Things that are illegal, that you don't have problem with

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
MrCherry said:
In England, You can own A TV without a licence aslong as you DO NOT watch A BBC channel
It's actually ANY aerial channel. If your house is incapable of recieving a TV signal (I.e. No antenna/cableing) you don't need a license. If you have freeview and just watch say, Five USA, you need a license.

The PC thing is if you have an aerial socket on your PC (Some graphics cards can read TV signals so yeah).

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
AdmiralMemo said:
AccursedTheory said:
AdmiralMemo said:
Anyone wonder why you could get a gumball in the 50s for a penny or a nickel, but today, it takes 50 or 75 cents now to buy one? Prices have slowly risen, and the only reason we haven't complained much is that income has also risen to meet rising costs. Minimum wage has risen to about $7 per hour, give or take. Why? Because stuff costs so much to buy. Why does it cost so much? Companies raised prices to get more profit. A person making $7 per hour today isn't REALLY making anything over someone making $2 per hour in the 50s, even though they're making more than 3 times as much money.
That's monetary inflation you are describing, not greed (Though I'm sure that has something to do with it as well).
Question: Would we even HAVE much monetary inflation if people sold stuff at or just above cost? I highly doubt it.
Yeah, we would. Monetary inflation is caused by an excess of money. Price Inflation (What you are referring to) is CAUSED by monetary inflation, not the other way around.

Declaro

Sep 1, 2010
Personal recreational drug use, mostly marijuana. I'm not sure how I stand on the other drugs, but I'm pretty big on 'your body, your choice', so long as you're not, you know, letting your kids starve for some crack. (Though really that applies to alcohol too...)

Prostitution, if it's legit it's a lot easier to regulate. Underage drinking if it's in someone's home, gay marriage and immigration, illegal immigrants if they're not dangerous (especially if they're escaping oppression, i.e. Mexicans escaping drug wars, Afghans and Iraqis escaping... Iraq and Afghanistan), piracy of movies, games, etc.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Varanfan9 said:
Gay marriage, sodomy, marijuana, prostitution, public nudity, and the drinking age being higher than the smoking age.
this and file and music sharing

The drinking age law is utter BS. I mean at 18 I can join the military, go to a titty bar, smoke, get credit w/o a parent, get married, but I can't have a drink?

MrCherry

Oct 2, 2010
Danzaivar said:
MrCherry said:
In England, You can own A TV without a licence aslong as you DO NOT watch A BBC channel
It's actually ANY aerial channel. If your house is incapable of recieving a TV signal (I.e. No antenna/cableing) you don't need a license. If you have freeview and just watch say, Five USA, you need a license.

The PC thing is if you have an aerial socket on your PC (Some graphics cards can read TV signals so yeah).
I've known quite a few people who have gone to court with this, all of them got away with it because they didn't watch a BBC channel, the only thing that the TV licence pays for are the BBC channels, it's a loophole in the law.

As for the PC thing, thats how i've seen people get caught out, if they have A computer and it's suspected they've watch Iplayer on there, the law now allows them to take the computer away to find out, if there are signs of Iplayer.. you get the gist

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
Snake Plissken said:
Blindswordmaster said:
What are some laws that you personally disagree with. I personally don't get lawsuits. I believe that if you've really done something wrong, then you should be brought upon criminal charges. I also think pot should be legal; not because I smoke it, but because there are other worse drugs and drug dealers that we should focus our attention on thwarting.
I have a feeling that if lawsuits were gone and people faced criminal charges instead, 75% of the United States population would be in debtors prison in the current state of the economy. How do you think creditors recoup lost damages?
They don't.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
Blindswordmaster said:
ravensheart18 said:
Blindswordmaster said:
What are some laws that you personally disagree with. I personally don't get lawsuits. I believe that if you've really done something wrong, then you should be brought upon criminal charges. .
You want someone thown in jail and given a criminal record because they didn't pay you back a $100 loan? Or to risk jail because you didn't pay your rent one month according to your landlord?
That's an example of a private matter not even requiring government intervention. Besides, isn't that where that would end up anyway? There's nothing making them pay you.
There is nothing making them pay you WITHOUT government intervention. Once you go to court you can force them to pay and/or seize their assets, paycheque, etc.

Very few places in the world send you to jail as a result of a civil suit.
You would be jailed if you were to continue to refuse to pay.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
zombays said:
Atheist. said:
Drugs regulations, weapon regulations, prostitution, public nudity, public intoxication, speeding, reckless driving, lying under oath..

Piracy, under age anything (thats what parents are for), inhumane research restrictions, cannibalism.

Making it illegal to play catch on the beach, the death penalty, spitting in public, having sex in public, fighting for money, assaulting douchebags.
All of those are bad EXCEPT for assaulting douchebags, if you really those thinks should not be laws, than you´re really low class
Defining class on the regulations of your society is a rather poor way to classify something. Now the actions one takes in that society define the class of an individual. I never claimed to have interest in these things, but rather I believe people should have the ability to choose what they wish to do.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
AdmiralMemo said:
Question: Would we even HAVE much monetary inflation if people sold stuff at or just above cost? I highly doubt it.
Yeah, we would. Monetary inflation is caused by an excess of money. Price Inflation (What you are referring to) is CAUSED by monetary inflation, not the other way around.
So, the question becomes: "How do we as a whole group of people get rid of a whole bunch of money, so prices go down?" (Because greed, of course, causes each of us to not want to get rid of our money, specifically, even if it's in the group's best interest.)