Things that you refer to by an out of date name

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
There's a grocery store in my hometown that used to be called Signalen, "The Signal." Many still call it that even though the store doesn't officially have a name anymore after it got bought by one of the big chains.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Zacharious-khan said:
Saelune said:
Poundsign > Hashtag. #

I also still consider the DS and 3DS to be Gameboys.
Octothorpe > Poundsign

Get upon mine level scullerymaid
Libra Pondo, or Pound Weight, a unit of measurement, and thus I stand by my use of the term Pound Sign, aka the sign of the pound.

And I totally knew that and did not just look it up on Wikipedia. *shifty eyes*

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Saelune said:
Zacharious-khan said:
Saelune said:
Poundsign > Hashtag. #

I also still consider the DS and 3DS to be Gameboys.
Octothorpe > Poundsign

Get upon mine level scullerymaid
Libra Pondo, or Pound Weight, a unit of measurement, and thus I stand by my use of the term Pound Sign, aka the sign of the pound.

And I totally knew that and did not just look it up on Wikipedia. *shifty eyes*
crissy-crossy-chunga-tree-scratch: "name for mark Chunga wrote on tree. Chunga smart. First maker of it. Chunga sure name catch on"

100% factual right here too

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Saelune said:
Poundsign > Hashtag. #
Agreed on that. It also makes the already hilarious Tokyo Mirage Sessions title that much funnier.

---

Scarim Coral said:
I sometime still refer WWE to WWF.

Yes I know the World Wildlife Federation won the right to the initials but dammit I watched WWF as a kid with the likes of Hulk Hogen and The Undertaker!
I can't drop that habit either and I haven't even watched much WWF since the early 2000's...the last episode I did catch involved Dean Ambrose spilling coffee on Chris Jericho's new rug...I think it was Jericho...

---

I refer to the Sony Playstation as the PSX and I also like to refer to people who consider gaming to be their primary hobby (like myself) to be a 'Gamester' as opposed to a 'Gamer'. Other than that nothing really springs to mind...I'll sometimes bitterly refer to stuffed-crust pizza as 'an alright concept with awful, inedible results'.

spacemutant IV

Feb 25, 2012
I never even heard of B.C.E and A.C.E, and while I am not religious, I wouldn't use that. We can't hide our history, plus the new abbreviation doesn't make things better, does it. When you know where those numbers came from, you realize that they are calling christianity the common religion now.

I had a weird dream once where I traveled far into the future, and I was asking people what year it was. The answer given was 35 or something, so I thought they must have started a new counting. I then clarified that I was asking for the year since Jesus Christ, but they didn't seem to get my meaning. Maybe political correctness will still win.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
I don't know whether to be proud or sad that no one's brought up the N-Word yet.

As a person living in Sweden, everyone here uses the word "skolan" for school. 'Cept me, who refers to it as "allmanna laroverket", after having watched Sagan om Karl-Bertil Jonssons julafton one Christmas too often in my youth.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
I call some of streets in my city by their old communist names. It annoys the nationalists. I also use some of the words and phrases that fell out of use in the '90s because they were deemed "too Serbian". It also annoys the nationalists.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Ezekiel said:
The English name ("Princess Spirit/Monster") doesn't make sense, like Mononoke-hime ("Spirit/monster princess") does.
Wow...I totally didn't know that. I remember watching this very long time ago (wasn't into anime yet - it just happened to be on TV) and I do remember being confused about the name. I shrugged it off as just being one of the names that doesn't necessarily correspond to anything.

OT: I actually have to think about something. Thing is, if I'm using an old name, I don't use the new one, hence I'm having to go over things and think of if I even know a about them called something newer. Well, there is a bunch of Dota 2 heroes I refer to using their old names. For example Windrunner was renamed to Windranger relatively recently, yet there are others that either got renamed since DotA: Allstars or one of their common names was dropped[footnote]In DotA: Allstars, the heroes were names as per the Warcraft 3 template - each has a name, as well as a class. So, for example Rikimaru (or Riki, for short) is the name of one of the more famous heroes, however his class is "Stealth Assassin". His full "signifier" is Rikimaru the Stealth Assassin. And yes, there is also the "Phantom Assassin" - slightly confusing when you start to get into the game. Yet that's her class name, her real name is Mortred, so she was Mortred the Phantom Assassin.[/footnote] examples being Bone Fletcher or Fletcher (for Clinkz), N'aix (for Lifestealer), Furion (Nature's Prophet) and others.

Another thing I actually rarely use, yet I still do is "gosu". It is a gaming term that fell out of common use for some reason. It means "a good/skilled player" and is most of the time used straight, not as way of mocking somebody. Not that you can't, it just isn't itself a mocking term (contrast with "noob" which is specifically a derisive way to call a low skilled player). It's very close to just calling somebody "pro". It was very widely used in the strategy scene, more specifically StarCraft and Warcraft. While I know it was used outside of those, it seems like it died with them. At any rate, I still occasionally use it usually in strategy context (though MOBAs may also qualify).

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Sonmi said:
I sometimes use Siam to refer to Thailand, it simply gives a better idea of what the country is and where it's located for some reason.

I still sometimes call ex-Yu countries "Yugoslavia".
Yep. Europa Universalis 4 has made me more familiar with countries historical names than with their current ones. Though in my case I call Thailand 'Ayyuthaya' and Cambodia 'Khmer'.
For more fun, call Russia 'Muscovy' but pronounce the v as a w. 'Oh look, Muscowy just annexed Crimea from Ruthenia!' etc.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
I call female bartenders barmaids. This was the normal in the area I grew up in. Once I left the area everyone jumped on me about the word. I don't see the issue about it, but hey, to each his own.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
The one thing that will be really hard to get used to is calling our currency EURO's and not Litas, a lot of people seem to be struggling with that one, me included.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
I still refer to Pluto as a planet.
It is a planet. No one is disputing that. It falls into the subcategory of "dwarf" in the greater category of "planet". Assuming the designation means anything else is like assuming that a pygmy hippo isn't a hippo, or a grizzly bear isn't a bear, or a MacIntosh brand personal computer isn't a personal computer.

Fractral said:
Sonmi said:
I sometimes use Siam to refer to Thailand, it simply gives a better idea of what the country is and where it's located for some reason.

I still sometimes call ex-Yu countries "Yugoslavia".
Yep. Europa Universalis 4 has made me more familiar with countries historical names than with their current ones. Though in my case I call Thailand 'Ayyuthaya' and Cambodia 'Khmer'.
For more fun, call Russia 'Muscovy' but pronounce the v as a w. 'Oh look, Muscowy just annexed Crimea from Ruthenia!' etc.
At one point a few months ago, I was talking about the history of the word "dollar" and heard myself mention that the valley was "in modern-day Bohemia". Upon seeing the blank and confused looks, I corrected myself "Sorry. Modern-day Czechoslovakia."

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Parasondox said:
The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales which is now called the "Principality Stadium". Screw that, still calling it Millennium Stadium.
Yep. I grew up near the McAlpine (Huddersfield), I still call it that (having subsequently being called the Galpharm and the John Smiths Stadium). The tragic thing is, soon people won't get what I'm referring to.

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
I sometimes refer to my mother and my aunt (her sister) by their maiden names - which aren't their official names for more than four decades now. It's typically in the context of talking about my mother's side of the family.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Joccaren said:
Oh boy.

Alright, so right from the start, fucking Woolworths. Where I live, was always called Safeways, and the damn slogan ran better with Safeways anyway.
Exactly the same for me. Apparently, it was Woolworths in every other state before VIC hopped on board. A bit like HSC and VCE.

Also, the damn "Westfield" group. Buying
up a bunch of shopping centers seemingly country wide where I live, and trying to rename them all to "Westfield [Suburb name]". I know literally no-one who calls them by that name.
Ha, you do now, but the one closest to me fluctuates in name when my family and I are talking about it. It's either Westfield Plenty Valley or Westfield South Morang[footnote]I don't think is personally identifying enough. Correct me if wrong, mods.[/footnote]. If it's clear I mean the one near me, I'll just say Westfield.