Things that you never use in games

The Night Shade

Oct 15, 2009
The are a lot of things in videogames most times we don't use all the things we have like me

I never use a leaning function or traps in videogames

How about you?

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
I seldom ever use traps. Take too long to use and aren't worth it.

Some times I'll lay out some mines in Fallout though.. rarely.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Kind of similar to OP, I never really use traps/landmines/that type of thing.

Game specific, in New Vegas I never use the Mysterious Stranger/Miss Fortune perks or the survival skill (not even on hardcore).

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
What kind of a game are you talking about?
For example, I would never use a trap in an RPG, but in FPS's and RTS's I constantly use mines.
In RPG's I never go a soldier class, but that's basically all you can do in an FPS.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
You know how when WoW veterans explore the game, they will find the optimal set of equipment and abilities? And then everyone else will eventually do the same? Yeah, it's a lot like that.

MostlyHarmless

Feb 8, 2010
I generally never use the Pokemon I trade with NPC's. Mainly because you can't change the nickname. No! I don't want my Lickitung to be named Marc. I want it to be Lickerator.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Kortney said:
I seldom ever use traps. Take too long to use and aren't worth it.

Some times I'll lay out some mines in Fallout though.. rarely.
Yeah too much work for too little payoff. They're rarely that strong so i never end up using them. Then i come up against something really hard and i have to think up a new plan, "what about all these mines I've collected but never use...?" Even if i drop every single one it's rarely enough to stop the behemoth i'm fighting and i need to think up a better strategy... Even if i can take it down with my entire pack of mines i figure that i should learn how to fight it now because t'll take forever to collect that many again.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Oh yeah, debuffs are usually useless too. Why drag the fight out when you can just put thous resources into getting a better damage output? The thing is that it's hard to balance as a designer because if the debuff is strong enough to speed up the average fight then why would you ever not use them?

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
Money/gold. Unless I need to repair things, I never spend any of the money I find or get from selling items, because there seems to be some unwritten law that everything in an RPG storekeepers stock should be utterly useless compared to anything you can find within a few minutes of wandering into the wilderness, making me the richest person in the world in any game where you can buy stuff.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
I don't shotgun bunny hop in FPS.

And I never use any kind of confusion spell in rpgs as they only work on the player and never a monster.

In civ I never use peace treaties since Gandhi is the most blood thirty f'r on the planet.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
I'm a lot more well rounded then I used to be, though I also don't use traps.

I avoid Axes like the plague too.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Diplomacy in RTSes. Because Conan was right [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V30tyaXv6EI#t=0m25s].

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
timeadept said:
Oh yeah, debuffs are usually useless too. Why drag the fight out when you can just put thous resources into getting a better damage output? The thing is that it's hard to balance as a designer because if the debuff is strong enough to speed up the average fight then why would you ever not use them?
-I usually agree with this but not in final fantasy tactics and the like. The immobilize debuff is incredibly useful since many enemies only have melee attacks and in fft even your "melee classes" have some kind of ranged attack that is rarely less powerful than a melee hit and often does aoe damage. This series actually made the debuffs wort while imo.

-I also never use anything thats "special" like the special nuka-colas in fallout or any soda in fallout actually, gotta keep the fridge stocked... for some reason. The fat-man and mini nukes I always horde away along with missile launchers and missiles. I never use melee weapons in Fallout.

-I don't use healing potions unless they're essential to the core gameplay like in Diablo.

-I never snipe in COD but I do in Halo and Fallout so im not sure if that counts.

-I never use ranged attacks in oblivion(not counting magic)

-I never use a melee weapon if a gun is available. However I always seem to use one if all that's allowed are bows.

I never play peacefully in an empire building game because it is almost always finicky as hell, costly, and total B.S. Them: "give us gold" Me: "go find your own bodeggit" Them: "WAR!"

-I never use archers in Fire Emblem

-Lastly I NEVER EVER play another character competitively in super smash bros except for Captain Falcon.

I apologize for the length of this post.

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
I never use unbelievably over powered spells or powers in games. I am always afraid that as soon as I use it, it will have gone to waste on an easy enemy or I might need it for a boss battle later.