Things that film makers and writers do that piss you off.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Trying to build tension by putting a lead character in danger, in most cases you know well in advance that character won't die, Doctor Who has been doing this too much recently. Also as a lot of others have said most film romance straight up sucks.

WorriedSandwich

Nov 23, 2011
When the hero's plan involves running through the open in a hail of gunfire and just banking on none of the bullets hitting him. Every time, I imagine how the film would end if he was just hit in the head.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
lord.jeff said:
Trying to build tension by putting a lead character in danger, in most cases you know well in advance that character won't die.
ummm.....isnt that 99% of all main conflict in fiction?

I kind of get what you mean with dr who...it would have to depend on the specific work

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Ledan said:
As for space: Why are your goddamn spaceships areodynamic? They are built for space. They don't need to be. Also: dont ever build a warship for space with a front and back. It's stupid. You should be able to fire in all directions, and move in all directions. Otherwise you are going to get hit from every single side but the one you are facing.
This is why I believe the Borg cube is the best ship in all of science fiction.

I hate it when writers use Parrot Exposition (look it up on tvtropes). It's used a bunch in video games and reeks of bad writing.

Bad writing?

Yes, as if the writer had no other way to establish exposition.

Exposition?

Exposition is the process of explaining back-story and including information about the world your fiction takes place in.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
GrimTuesday said:
Ok, so I just watched and wrote a short report on the movie Spartacus, the classic 1960 Kirk Douglas film about the slave rebellion that kicked off the Third Servile war. Now, I'm a history buff, so historical inaccuracies annoy me greatly, but there is one thing that annoys me more than that, and that is shoehorning in love interests. In real life, we don't really know whether or not the real Spartacus had a wife, though it is entirely possible and likely when considering the fact that Plutarch mentions that Spartacus did have a wife who was some sort of prophetess to whom Spartacus had been married to since before they were slaves, though this is corroborated by no other source. But in the movie Spartacus is a gladiator, and having won a fight is sent a serving girl to "entertain" him. Of course, Spartacus is far too noble to take advantage of this poor woman, and refuses to rape her[footnote]which I might add is ridiculous in and of itself. Women were not treated well in Ancient Rome, they were seen more as property than actual human beings.[/footnote]. It goes on even after the slaves have thrown off their chains, with Spartacus making the woman (Varinia) his wife and them having a child. The whole first part would have been fine, it establishes Spartacus as a good guy who is noble despite the circumstances, however, the rest of it just feels stupid and forced, as the movie is about Spartacus and his war against Rome, not about Spartacus and his relationship with some woman.

SO what sorts of things bother you about movies? Specific examples and general complaints are both welcome in this thread
I'm with you OP!

I hate how every movie has to include a love interest in some way for no apparent reason, like some sort of unwritten law, using a bad example because it was a poor movie in general but the last airbender just threw in this relationship story 2/3rd's of the way through the movie without anything other than a 5 second scene where the guy looked at the princess in slow motion.

It just feels so stupid that love HAS to be a subplot in EVERYTHING

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I hate the rachel-ross will they ever back together thing.
I can name you another one that is obviously so similar, penny - leonard.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
More of a general complaint. I really dislike when a main protagonist is about to get annihilated and is saved, "in the nick of time". This scenario is very overused in current media.

Also, I read somewhere that actors always stare at the receiver of a phone before they hang it up. I never really paid attention to this little detail before until now. It drives me crazy. Why must they do this. >.>

Finally I dislike long winded speeches when the antagonist meets the protagonist. I was so thankful in the movie, "Serenity" when Malcolm shoots the agent while he's still talking, at Inara's place. That was actually kind of realistic, and unusual.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Louzerman102 said:
I hate it when writers use Parrot Exposition (look it up on tvtropes). It's used a bunch in video games and reeks of bad writing.

Bad writing?

Yes, as if the writer had no other way to establish exposition.

Exposition?

Exposition is the process of explaining back-story and including information about the world your fiction takes place in.
What you did there. I see it. It makes me laugh.

Pop-culture fan

Jan 18, 2012
I hate it, when a harmless loner has to "redeem" himself by learning friendship.(generally with annoying people that causes him trouble all the time)

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Soviet Heavy said:
Eddie the head said:
I ***** about this almost every time but. You take off your helmet in space, your head freezes solid. I hate that. I just hate it.
I've seen the Instant Freezing Space Thing averted maybe twice. The first time was in the film Titan A.E, and the second time was in the Cowboy Bebop Episode Heavy Metal Queen.

You will not freeze to death in space. Ever. You will either die of asphyxiation, explosive decompression, or radiation burning you to a crisp. Your corpse will freeze sure, but it will take hours for your body temperature to dissipate in a vacuum, since radiation is the only feasible way to transfer energy, and it's pretty slow compared to conduction or convection.

But if films are to be believed, you will freeze faster than Boris getting drenched in nitrogen in Goldeneye.
apparently this is what happens:
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html

saliva boiling on your tounge? scary!

as for my ot answer..... I don't like what I call a 'timid film'. this is where a story has been dumbed down or elements of plot removed, usually in the case of book adaptations, because somebody somewhere was scared the audience wouldn't get it and thus lose money.

Accel

Aug 18, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
It was a bad idea to put someone like Derpy in in the first place. The terminology of Derp was created as an internet catch phrase for a mentally retarded person. Without thinking, the show developers put a character related with a meme onto the show, not realizing what the name stood for or how it would go down with the parents of the show's target demographic.
I look forward to when the CMC become best friends with Pedo Bear.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
This is more for TV than movies, but killing off a character or two when it makes sense for the plot is fine, but some writers go overboard with it and kill off almost EVERYONE. This is not okay. Side/reoccurring characters keep shows fresh and interesting. Don't kill EVERYONE other than the one or two leads.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, TORCHWOOD AND SUPERNATURAL.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
It was a bad idea to put someone like Derpy in in the first place. The terminology of Derp was created as an internet catch phrase for a mentally retarded person. Without thinking, the show developers put a character related with a meme onto the show, not realizing what the name stood for or how it would go down with the parents of the show's target demographic.
WRONG! "Derp" essentially means "Goofball". That's where it all came from. It isn't at the fault of whoever came up with the word, any more than words like "Balls", for example. Lots of people are going to come up with stupid new meanings for entirely innocent words.

The problem is that so many people are letting these dirty-minded people win by retreating from using these words in their proper meanings. If "Derpy" was being used in a goodhearted, positive context, which it was, why complain about how other people misuse the word?

After all, it seems no one's "allowed" to have Santa Claus say "Ho, ho, ho!" This is simply because "Ho" is pronounced the same way as "Hoe", which is apparently offensive, even though it's also a gardening tool. Therefore, they retreat from the proper use of the word and let the dirtbags win.
The Tall Nerd said:
nothing is killing mlp
people appreciate their fans

especially Hasbro, remember when optimus prime died and was replaced?

you dont?
fans that's why

calm down people like their fans
just enjoy the show jeez , and take pride in yourself you sound you have really low self esteem your a fan, and they appreciate your buissness be happy
Umm... What? No. It's like how all too many game developers these days try to make their games longer by adding excess filler content that only lags the game down. This is stuff that completely spits on itself. This show used to be so unconventional. It was doing things other shows wouldn't dare to do, weather they were for children or adults. Now, it's just trying to do what everything else is doing. It's becoming generic and even starting to sacrifice its moral standards for fans on the dark side.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
WWmelb said:
Stephen King short stories.
Can't really speak for all of them, but I read short-story of the Langoliers. The movie's about accurate.

ginger5010 said:
Love my job, since I've been bringing in $82h? I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online? cloud68 DoTCom
This is a bot. Remove him please.

OT: Speaking AS a writer, I'd like to say that some people probably complain too mucm, but also that some concerns are even shared by me. For instance, while this is not a deep complaint, I've made mention that we need to be a little more subtle with our Chekov's Guns and Macguffins. When a movie introduces a thing, but then doesn't have much of a reason for having said it right then and there, it's clear that it WILL be relevant later. Suspense keeping us more in the dark can be a power for good in this case.

A good use of the mechanic? Let's check on Ripley for a second in Aliens. Had to get a new job loading cargo with an exo-suit. It gets mentioned off-hand as part of Ripley's unfortunate circumstances after the Company dropped her, and then it gets USED in an amusing scene where she starts carrying her own weight around the marines, literally. It doesn't become apparent at the time that in a movie involving the terror of fighting acid-blooded aliens with guns and flamethrowers that the main character will fight off the Queen on the ship with a loader-suit.

Eekaida

Jan 13, 2010
The 'from camera' perspective when there is no camera. It's SO annoying and completely breaks the immersion. If there's a camera, there must be a camera person filming the events. If you're not going to include them as an actualy character in the script (and a HALF character, who doesn't say or do anything but film) then don't bother hacing the 'from camera' perspective - just keep to the normal omnipresent perspective!

J. MB

Nov 20, 2009
Whenever it's set in ancient times, they ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a British accent. This is why I can't watch anything based on Ancient Greece or Rome, it irks me so bad.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Nothing bothers me too much,but I'm not too fond of either clearly inaccurate history or shoehorned in love interests. I also don't like when filmmakers/ writers try to hard to make their characters "badass," I'm not too fond of the badass character archetype in general but when overdone it just gets ridiculous. Also characters falling in love too quickly; it doesn't happen overnight guys.

mechashiva77 said:
consenually (really chrome? Is this really not a word)
Really, "consenually" is not a word. Maybe you were thinking of consensually?