Things that you never use in games

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
Son of a- I didn't even click the button three times!
Guess I will think of something for the topic.
Hmmm....Uhh...Urmmm...Let's go with the mage class. I just don't like hanging back in a battle.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
Instruction manuals. That is unless they have some lore/character profiles and I'm low on poop reading material.

Epslion.Bear

Feb 27, 2011
Woah triple post ^

Usually if there is a stealth option in a game I will ignore it

except in oblivion coz its useful (3x damage with a bow? Yes please)

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
You know all those books in Oblivion? I never touch them. I can't help but feel bad for whoever at Bethesda spent their time writing those up.

I also never touch the rocket launcher in Reach in Multiplayer Matchmaking. I just know I'll kill myself with it.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
I never use traps, either. I also never play a Tank character. It's way too much pressure, in my opinion. I've always preferred to play DPS.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I rarely pick the classes which focus on pure damage or tanking or healing. I prefer utility and support classes. Even when I pick mages. Before I pick the fireball spells, I'll pick up heals, buffs, debuffs, etc. It may not make me the most powerful alone, but my group will steamroll over the others when they're buffed up and have wards to protect them from damage.

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
Unless the game quite literally forces me to, I just generally never use things that can be qualified as a consumable. I don't know why. I'll make a boss fight 10 times more complicated by adamantly refusing to chug a health potion. I'm one of those people who, by the end of the game, will have stockpiled enough rare items and limited doomsday weapons to blow up the universe, but I'm still fighting the last boss with nothing more than a sword and harsh language.

Sometimes you sort of don't have the choice though (like end game WoW raiding, for example, where any serious guild would crucify you if you wouldn't come prepared, and with good reason). But anytime I can get away with it, nothing consumable related gets used.

The Breadcrab

Mar 20, 2011
Grenades. I hardly ever use them, probably because I always forget I even have them. And the few times I do remember about them, I usually just screw around by blowing up the scenery. The only games I think I ever consistently used grenades in are the Uncharted series, Army of Two, and Resistance 2; because they're actually really useful and easy to throw. In most other games it's annoying and not even worth the effort, as they just bounce across the place and it's usually hard to judge the trajectory.

Cj Vanek

Nov 12, 2010
Melee. I only melee in CoD, but that is because CoD is boring and all my friends make me play it, in CoD I don't use guns, only tomahawk, crossbow, and knife, also I tend to be the best on my team.

In BfBC2 I never use tactics people would expect, like when I play an assault with a shotgun, then use the ammo refill to load an ATV with C4, then jump off the ATV once its on a collision course with my target, its fun to explode things.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Kortney said:
I seldom ever use traps. Take too long to use and aren't worth it.

Some times I'll lay out some mines in Fallout though.. rarely.
pretty much this, except i only used them in KOTOR for the final boss fight since i had a bunch of em. besides that? well.. extensive planning, especially for games that seem to want me to do something other than charge in with a minigun and hope for the best. other than that, rogues. i havent played DA2, so dont know about how well they fight there but in most other games, they are good (to me at least) for little more than picking locks.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
loc978 said:
Diplomacy in RTSes. Because Conan was right [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V30tyaXv6EI#t=0m25s].
wise man that conan

traps, debuff or effect magic out side haste or slow, far as consule RPGs go
MMOs: pretty much anything that can't use plate armor, cause i wanna wade in, cause THAT'S WHERE THE PARTY IS!!*

*-the exception to this is my Evie on Vindictus, but her DPS is like second best in the game when you give her a war scythe :D so the cloth armor matters very little

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
stealth, unless u count things like silencers on guns in MP or radar jammers, and even then i dont sneak around, i still leg it with those set ups.
i will of course use stealth if the game demands it.

pistols, unless i HAVE to.

timeadept said:
Oh yeah, debuffs are usually useless too. Why drag the fight out when you can just put thous resources into getting a better damage output? The thing is that it's hard to balance as a designer because if the debuff is strong enough to speed up the average fight then why would you ever not use them?
are u mad?? debuffs are your best friend in those long-ass battles, especially boss fights, debuff the hell out of the opponent, buff yourself up then hammer away for 5 minutes.

Bamcrash

Mar 11, 2008
Never use consumables, power weapons or any ammo ever. Because is Resident Evil 4 taught me anything, it is that you will never have enough ammo when you need it.
(Fun fact: I beat GTA 4 using only the pistol and assault rifle, then realized at the end of the game ammo is really cheap to buy when you have 1 million dollars. Start Yackety Sax music and 2 full hours of rocket launching pedestrians and police).

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
In RPG type games, I will practically NEVER upgrade agility or magic or intelligence. Strength and Health are usually my priorities.
Also, Grenade launchers. Rocket launchers are great, but grenades that bounce all over and crap? Nah.
Cover as well. I'm not going to hide unless the game wants me to. I'm going to run in, scream "WHO WANTS SOME TOAST!?" and proceed to remove all ammunition from my gun. 70% of the time, it works all the time (cookie for reference)

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Cj Vanek said:
Melee. I only melee in CoD, but that is because CoD is boring and all my friends make me play it, in CoD I don't use guns, only tomahawk, crossbow, and knife, also I tend to be the best on my team.

In BfBC2 I never use tactics people would expect, like when I play an assault with a shotgun, then use the ammo refill to load an ATV with C4, then jump off the ATV once its on a collision course with my target, its fun to explode things.
i applaud you sir. you certainly like to spice things up in bad company, and pissing people off in COD. cant entirely advocate pissing people off in cod, but if they are your friends, hell, thats what friends do.

you get my seal of approval