Things that remind you of your age

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
My second grade class had old Apple 2's.

All my favorite childhood movies were on VHS's.

I remember watching the news about Tupac and Biggie Smalls' deaths.

Remembering my parents pay for gas with singles and change.

Listening to cassettes in the car.

Not being able to use the phone and internet at the same time.

Being alive when the Soviet Union broke up.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Memories of:
$20 bucks filling the tank for a trip.
Learning Q-basic
The fact that the Home Pong console got me into video games and I'm not even really old enough for that to make sense...

Goro

Oct 15, 2009
Country
Australia
I remember listening to 'smells like teen spirit' and thinking the world had shifted in its orbit. I remember seeing return of the Jedi at a drive in. I remember the reissue and thinking the world had shifted in its orbit (again).
I remember buying a power glove with the money from my first after school job and I remember thinking that no matter how rubbish the damn thing was, it was the greatest thing ever.
When the hell did I get in my mid 30s? I don't remember that!

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Kids of today will know that the little disk logo in most text editors and the like will mean "Save", but they probably have never seen an actual 3.5-inch "Floppy Disk"....that said, they will probably won't even know what an actual "Floppy" Disk looks like.

Also, starting this year, kids are allowed to see "The Ring" (based on it's PG-13 Rating)...many of wich probably never used a VHS Tape.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I remember excitiingly waiting to go buy the " Gamepro" and " tips&tricks" every month with my dad . We still have the stack of magazines .

I remember when blockbuster charged 3$ to rent a game for a week .

I remember when the pausing a game had music .

I remember when arcades had fighting games ( killer instinct was the hypest shit ever ).

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Earlier this week I started playing Rogue Legacy and thought to myself: "Damn this takes me back... I remember when graphics like these first started showing up..."

Then I realized that I was gaming BEFORE graphics got that "good". Then I felt old. Next day at work, I found myself giving sensible life advice to a person 10 years younger than me (told her not to tattoo her boyfriend's name on her boobs) and having it dismissed because I just "don't understand" and am "being too negative". Then I felt ancient...

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Well, everything you said (except the Grues, I don't remember playing Zork) and my grey hair. I remember spending a few sleepless nights playing Boulder Dash on my C64 (and getting yelled at because I was supposed to be asleep).
haha, yeah me too...rockman on the vic 20 aswell...i wish they would make games like them again :(

Boulder dash HD was cool but i still remembered how to do all the levels lol

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Go on then, i've thought up some more classics:

Action biker on the ZX81 and then the different version on the commodore 64...they were both ace.

I remember playing last ninja 2 and thinking the graphics were amazing.

I remember playing adventure island on the vic 20 and getting stuck at the bear for about 2 years (dance???? *boggles* really? lol). Played it recently and it only takes about 45 minutes to complete...doh! Damn those chiggers!

I remember my mates dad getting us a copy of rogue with sheets of command keys on paper and we played that for ages.

I remember my mate buying a 2x CD rom drive for £150.

Double dragon on the arcade...that game cost me an arm and a leg.

Street fighter 1 on the arcade aswell...lol, what a pile of shit...give me Pit Fighter any day!

The original TMNT game on the arcade and how pissed off i was when the NES version was a totally different game...damn you Nintendo! New Zeland Story made up for it though :)

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I'm fairly sure I can't really be classed as an old fart, being only 18 and what, but there are still things that make me feel ever so slightly old.

I remember cassettes and VHS.
I remember 'Get off the internet, I need to use the phone!'
I remember when gas was under $1 per litre.
I remember when GB was generally only associated with hard drives.
I remember when throwing your mobile phone at something would result in either deaths or substantial property damage.
I remember when flatscreens and DVDs were a bit hoity-toity.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much when the younger generation are buffer by the old technology like the first Gamebog and VHS. Also I get all nostaglia/ excited for the 80's and 90's cartoon shows.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Hrmm so many things:

I found myself starting a sentence a few months ago with "the music kids today listen to..." and shuddered.

I remember getting my own first PC. My 486 with a 600MB hard drive. Only running windows 3.1 for the few newer games that couldn't run from my dos-prompt. Thinking wow.. 600MB..i'll never fill this!!!

I remember in rural victoria australia having only 2 TV stations to choose from.

Hearing "welcome to the jungle" for the first time as a small kid, and forever changing what i loved about music. Saving up to buy Appetite for Destruction on cassette with my $2 a week pocket money. 9 weeks of saving to buy that album at 6 years old.

What else.. hrmm...

No internets. i remember the days before internet, and then 28.8k dial up for $5 an hour lol

And one of the main things that makes me feel old... I've lost interest in gadgets. They all just seem to be fads now, and i find myself too apathetic to find really innovative gadgets to be excited about.

Tech moves too fast now :( I can't keep up.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Nothing makes me feel older than seeing something I grew up with described as 'retro' or 'vintage'. I bought an LP player because I like the scratchy sounds it makes over the songs, but now I hear the kids are trying to bring cassette players back into fashion. I grew up with cassette players and there is absolutely not one single benefit to using them over an MP3 player. Then again, I guess you can't show off how retro you are by dragging your LP player down the pub...

Aside from that, whenever I see one of those 'such and such first aired/was released twenty/thirty years ago today' or when I see old buildings being torn down and I remember what they used to be.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I remember installing the newest america online disc and listening to the screech of dialup internet while opening my mouth and flapping my arms like a pterodactyl to make fun of it. Naturally I was the coolest, and got mad pussy numerical four life(spelled "lyf.") The fact that I was born before internet in general makes me feel old.

Also, this doesn't have anything to do with walkmen or fannypacks, but my friend who's my age has a little brother who's like, 6 years younger, so I remember him being a little kid and the fact that he's a full grown adult now is weird to me.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
When I discovered the date of when Donkey Kong 64 was made...man time flies.