ultrachicken said:
Issurru said:
(Seriously, acrobatics. come on. Seeing as how I can just spend a minute or two and jump up every mountain in skyrim AND Oblivion I don't ever see why you took it out)
They took it out because it was a pointless skill to have. Literally everyone has to jump, and specializing in it just meant that you would be more boned when you fight the next boss monster because you should have spent time on a more useful skill.
You would never have to specialize in it. Especially in Skyrim. It's not like it would be too hard to implement seeing as how they've done it before. To me it just makes the game better, regardless of whether or not it is a "pointless" skill. I just personally don't like how they keep removing all these little features that made Morrowind feel that little extra bit of special.

Because while it may not be needed, it can be a blast to have. I personally almost cried laughing when I heard that mage scream all the way down and die right in front of me. I then went and put on his boots and did the exact same thing.
Having a skill that everyone uses, but no one specializes in, is bad design. Plus, Skyrim goes for a serious tone, and having people jump over mountains for no reason other than they spent a lot of time hopping around earlier contradicts that. Not to mention that having an acrobatics skill guarantees that the player is going to hop like a rabbit wherever they go, and constantly mashing the jump button isn't fun.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
Morrowinds Enchanting madness and Spellmaking. Those two were completely off the wall bonkers. Enchanting in Skyrim feels very generic and meh in comparison.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
The mass amount of armor pieces from Morrowind, as well as the ability to create your own spells from the previous two games.

But more so the armor thing. I mean, just from oblivion to Skyrim they took out two armor spots that I am aware of, a ring and pants. And from Morrowind they took out so much, bracers being separate, the ability to wear clothes under your armor, I am sure there was more as well but I have not played Morrowind in quite some time.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
From Morrowind and Oblivion, the Acrobtics skill and from Morriwind, the Jump spell.

I miss my godly jumpan powers.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Can't believe no ones said the Arena questline. Guess I'm the only one who misses it. I thought it would have worked well maybe with the Forsworn since they're quite barbaric and they have quite large ruins.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
ultrachicken said:
Having a skill that everyone uses, but no one specializes in, is bad design. Plus, Skyrim goes for a serious tone, and having people jump over mountains for no reason other than they spent a lot of time hopping around earlier contradicts that. Not to mention that having an acrobatics skill guarantees that the player is going to hop like a rabbit wherever they go, and constantly mashing the jump button isn't fun.
I don't exactly see how it's a bad design just because it's not as useful as a combat or magic skill. Any reason why you would think that it is? Because then spears and crossbows must have been bad as well since they were removed too.

As for the serious tone that Skyrim hoped for was personally lost when I found out that the AI is still dumber than a brick wall, the voice acting still sub-par at best as well as the NPC's and their 3 lines of dialogue (whether it be spoken in random conversation or the shopkeepers lines)

And just because they put that skill in doesn't guarantee that a player is going to use it. I've rarely touched any magic school outside restoration and some destruction. Why? Because it's not the way I play. As far as pressing jump all the time isn't fun, I totally agree. But I'll throw out that when i'm running around Skyrim for ten minutes looking at nothing but the same old scenery with nothing really in it, isn't exactly fun to me either.

But hey that's just me. It's that little something extra from Morrowind that I wish would be implemented again. Its that extra little mile that really lets me thoroughly enjoy games like these, the skills or options that aren't needed but the developers still take the time and effort to put into the game for those who enjoy to mess around with when they're playing.

Captcha: stestso was. Stestso was what?

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
ultrachicken said:
Issurru said:
(Seriously, acrobatics. come on. Seeing as how I can just spend a minute or two and jump up every mountain in skyrim AND Oblivion I don't ever see why you took it out)
They took it out because it was a pointless skill to have. Literally everyone has to jump, and specializing in it just meant that you would be more boned when you fight the next boss monster because you should have spent time on a more useful skill.
by your reasoning they might as well take out the speech pick-pocket and lock-pick skills too after all specializing in any of those might leave you boned in the next boss fight as well.

OT: i miss chitin armor, pauldrons, leg guards oh and bone mold armour yeah that shit rocked hard.
i also miss spears and hand-to-hand, unarmored , i miss spell making, longer quest-lines and crossbows too ofcourse.
most important of all i miss my stats i mean seriously what? why are they gone, i love stats and not the useless silly stats like how many bunnies i've slaughtered (though admittedly funny) i want hard stats that other things depend on etc.

hmmm that is all i can think of right now. though i'm sure i've forgotten one or two things.

gewata

Mar 21, 2009
I miss being able to get a daedric weapon and almost full glass/ebony armour at level 1 (no level scaling in Morrowind ftw), as well as close to 20k gold. Yes it kinda broke the game, but it was hilarious.

I kinda miss Argonians being medium-weight fighters with some magical and stealthy abilities.

Also Black Hands Dagger. I want that shit back.

WFox

Aug 6, 2010
I missed Levitation in Oblivion, but I pined for it in Skyrim. There are so many mountains! I want to fly over them, and battle Dragons in the sky. I also miss the Mark & Recall spells, and to a lesser extent Divine Intervention.

And of course, like so many of you, I miss the various arms and armors that were available in Morrowind that were removed in the last two games. The armor mostly just made the world seem more varied and in some ways added to the atmosphere of the games. I mean, how badass was the Ordinator armor? And while I guess the developers thought that different kinds of weapons were unnecessary or redundant, I thought they added to roleplaying. I miss darts, throwing knives & stars, spears, and crossbows. And I agree about the leveling in regards to the higher quality weapons. I haven't seen a daedric weapon or armor set in Skyrim yet.

Also (and maybe this is just something I missed) but are there no enchanters in Skyrim that are willing to sell their services? Can I not collect money and pay someone to do quality enchantments for me?

One of the things that bothered me the most about Oblivion was the serious cutback in factions when compared to Morrowind, but at least the questlines for the Guilds were pretty damn good. And while Skyrim has brought back the Imperial Legion (and the Stormcloaks) they haven't been as well done as in Oblivion (though I haven't done the Thieves Guild, or Imperial Legion quests yet). Though I guess that's not what we're talking about here. I do miss Guild Ranks that seem to be gone in Skyrim. Without them it really doesn't feel like you're advancing through the faction, or even as though you're part of it. You're the new guy one day, and the boss the next. And of course, along with that it would be nice if there were skill requirements.

And finally I miss the more exotic locations, and unique architecture of Morrowind. Too much of Oblivion and Skyrim, while beautiful, seemed like generic medieval setting #5 to me. Skyrim has a few gems that are unique, I really enjoy Markarth, but overall it seems pretty generic. Cyrodil was the worse offender though, particularly since the lore described the province as a jungle not a temperate forest, but at least Shivering Isles redeemed it somewhat. But I knew Skyrim was going to be pretty generic, being based on Nordic (real world Nordic) culture. I just hope the next game (or expansion) takes us to a province or realm that, like Morrowind, we can expect to have some more unique environments.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
A high emphasis on Dremora.

They are my favourite race/characters in the Elder Scrolls universe, so it was unfortunate for me that they are underused in Skyrim. If Oblivion did one thing right, it was the excellent Dremora and in Skyrim they look and fight even better. So yeah, more Dremora, or quests concerning Dremora.

I will also have to say Morrowind's spears. I can't quite explain it, but city guards who are standing on battlements or by the gate just don't look right unless they are leaning on their spear.

I too, would have to say individual armour pieces. I'm a big fan of the style where you wear one greave on the left (leading) leg and one pauldron on the left (leading/shield arm) shoulder. This gives your right leg (for manoeuvrability) and your right arm (sword arm) more ease during battle. This style also really looks cool, I think. But you can't mix with that kind of thing if pauldrons and greaves come in pairs.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
ChaosBorne said:
ultrachicken said:
Issurru said:
by your reasoning they might as well take out the speech pick-pocket and lock-pick skills too after all specializing in any of those might leave you boned in the next boss fight as well.
The difference between the two is that Athletics and Acrobatics were constantly being trained. When you walk, you train Athletics, and just a few hops will bring you up a level in Acrobatics. By contrast, you might only come across one high-level locked chest every half hour, at most, and even fewer Speech challenges. Acrobatics and Athletics increased far faster than the other skills, sometimes dragging the player's level with them, and dumping you into situations where your high athletics score meant squat. Running and jumping were too ubiquitous as actions to be properly balanced as skills. The only other alternative to dropping them would be to have them increase much more slowly than the other skills, which would invite a host of whole new problems.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Magic creation station. I loved that thing. Had to make my favorite anime related spells.

Also, I like how Oblivion and Morrowind WORKED ON PS3 AFTER 65 HOURS!

So I would change those...
Morrowind never worked on PS3. Wouldn't even boot.

I agree with the spell creator, though! It allowed for all sorts of wonderfully game-breaking monstrosities like Fortify Mercantile/Speechcraft 100 points for 1 second, and was one of the greatest outlets for creativity in a game that already relies heavily on player creativity.

I really, really miss the long guild questlines. They're pathetically short now. Also, as mentioned previously, they don't really require you to be any good at what the guild is purportedly all about.

I'm also not a fan of having to sound like an incredulous child in every conversation I have in-game. There's rarely any alternative dialogue options at all, and when they are they're just differently worded versions of the same inane drivel.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Morrowind's feeling of being lost and in an alien world.

I think it's the quest tracker that causes this and the highly detailed map. This isn't anything that Bethesda are going to change back any time soon but I do miss it all the same.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Two things.
First, the Feather spell that increased your weight load.

Secondly and most importantly. Seriously. extremely important. It's the only reason Skyrim isn't my game of the year. This is so bad it almost made Skyrim completely unplayable for me.
I WANT THE RED COMPASS ARROW BACK!!
In Oblivion the objective marker was red! RED! Imagine that, you could see it against the background of the compass. The only thing you had that would tell you you were heading in the right direction. In a game where you spend 90% of your time traveling half way across the map and back You'd think knowing which way you were facing would be pretty fucking important. Not in Skyrim they want you to open the map every ten FUCKING seconds just to check your baring.

If they don't fix the FUCKING compass arrow in a patch I'm pretty sure I'll give up on Skyrim

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Daggerfall's spellmaker. It was glorious. Select effect, magic base, target type, name. So you could make a poison-based health-damage with an "area around caster" type called "Deadly Fart". Or a general-base fatigue-damage touch type called "Hugs from Grandma". I'm going to learn to make mods just to put something like that back in the game.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Umbra. I enjoyed finding that one static encounter in Morrowind and Oblivion.

And since this seems to also be an 'I Wish' forum, I would like to say 'No' to acrobatics.

You don't need it. Ever.

But mainly, I wish they would focus more on the quality of the quests, and not the quantity. Some of the Skyrim quests were just sad...

Great game though

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Horse Armor

For serious here:
-Unlock Spells
-Feather Spells
-Loads of armor
-Fancy clothes that look good on the female body
-King Helseth

Yeah, that sums it up.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
Hal10k said:
ChaosBorne said:
ultrachicken said:
Issurru said:
The difference between the two is that Athletics and Acrobatics were constantly being trained. When you walk, you train Athletics, and just a few hops will bring you up a level in Acrobatics. By contrast, you might only come across one high-level locked chest every half hour, at most, and even fewer Speech challenges. Acrobatics and Athletics increased far faster than the other skills, sometimes dragging the player's level with them, and dumping you into situations where your high athletics score meant squat. Running and jumping were too ubiquitous as actions to be properly balanced as skills. The only other alternative to dropping them would be to have them increase much more slowly than the other skills, which would invite a host of whole new problems.
except that you can't prevent your speech from being leveled as well simply because it goes up everytime you buy or sell something and since that is a major part of the game (pretty much unavoidable even) it can quickly lead to a jilted situation the same as with athletics and acrobatics.
and those did actually add something to your "combat" ability namely the chance to escape it, thus avoiding unwinnable scenarios, speech offers no such ability at all.

my point is they did serve a purpose and your reasoning to leave them out isn't all that sound at all, it also led to the creation of the pick-pocket skill which used to simply be part of the sneak skill so it's more a symptom of change for changes sake rather than any true need for change.