Things that by all rights you should hate, but actually love

Nov 28, 2007
"The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)". Both the music and the singing lack any consistency, jumping styles on a whim, and the lyrics are ridiculous. It's nothing more than a fad song, up there with the Harlem Shake and twerking. But it's so ridiculous, I just have to sit back with a goofy grin and listen to it.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
This song.

I should hate every little thing about it ('cept for Kendrick Lamar) but when it first came out I couldn't stop listening to it and I still love it to this day.

animeh1star1a

Nov 7, 2012
For me this is easy, The anime AIR MASTER

it has one of the worst ending's i have ever seen in an anime, on of the characters has breasts literally bigger then her head, and displayed in a really unappealing way while bouncing independent of each other, one of the most annoying character's in anime, ignoring the laws of physics and gravity, and having a female as the main fighter (this is a tick on the list because most fighting heroines in anime are designated to fan service and being completely unrealistic. I.e. Long flowing hair then never gets messy or pulled in a fight, small frame with disproportionate power and speed, lack of muscle tone, they never sweat, and often have bullshit origins as to how they came to be fighters (ie they were trained by a master man martial artist dude bro perv happosai or a disciple of said thing)

The reason i like this anime is because the main character and fighter is actually believable. Shes well over 6' tall, was an Olympic athlete in a discipline that translates well into martial arts, has parents who are also champions of something or another that can translate into street fighting, and a lot of the combat is realistic (to an extent, if you ignore the ending). The characters, however annoying, have some charm and the love interest of the main character is big boobs character with bad voice acting.... I'm a sucker for love

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
I'm going to have to agree with Harleykin on this one... Timber by Pitbull and Kesha has been my guilty pleasure for awhile now. It got to the point where if it was on the radio, I would automatically turn my volume up higher. And even worse, once I determined I was no longer embarrassed by this, I started playing it on the bar's jukebox.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Continuing the anime train here, I'd say Spice and Wolf. It's medieval economics in a romantic comedy wrapping paper. Normally I avoid that genre like the plague pretty much everywhere. But unlike most romances in anime, this one actually felt genuine. Maybe it's because I tend to associate with people by making fun of them in the name of good fun(at this point it's an inherited trait). The fact that they tease each other in a believable manner turns this into what I'd call the most sincere romance I've seen in an anime. Also it made me laugh.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
The Bachelor/Bachelorette reality tv-shows. I don't watch much reality TV and I especially loathe all kinds of relationship/dating related reality shows since many of those promote such twisted ideas about "good" relationships. For some reason though, I really like to watch Bachelor/Bachelorette. I can't relate to any of the contestants and I don't generally find the contestants attractive, but there is something really entertaining about the show(s). Yeah...

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
The Gundam series, at least 00 and more so SEED ( haven't watched the others yet ).

Especially freaking Kira Yamato. He's bland, he hates everything he does yet is somehow amazingly good at it but somehow he seems to own all of that and make it genuine. Not quite sure what it is.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. I saw the first episode, and it looked like something I wouldn't keep my interest. Decided to give it another shot after it finished airing, and it ended up being one of the best anime I saw that year.

Similar situation with Squid Girl and Girls Und Panzer. I watched Squid Girl as something to pass the time, and it ended up being one of my favorite anime comedies. Girls Und Panzer I thought was just gonna be a K-ON! knock-off but with tanks, and expected it to be more "cute girls doing cute stuff" than them doing actual tank stuff, and again, I simply watched it to pass the time. Not only did it keep the focus on tankery, but it was rather light on the "cute girls doing cute thing", and the tank battles were surprisingly very exciting, despite no one dying.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009

I used to watch this as a kid. Ten-year-old me thought Xena was pretty much the greatest thing to ever grace a screen.

Recently I came across the DVD set for the entire show and ended up borrowing it. Because nostalgia I guess.

Turns out my childhood memories were, err... less than accurate. The show was goofy as all hell. It might just be the most tonally inconsistent bit of media I've ever come across. I should hate it. I should have returned to whence it came with a derisive sneer. Instead I watched the whole damn thing then went back to rewatch the good bits.

Oct 10, 2011
I suppose I should hate science. Not the products, but actually doing research and applied math and the like. I avoid work at almost all costs, and I normally hate memorizing formulas and methods. But when the work involves designing my own experiment, I'll be the first one with my PPE on. When the math is applied to physics or chemistry I'll drop whatever I'm doing to do it.

I suppose for the math part it doesn't hurt that I can find out mathematical relationships between things before it is ever taught. I don't need to memorize formulas or relationships for science, because I can just forget it and work out the formula again on exam day.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Uhura said:
The Bachelor/Bachelorette reality tv-shows. I don't watch much reality TV and I especially loathe all kinds of relationship/dating related reality shows since many of those promote such twisted ideas about "good" relationships. For some reason though, I really like to watch Bachelor/Bachelorette. I can't relate to any of the contestants and I don't generally find the contestants attractive, but there is something really entertaining about the show(s). Yeah...
You kinda ninja'd me. Theres a program here in the UK called take me out which combines these shows with elements of a gameshow. The basic premise of the show is simple there are 30 women and each has a podium that lights up. If they like the guy they leave the light on if they dont then its "no likey, no lighty" its all very sexist, shallow and everyone is always devoid of any form of personality but boy is it entertaining

Anyway enjoy it for yourself