Things that make you ask "What where they thinking?"

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
There are always things that make no logical sense from the costumer point of view. Some examples are the Windows 8 user interface for anyone using it on a computer or cellphone. So what are ones that bug you, and why?

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
Adding lips and noses to the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the MacBookAir track-pad not having tap to select by default, Russia's anti gay "propaganda" laws.
Why? Because TMNT look ugly in the uncanny valley that way, because I use different machines it would be nice if they were similar, and Putin well. Putin. Also people should be able to love each other without some third party telling them it's not okay.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Not sure if this counts, but ever hear of something called Kiss Players? It's set in the Transformers franchise, and involves teenage girls (who look underage for some reason) that fuse with Transformers by kissing them.

...I couldn't make this shit up if I tried, people.

More info here for the morbidly curious (just don't say I didn't warn you): http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Kiss_Players_(franchise)

...Just... just what the fuck Japan?!?!

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
Not sure if this counts, but ever hear of something called Kiss Players? It's set in the Transformers franchise, and involves teenage girls (who look underage for some reason) that fuse with Transformers by kissing them.

More info here for the morbidly curious (just don't say I didn't warn you): http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Kiss_Players_(franchise)

You picked this weakling as your "wtf Japan" example? Alright, you're either holding out on me or you're woefully innocent.

OT: Purple throws in BlazBlue. You can throw reset someone while already comboing them already and if that wasn't bad enough, your average latency makes it near impossible to predict and break it. I think they removed them in Chrono Phantasma though so at least they noticed how stupid that mechanic is.

Oh and while we're on the subject, Skullgirls' Infinite Prevention System while having good intentions is just the worst shit ever. Basically if you loop something too much they get to burst out of your would be infinite loop. Sounds alright right? Except it forced people to make ludicrously complex and long 80% combos just to avoid activating the IPS and the burst isn't safe so it can be a free reset if they take it into account.

Here's an idea, just add your usual burst mechanic? It's not hard to balance either, you could copy paste BlazBlue's Burst.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Okay, fair enough, I guess there are worse animes out there, but if you're a Trnaformers fan, this one can rub you the wrong way. Admittedly, a lot of Japanese Transformers fan don't like it either, so that's something

You want the really batshit stuff? Then look up Apocalypse Zero and/or Violence Jack. Just don't say I idn't try to warn you...

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:

I was really weirded out by this until your last sentence. Of course it's Japan. It would have been unthinkable in any other country, but in Japan this is it.

On topic: Restricting players in how many guns they can carry in Duke Nukem Forever. I mean, that game is FULL of bad decisions, but that one just BAFFLES me. I cannot fathom the thought process behind this. They KNEW they weren't going to appeal to the Broshooter crowd, they knew almost all their sales would come from people remembering the old ones and buying it no matter how bad the reviews are.

Also, the decision of some countries (don't actually remember which ones) to put the bayonett on the gun in a way that makes it really hard to aim by putting the blade ON TOP of it. Just... why? The ring-mechanism was such a great invention (if we can call any invention great for making it easier to kill), such an incredible improvement and it has to be so OBVIOUSLY placed under the barrel to work. Why would you put it on top? Why? Just... why? Did NOBODY think about this before they implemented it?

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
When I hear someone votes for one of the crazy Republicans because I mean damn! What were they thinking? Do they even look up who they are voting for?

Also Riots attempts to balance league of legends. Champions will be completely dominant throughout the pro scene for months with no nerfs and then they will give them a tap on the wrist. Meanwhile they try to rework an old and unviable character only to end up nerfing them and completely destroying what made them unique at the same time.

Random nerfs to champions that don't need it is annoying too.

They also have a really annoying method now of buffing something whenever they nerf something but they make it so small that it is not noticeable. For example I think it was Riven whose health regen was completely gutted into near nothing, to make up for this they added 20 points to her shield or something.

It just comes across as an extra insult or something, it drives me crazy.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Mersadeon said:
Also, the decision of some countries (don't actually remember which ones) to put the bayonett on the gun in a way that makes it really hard to aim by putting the blade ON TOP of it. Just... why? The ring-mechanism was such a great invention (if we can call any invention great for making it easier to kill), such an incredible improvement and it has to be so OBVIOUSLY placed under the barrel to work. Why would you put it on top? Why? Just... why? Did NOBODY think about this before they implemented it?
Many of those guns take the bayonet into account and actually have the front sight built into the bayonet, or tall sights behind the bayonet so that the bayonet doesn't obscure the sights. Is it kind of silly? Yeah, but it works perfectly well.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
I'm not part of legion of people who greeted ME3's ending with a great wailing and gnashing of the teeth, but even so I find it hard to comprehend how that went through the process of writing, animation and voice-acting with the conclusion of everyone (or at least a notable majority) at Bioware going: "Yep, fans are going to be dead satisfied with this ending."

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Mersadeon said:
Many of those guns take the bayonet into account and actually have the front sight built into the bayonet, or tall sights behind the bayonet so that the bayonet doesn't obscure the sights. Is it kind of silly? Yeah, but it works perfectly well.
Well, I looked it up again. I specifically meant the use of Socket Bayonets by the french in the late 1600s and early 1700s - they actually didn't incorporate the sight into the bayonet. They just put the bayonet on top of it so you couldn't aim.

Aug 1, 2010
Tom_green_day said:
Chucker said:
Putin well. Putin.
But do you think he is really anti-gay? Or is he just Putin it on?
[img/]http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Putin_9ec3a3_2420828.jpg[/img]
Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system

OT:
I'll go with all the crap the Xbone had to do away with to become a legitimate console.

Primarily, I will always wonder what they were thinking with the PR.

Say what you want about the always online and the used games thing, oh I will, thank you THEY WERE A FUCKING STUPID IDEA.
*ahem*

Say what you want, but the key is how horribly the advertised it. I simply cannot imagine what thoughts were going through the PR departments minds when they decided it was a good idea to show and say the crap they did.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
Tom_green_day said:
Chucker said:
Putin well. Putin.
But do you think he is really anti-gay? Or is he just Putin it on?
i think putin is anti gay when ever is suits him politically otherwise he doesnt give a rats ass about it or anyone else who isnt putin
Pretty much. He's "anti-gay" to keep the Patriarchy (no, not that one! I'm talking about the christian orthodox institution) out of his hair. Seeing as, there's not much room in his hair, keeping anyone out is something he'd want.

Other than that he mostly cares about his own hold on Russian politics.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Kansas' laws that they are slowly working on trying to pass.

And anyone who is ignorant enough to feel threatened by someone else's religion, sexuality, skin colour/ethnicity or gender orientation to try and pass stupid laws to restrict them from basic human rights.

Those are the two off the top of my head I can think of.

Oh and wondering how the hell most of so cal around me have gotten their drivers licenses since noone can apparently drive out here.....

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Batista winning the recent Royal Rumble. Seriously, who thought that this would go over well?

VincentMm

Feb 13, 2009
People who still play WoW.
I mean, I respect the fact that everybody has different tastes and if you still enjoy it, I'm happy for you. Genuinely.

I just don't understand it.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
VincentMm said:
People who still play WoW.
I mean, I respect the fact that everybody has different tastes and if you still enjoy it, I'm happy for you. Genuinely.

I just don't understand it.
This one I think I can partially explain. I find that I go back and play a lot more of an MMO simply because I start running on the logic of "I put in 30hrs, it would be a shame if I just stopped without finishing," and since this is an MMO, that usually adds on an unholy amount of hours.

OT: The Youtube updates. Seriously. I used to be able to load an entire video in a short time. Now if I leave the stupid thing to buffer for an hour, I'll have loaded about 5% of the video. Seriously, who designed the code to make it buffer ten seconds ahead of where I am?

Oh, and the layout updates. Screw those to.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
There was this varitey show in the 80's called Pink Lady & Jeff starring the Japanese pop-group Pink Lady and Jeff altman. The thing is, Pink Lady were part of the skits. They had speaking parts.

Even though they spoke no English at all.

They had to memorize all their lines phonetically, and the end result was awkward at best and depressing at worst.