Things that make you want to punch your computer.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
When it says "Virus found"

GAH you stupid popups. I know it's just a trick to make me download their 'anti-spyware' and infect me with a real virus. and it's SO annoying when you click it off and another pop ups says "Are you sure? You could have a virus" Just makes me want to punch the thing!

Marksman18v

Dec 13, 2009
I hate the slowness of my comp.

Then again it will never be fast enough, always needs to be faster :)

The Anhk24

Dec 11, 2009
Everything about my laptop makes me want to beat it with a baseball bat the burn it. It constantly restarts for no reason, kicks me off the web whenever it feels like, and it so slow. Oh and i spent so much money on this one i can't buy a new one

triggahappyhaza

Aug 22, 2008
Scrythe said:
Having 8gb of RAM, a 1gb gfx card, and a quad-core processor, and Vista is still slower than cold molasses.
Must be something your doing wrong since im running Vista with a quadcore and 4gb ram and having no problems at all

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
Arkvoodle said:
Blue-screening caused me to literally punch my computer once. That's why I have a new computer now.
There you go! Everybody follow in this guy's example.

hipster666

Dec 13, 2009
Can I ask a slightly off topic question? Why do people try to run games on laptops? I've custom built my last three PCs and (except for now, with a parts shortage and overheating issue) have always had top notch performance. If anything has slowed down, needed upgrading or generated errors I can easily replace it. Not so easy with a laptop and the technology is always a year behind PCs. I can understand for college or work, but for gaming why compromise for portability? Am I unfair in thinking it's style over content and you only have yourself to blame?

VinnyKings

Nov 30, 2009
When I'm trying to stream 4 videos on Escapist and also open up a few games. It crashes alot. Then I just smash the hell out of the tower. That and the fact that I can hardly play any games on it because it's a dinosaur.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
When I'm doing something and a pop-up appears saying something about a C++ error, and the entire window closes (all the tabs, everything).

It usually happens when I'm playing an online game, but sometimes it happens for seemingly no reason.

ninja_thae

Oct 28, 2009
Ossum said:
Good god, this is almost like a support forum.

Lord_Duke said:
Nothing badly enough to actually want to punch it nowadays but i hate it when WMP replays the same 10 songs in shuffle and i cant do shit about it,
WMP is rather ass for everybody; they wrote a "random" function, not a "shuffle" one which would mark tracks as having been played and skip them until everything has been played at least once. I use foobar2000 because it's light on resources; other media player camps will have their recommendations.

CrazyHaircut94 said:
When Spotify plays 5 commercials in a row when I'm in dire need of good music.
Congrats, looks like Spotify is duplicating the car radio experience then, that being the playing of endless commercials while you sit at traffic lights, and starting up the good music just before you park and leave your car.

arrow_storm said:
Definately Lag,
also ppl who cant take a joke on forums
and when Firefox crashes mysteriously.
Keep only the bare minimum of add-ons, and set your history and cache to be very small so Firefox isn't shoving a lot of data around.

ninja_thae said:
When it freezes up for a minute and a half forty seconds before my term paper is due for my online class.
What I do in these cases is go to the campus; you can usually pull up three or four computers all at once and post your paper on the best performer. Make sure you've typed it up on a flash drive or something.

PayJ567 said:
My pc's good and all but I can't open the network and sharing center so I have to pray to the lords at belkin that its connected to the internet, or I have to restart the pc as I have no way of re-searching for a connection. And my word 2007 re-configures everytime I open it but hey I geuse, I get what I didn'.... Did pay for and support microsoft office programs all the time. *cough*
Try each one, rebooting after you do one.
1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. One of the best nag-free malware scanners available.
2. In the same Run box type "regsvr32 netcenter.dll" and press Enter (no quotes).
3. Go to Start, Run. Type "sfc /scannow" in the box and press Enter (no quotes). There's a good chance it'll ask for your Windows CD.

For Word 2007:
Go to Start, Run. Type "reg add HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Office\\12.0\\Word\\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1" in the box and press Enter.(no quotes) That should stop the reconfiguring.
(note: If you're on Vista or 7:
1. Go to Start, type in cmd. It'll show up at the top of the start bar.
2. Press CTRL+SHIFT+Enter. Click Yes at the UAC prompt.
3. Type "reg add HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Office\\12.0\\Word\\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1" and press Enter (no quotes).

RobThePrezodent said:
everything my laptop does. its so unbelievably slow and whenever you do something it takes a minute to realise that you did something before considering whether or not to react to this.
Right-click your taskbar, select Start Task Manager. Click the Processes Tab. Click CPU twice. Find the process eating most of your time. If none are consuming a lot, then:
1. You're infected and it's hiding itself. You need virus and malware scanning.
2. You need more memory. Luckily this is cheap.
3. Your hard drive may be going bad. In a Run box type in "chkdsk C: /v /r" and press Enter (no quotes). It'll ask if you want to run the scan the next time Windows starts. Press Y and enter, then reboot. Let the scan run; if it finds bad sectors, replace that drive quick (after putting your critical data elsewhere).

LordCuthberton said:
[HEADING=2]IT WON'T BLOODY CHARGE THE BATTERY![/HEADING]
Batteries older than a year are, well, crapshoots. Li-Ion batteries are nice but they don't age well. Othwerwise, there's a problem with the battery pack (if you have a friend with the same PC, try his battery) or with the charging circuit.

Sometimes the fix is to remove the battery for a few days. The electronics in the battery will reset and charging may work again.

Scrythe said:
Having 8gb of RAM, a 1gb gfx card, and a quad-core processor, and Vista is still slower than cold molasses.
msconfig is the cure for what ails ya. Start, Run, msconfig, Enter. Go to Startup tab. Uncheck everything you don't want running on startup.
Thank you, kind stranger.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
If not the computer, my internet explorer.

Sometimes when I visit this site it tell's me it cannot perform the task and has to abort I swear one more time and it's FIREFOX for me!!!

lissn

Dec 13, 2009
Oh, all sorts of things... Let's see:

1. Buggy sound card driver, stops working every now and then requiring me to either stop&restart Windows Audio service or restart the entire computer.
2. Razer Lachesis that keep reinstalling themselves with no cue from the user to do so what so ever. Particularly annoying because this pretty much renders all mouse-based games unplayable by somehow messing up how Windows interprets mouse pointer movements. :/
3. Gewd lawd, Xfire! You're useful 'n all, so can you please stop messing stuff up with my games so I don't have to disable you entirely?
4. Sometimes my computer powers up at 3AM to installs updates. That's right, Windows Updates. Annoying because of my notoriously noisy computer.
5. The hard drive filled up to the brim again, but there's nothing to delete. Where did all my space go?
6. Cheaters in online games. Nuff said.
7. Unfair AI in single player games. And I do mean unfair AI.
8. Ever forgot to backup your flash game saves and data, before running programs like CCleaner? Yeah. "FFFFFUUUUUUU-"
9. Browser crashing after you've finished composing a huge post, right before you click the submit button. Doesn't happen too often though, fortunately.
10. UAC in Win 7 & Vista. Widely known to cause unexplainable toothmarks to spawn on the frontside of your keyboard, especially if you do a lot of admin-stuff.

In that order.

Hileo20

Dec 7, 2009
SnipErlite said:
When a game just refuses to work - Sometimes it's fine one moment, the next it decides to break and not even tell me anything useful in the error messages.

Oh, and having that happen to two different games in one night

=/
I sympathize, that just happened to me...