Things in video games that took you years to realize

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
What are some instances of fairly obvious things in video games that you might be ashamed to say it took you possibly years to realize? I'll give a few examples to make this more clear-

Alucard is Dracula spelled backwards

The town names in Earthbound are numbered "Onett, Twoson, Threed, Fourside"

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Those breakable bricks from the mario series are actually toads transformed by Bowser, meaning that I've been killing toads ever since the first Super Mario Bros.

The thing is, this is mentioned in the game's manual.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
How to get to that last damn dragon in Tree Tops in Spyro the Dragon!!!!

Also it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I finaly found that one box I was missing in "Cold Hard Crash" in Crash Bandicoot 2, without using any guides at all.

Dchao

Apr 10, 2011
SpaceBat said:
Those breakable bricks from the mario series are actually toads transformed by Bowser, meaning that I've been killing toads ever since the first Super Mario Bros.

No no, wait, seriously? Why the fuck are they turned into blocks?

PPB

May 25, 2009
Donkey Kong Country 2: it's Diddy's Kong Quest, not Diddy Kong's Quest. I know it's right there on the cartridge but I only realised it a few years back when someone pointed it out on a forum.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
PPB said:
Donkey Kong Country 2: it's Diddy's Kong Quest, not Diddy Kong's Quest. I know it's right there on the cartridge but I only realised it a few years back when someone pointed it out on a forum.
Holy crap you're right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_Country_2:_Diddy%27s_Kong_Quest

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dchao said:
SpaceBat said:

Hey?

That's a bit...what?

ntw3001

Sep 7, 2009
Venonat should evolve into Butterfree! Or, well, Venomoth and Butterfree's sprites are switched. It's a conspiracy!

Fanitullen

Nov 7, 2008
ChupathingyX said:
Alo it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I finaly found that one box I was missing in "Cold Hard Crash" in Crash Bandicoot 2, without using any guides at all.
The 10-woompa fruit box hidden above the two 10-fruit boxes in the bonus area? It was YEARS before I found that!

EDIT: On topic: The flying bear suit you found in the fourth world in Super Mario Bros 3 can turn you into a statue if you press down. I never realized that while playing.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
You can run in Resident evil 4. I didn't know you could until someone wrote an article recently mentioning it.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Fanitullen said:
The 10-woompa fruit box hidden above the two 10-fruit boxes in the bonus area? It was YEARS before I found that!
Yeah I think that's the one, it's like situated in the air behind a wall so you can't see it.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
Legend of Dragoon. Recently played through most of it again and I realized:
1: Did they not even bother attempting to be creative with the names for the wild creatures in between cities?
2: Astral Drain... Rose I don't care what you are doing with that Energy- you're still my third favorite girl in the World! Right Behind Tali and... well, an actual real girl I'm in love with. ^^

Seriously Never noticed Astral drain until recently. And then I was like WTF??!! Who the hell designed this and thought it was ok?!

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Dchao said:
I don't know.

"Basically the manual says the Mushroom Kingdom was the peaceful home of the Toads until the day Bowser and his wicked minions invaded. Using powerful magic, Bowser transformed the Toads into bricks and quickly conquered the land."

Peach knows the cure to this, but she's kidnapped by bowser, so it's your job to save her.

Dchao

Apr 10, 2011
SpaceBat said:
Dchao said:
I don't know.

"Basically the manual says the Mushroom Kingdom was the peaceful home of the Toads until the day Bowser and his wicked minions invaded. Using powerful magic, Bowser transformed the Toads into bricks and quickly conquered the land."

Peach knows the cure to this, but she's kidnapped by bowser, so it's your job to save her.
Or just fucking smash your face into each and everyone one of them?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
That Oblivion had a "Pick up" button, where you could hold and move an item without it actually entering into your inventory. I was stuck on a quest for AGES because I did not know this! I've also just got the hang of Oblivion's level system after 6 years of owning the game... I'm a bad RPG player ok?

It also took me AGES to realise that the blind seeress that guides you in Fable 2 and 3 was TERESA, the sister from the first Fable. I missed this fact DESPITE the game telling me her name and, quite honestly, it being incredibly obvious.

Oh the shame.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Rex Fallout said:
1: Did they not even bother attempting to be creative with the names for the wild creatures in between cities?
2: Astral Drain... Rose I don't care what you are doing with that Energy- you're still my third favorite girl in the World! Right Behind Tali and... well, an actual real girl I'm in love with. ^^

Seriously Never noticed Astral drain until recently. And then I was like WTF??!! Who the hell designed this and thought it was ok?!
Astral Drain? Isn't that the move where she pees healing energy onto the party? I always raise my eyebrow when I do that move. Just why?

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Well I don't know if I'm ashamed that I don't know it, but it did take me years to realise.

I must have played through the first level of Duke Nukem 3D dozens of times, and I thought I knew where all the secrets were. This was many years ago, obviously; I was just a kid.

Then, a few weeks ago, I watched a video of someone playing through the level, as they found another couple I had no idea about.

It was a bit of a shock. To discover in such a casual way that they had been there, all these years, and I never knew.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
PPB said:
LOLOL they tried really hard to make that sound like Diddy's Conquest.

I did not know about the L3 and R3 buttons on the PS2 until recently... like this year recently...

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Rex Fallout said:

Astral Drain? Isn't that the move where she pees healing energy onto the party? I always raise my eyebrow when I do that move. Just why?
It is. The point is I didn't notice until recently. Seriously though you think that was ok? I wanted that game taken seriously I LOVE that game.