Things that were once great, but just need to die now.

DrGhost

Apr 20, 2011
An example would be sonic the hedgehog, it was great back in the 90s, but now its just sad. It had its time, now it needs to die down.

What are some things that you thought were once great but are not now?

(It can be games, movies, people, phrases, objects, clothing trends, ect.)

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I'm jumping on the Sonic train. It's over now. Deal with it.

Now, I haven't watched Naruto in a long time, but the reason I stopped was that it got pretty boring about 100 episodes in. It's enough now. Seriously.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Star Wars is the first one to spring to mind. Two great films, followed by an average one followed by shameless cash-ins which mkaes most of Hollywood look perfectly modest (although I am sure pretty much any film with comparable success and longetivity would be treated by Hollywood in the same way).

Simpsons is another obvious example. During most of the 90's it was the best thing on American TV (to my mind Sopranos took that title in 1999*). God I miss The Simpsons being good. Unfortunately this tends to be a trend for a lot of American TV.

I am sure I am in a minority here (minority of one?), but I didn't really like the Doctor Who reboot. Give me William Hartnell any day.

*Yes I am aware the pilot was shot in 1997, but the first season in its entirety was not broadcast until 1999.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
DrGhost said:
ninjastovall0 said:
Sonic must live.
Name one good Sonic game released in past 10 years.
Name one important homeless person in the last 10 years.
Aha!
But I don't see anyone campaigning that they should all die!
Joking aside, I agree. Sonic must live. For nostalgic purposes at least.

OT: The cake.
Let it GO!
Please...
Take Space, but let the cake go.

Cracker3011

May 7, 2009
Hmm, first reaction would be Twilight, but then that was never great. Or good. Or tolerable.

So I'm going to go with pop music. BURN IT ALL!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Aaand inb4 Call Of Duty.

ciortas1 said:
Every of the 3 major Blizzard franchises, Call of Duty are the first that spring to mind. I'm sure there's more.
Oh, wait. Well, could've been mo-

Vampire cat said:
Call of Duty. Kill it. Kill it dead...
Okay then.

OT: Hey, Tony Hawk... We have Skate now. Your new stuff just doesn't work.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Adjusts flame proof attire:

My Little Pony. I've not watched it in over twenty years so its popularity now seems new, scary and alienating. Well that and it just strikes me as slightly trite.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Count Igor said:
DrGhost said:
ninjastovall0 said:
Sonic must live.
Name one good Sonic game released in past 10 years.
Name one important homeless person in the last 10 years.
Aha!
But I don't see anyone campaigning that they should all die!
Joking aside, I agree. Sonic must live. For nostalgic purposes at least.

OT: The cake.
Let it GO!
Please...
Take Space, but let the cake go.
Rufus the Stunt Bum!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_Hannah

Instead of naming important homeless people I will say that I think there are a lot of ongoing franchises that should be shut down.

It's been my opinion for a while that anything that is half way decent winds up being milked until all joy has been removed from it, and it's very mention brings groans. I think things like "Pokemon", "World Of Warcraft", and TV shows like "Doctor Who" should all be shut down. Right now there are demands for all of these things, which is kind of the point. I think that if they were discontinued for a decade or so, and then brought back, it would seriously strengthen the franchises, all of which are involved in decay... very slow decay, but present none the less. The whole "leave them wanting more" strategy is something that I think media industries should embrace a bit more often.

Sonic is a GREAT example, it lives on mostly due to rabid fan boys. It makes money, but isn't great anymore. I think it could be great again if they backed off from the property for a while instead of churning out constant chunks of garbage.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Jonluw said:
I'm jumping on the Sonic train. It's over now. Deal with it.

Now, I haven't watched Naruto in a long time, but the reason I stopped was that it got pretty boring about 100 episodes in. It's enough now. Seriously.
The manga at least seems to be ending. I don't really like it, but I'm glad that the author is sticking to his story.

(Rather than continuing after then ending like the shit that is BLEACH)