Things in media you dislike that most others like.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I'm sure most of us have that one thing most people like that the small minority don't. And I safely say I recently found something that falls under that category so brace yourselves....

.....I think the Housepets webcomic by Rick Giffin is overrated.

Hear me out, there were parts of it I liked, the anthro animal characters were mostly likeable and the story arcs that focused strictly on them and there comedic antics are decent stories in their own right.

But the comic as a whole seems to lack much grounding or coherence. Much of the arcs where the demigods are spot-lighted are difficult to decipher with their heavy reliance on walls of exposition and talks about how bureaucratic they operate the cosmos. Most of the demigods are unlikable and the few of them who are likable tend to either be bad at explaining themselves or have moments where come across as condescending. Also it has plot points that play the long game in ways that do more to test my patience than keep me positively engaged.

But the biggest problem I have with that webcomic is how it portrays the relationship the anthros seem to have with their human overlords. That's where my suspension of disbelief got torn to shreds

At best, the humans seem to flip-flop on acknowledging their 'pets' as sapient beings who possess intelligence and utility that, by all accounts, fully matches that of their human counterparts.

At worst, the humans treat the anthros like 'lesser' beings who live at best like second-class citizens and at worst like they're no different from their real-life non-sapient counterparts regardless of what the anthros say to them.

I wouldn't mind so much if the anthros fully and completely acknowledged how unfairly the humans treat them and did more to call out this oppression. But no, most of the anthros seem to regard the prejudice with either dismissal or outright denial, almost as if most of them were brainwashed into not thinking about it.

Seriously, as of this post I binge-read up to the 2017 strips and found no activist groups, no armed rebellions, almost nothing to indicate the anthros see their oppression as problem that needs fixing. The only person who seems to fighting against this unfair treatment is Keene Milton, who rarely gets any respect for his efforts.

Perhaps coincidentally, the Housepets world is built stands in contrast to a book series I read with a somewhat similar setting called the Moreau series by Andrew S Swann.

Both featured sentient anthropomorphic animals that get treated like oppressed minorities by their human overlords. But unlike the Housepets animals, the anthros of the Moreau series (eponymously called "Moreaus") fully acknowledge when humans treat them unfairly and have moments of them regularly trying to fight against their oppression. Also, the humans (even the bigoted ones) fully and consistently acknowledge the Moreaus as sentient. Plus, the Moreau Protagonists sometimes gain human allies that support them however they can.

Is it bad that I think a sci-fi biopunk book series did a better job with this premise than what's supposed to be a light-hearted comedic webcomic?

Anyway, what are things in media you dislike that you know most others enjoy?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The MCU. People tend to make painfully unfunny quips at each other instead of talking, and Tony Stark being irresponsible while rich doesn't make him likeable, in the same way being incompetent and rich doesn't make Donald Trump likeable.