Things that are illegal, that you don't have problem with

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Blindswordmaster said:
I also think pot should be legal; not because I smoke it, but because there are other worse drugs and drug dealers that we should focus our attention on thwarting.
I don't see why pot isn't legal yet. It hasn't killed anyone and is apparently healthful (unlike cigarettes, beer and, fireworks which are all very legal) Wouldn't legal pot also help the economy? I also don't smoke...my only vice is

Also: if Prostitution is legalized (and strictly regulated I guess, if only to make sure the women and men are clean) then we should be well enough financially to actually start colonizing the Moon.

Also-Also: when the church starts to complain about the legalized Weed and, Whores, that's when we bring in a new law requiring all churches and cults to pay taxes. Seriously, with all of the influence the church had and still has I see it as wrong for them to tell us how to live without paying the same toll as the rest of us.

freedomweasel

Sep 24, 2010
Dags90 said:
Marijuana, prostitution, certain instances of underage drinking, pumping your own gas.
What s/he said, and blue laws.

If I want to buy alcohol on Sunday I should be able to. If a store wants to restrict me that's one thing, if the state wants to, that's totally different.

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
Dags90 said:
Marijuana, prostitution, certain instances of underage drinking, pumping your own gas.
those things, except where im from prostitution is legal and cops wont do anything if youre smoking marijuana

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Claptrap said:
Wait, Pumping your own gas is illegal?

....Huh.
Where I live it is; it's illegal in NJ and Oregon. I've been driving for 3.5 years and have never pumped my own gas. The law was made decades ago when the pumps used weren't particularly smart and cars had just become commonplace. It's pretty awesome not having to get out of your car to get gas, especially in crappy weather.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
rated pg said:
J-walking! (when you aren't fucking with drivers of course)
Definitely. In fact, I think fucking with drivers is something legal that I do have a problem with. Boston road systems are bad enough without pedestrains causing trouble as well.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Is there a law that states that a law is valid, even if it's arguments are shown untrue and logically false? Or is there a law that states that a law applies, even if it runs contrary to the intentions of the law, in the case at hand?

If yes, then i not only disagree, i want to kill them with fire... and then run them over with a tank, blow a full SMG magazine into them, burn them again, maim them, dive them in acid..... i could come up with more ways to kill them over and over the entire day.

Claptrap

Nov 18, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
JamesCG said:
Pumping your own gas is illegal? There's self serve up here. ._.
But, yeah. Prostitution and Marijuana.

That's really all I can think of.
Oregon won't let you pump your own gas.

OT: Pot, drinking at 18 and higher, having sex with a virgin in Washington state (I wish I was kidding)...

Here is a last of actual laws from my state (Washington)
"No walking in public if you have the common cold"
"Lollipops are illegal"
"X-Rays may not be used to fit shoes" (WTF)
"?It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town." (WHAT... THE... HELL...)
"No buying mattresses on Sunday's" (HUH?)
"No pretending your parents are rich" (NO FUCKING WAY)
"When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed." (FIGURE THIS ONE OUT, I DARE YOU)
"You may not carry a concealed weapon over six feet in length"
Are those actually enforced?

They sound really, Really stupid.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Long list, some of these aren't illegal per say but have a lot of legal issues surrounding them here in Canada: Marijuana, most class A drugs, piracy, whoring, stem cell research, genetically modified food, the new MS treatment that doctors say 'needs more study' even though people have gotten it and stood up out of their wheelchairs, taxes on booze, taxes on smokes, the provincial monopoly on alcohol, the 'Environmental Electronics Tax' for when you buy electronic goods, and the harmonized sales tax. Bear in mind, I'm a libertarian, I see a lot of these as both illegal government action and morally wrong.

freedomweasel

Sep 24, 2010
rated pg said:
J-walking! (when you aren't fucking with drivers of course)
Eh, people who cross the street within just a few yards of a crosswalk piss me the hell off. There's a cross walk right there, with signals and everything, use it.

That said, I've never seen or heard of anyone getting a ticket for it, I just think their being selfish making me stop for them instead of using the traffic system already in place.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
In the UK, it is illegal to leave baggage unattended, though equally, picking up abandoned baggage is an act of terrorism... I mean come on! Make your mind up!

Apparently, I also have to carry out two hours of longbow practice a week. I'd rather just use a rifle...

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Two, for me.

First is the seatbelt law. For one, zero tolerance? Why on earth do we have zero tolerance for seatbelts? That's probably the most harmless thing anyone could do in a car! For two, it's borderline unconstitutional. If you don't wear a seatbelt, it will not cause an accident at all. It simply will not affect your probability of hurting someone. But let's say you do get in an accident: you could die. But no one else. In absolutely no situation does the lack of a seatbelt threaten the life or well-being of anyone but yourself. Ever. So charing you $100 every time you get caught without one? That's bull.

Second is the illegality of emulation of old games. Most Super Nintendo games, for instance, are no longer being made. Meaning that even if you went on Ebay and bought a physical copy, the original creators of the game will get absolutely no money whatsoever. The only way to give a publisher money from a game they already stopped making is to randomly donate it with a note saying, "This is 'cause I liked your old SNES game." It's immensely stupid that these games, which can no longer profit the publishers in any way, are not public domain at this point. The actual cartridges are already little more than collector's items: let people easily experience the classics of the medium and keep us paying for the games that will actually benefit the makers.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
How about guns in the UK?

Just kidding, let's not dwelve on this any longer.

Drugs are illegal for a reason, less people try them and get possibly addicted. For those that are already doing them no law will have much of an effect, but newcomers have a harder time, which is the entire point of those laws.
It's less about punishing people doing pot or whatever and more about deterrence. Drug addicts are a burden on society, and while not everyone becomes addicted obviously, we shouldn't take any chances.

Besides, I never had a problem obtaining and consuming them regardless of the legal situation.
These laws can get annoying, but I can see where they're coming from.

Thaius said:
Two, for me.

First is the seatbelt law. For one, zero tolerance? Why on earth do we have zero tolerance for seatbelts? That's probably the most harmless thing anyone could do in a car! For two, it's borderline unconstitutional. If you don't wear a seatbelt, it will not cause an accident at all. It simply will not affect your probability of hurting someone. But let's say you do get in an accident: you could die. But no one else. In absolutely no situation does the lack of a seatbelt threaten the life or well-being of anyone but yourself. Ever. So charing you $100 every time you get caught without one? That's bull.
Simulations show that not wearing a seatbelt increases the possibility of hurting or even killing the other passengers of the car you're sitting in.
There are even cases where the only person who didn't die in an accident is the person that wasn't wearing his seatbelt.
Everyone else would have survived the crash if just this one person had been wearing his seatbelt.

With your point on emulation I agree though.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
TRR said:
Dags90 said:
those things, except where im from prostitution is legal and cops wont do anything if youre smoking marijuana
where I'm from the cops will join you...

OT: yeah probably prostitution... just business...

kitsunema

Apr 16, 2009
Claptrap said:
JamesCG said:
Pumping your own gas is illegal? There's self serve up here. ._.
But, yeah. Prostitution and Marijuana.

That's really all I can think of.
Oregon won't let you pump your own gas.

OT: Pot, drinking at 18 and higher, having sex with a virgin in Washington state (I wish I was kidding)...

Here is a last of actual laws from my state (Washington)
"No walking in public if you have the common cold"
"Lollipops are illegal"
"?It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town." (WHAT... THE... HELL...)
"No buying mattresses on Sunday's" (HUH?)
"No pretending your parents are rich" (NO FUCKING WAY)
"When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed." (FIGURE THIS ONE OUT, I DARE YOU)
"You may not carry a concealed weapon over six feet in length"
Are those actually enforced?

They sound really, Really stupid.
these are what you call blue laws they are rediculous but back in the day the people writing these law thought they make sense

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Marijuana prohibition is completely, utterly fucking ridiculous. I'd even go a step further and suggest we follow the Portuguese model---they've decriminalized possession and use ALL drugs, freeing their police to devote their full attention to combating drug trafficking. Portugal has not turned into a hotbed of junkies, either.

Prostitution is a victimless crime, especially in a country where abortion is legal (though I think it would be hilarious to be a pimp's accountant and treat abortion as "cost of goods sold". "Why yes, Terrell, your bottom ***** does get knocked up a lot, it's really eating into her margins. I'll call Dr. Stotch at the clinic and let's see about getting her tubes tied."

Motorcycle helmet laws I leave to Jerry Seinfeld: "Why would we want to pass a law to protect the brain of someone too stupid to wear a helmet?"

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
I might be able to shed some light on that one, thanks to random viewing of the History channel one night.
Basically, back when x-rays were first becoming popular, it became the "new thing" to get x-ray machines that would see the bones in your feet and give you your shoe size.
Definitely hot shit for its time, but it also exposed customers (and especially operators, many of whom would reach into the machine mid-operation to squeeze the shoe during fittings) to dangerous levels of radiation. As such, legislation was introduced that was important at the time, though now pretty obsolete. I can only assume that's where that law came from.

"By the early 1950s, a number of professional organizations had issued warnings about the continued use of shoe-fitting fluoroscopes, e.g., the ACGIH, American College of Surgeons, New York Academy of Medicine and the American College of Radiology. At the same time, the District of Columbia issued regulations that shoe fitting fluoroscopes could only be operated by a licensed physiotherapist. A few years later, Massachusetts passed regulations requiring that the machines be operated by a licensed physician. In 1957 the State of Pennsylvania became the first jurisdiction to ban the use of shoe fitting fluoroscopes. By 1960, these events, plus pressure from insurance companies, had led to the demise of the shoe-fitting fluoroscope, at least in the U.S. In the end, the shoe stores were probably just as glad to be rid of the things - at least one survey had indicated that the machines were perceived by shoe salesmen a sales gimmick rather than a useful tool.

Attempts to impose regulatory restrictions on the use of shoe fitting fluoroscopes seem to have been limited to the United States . Despite considerable effort, Jacalyn Duffin and Charles Hayter, authors of the aforementioned "Baring the Sole: The Rise and Fall of the Shoe Fitting Fluoroscope," could not find any Canadian or British legislative action pertaining to these devices. In fact, Duffin and Hayter noted that these machines continued to be used in Canada and the UK , albeit to a limited extent, at least until 1970."

Source: http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/shoefittingfluor/shoe.htm