Things that you refer to by an out of date name

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The things on my phone are programs, not apps, damn you hipsters!

hotmail is still hotmail, not windows live. On that note microsoft cloud hosting is still skydrive to me.

Saelune said:
Under Armor is a friggen brand...
So thats why there were those celebrity photoshoots where they seem to have been proud of having an "under armor" sticker on their pants. Those were ads after all.

Cowabungaa said:
I often call certain bits of games levels even though the game in question doesn't really have levels like in the olden days.
actually down on the programming side they probably are called levels as well.

Grouchy Imp said:
I still say that I 'buy' games, rather than saying that I rent them temporarily on condition that I adhere to a strict set of provisions.
You win this thread.

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
St James Park, Newcastle United FC's ground, which was renamed the Sports Direct Arena is a hideously American style tradition rape.

Also, Opal Fruits which I believe are now called Star Bursts.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I went to Secondary School, not to High School. I punched my sister when she started to say she was going to High School and will fight anyone who tries to get me to say otherwise to the death (preferably theirs).

I, like most people I know, refer to the Reebok stadium as the Reebok stadium.

I referred to teachers/lecturers as Sir/Miss despite constant attempts in my later education to get me to refer to them by there first name.

I occasionally refer to customers as patients by mistake, but that's because my first public facing job was at a hospital that I worked at for years so I still treat customers like patients some times.

I still refer to people from the USA as Yanks, it was the generally used term when I was a kid, but these days most people I know use American and some give me looks when I say Yank.

I still say mobile rather than the more common smart phone.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Bobular said:
my first public facing job was at a hospital that I worked at for years so I still treat customers like patients some times.
Probably for the best. Assuming you worked at a mental hospital. If it was a normal one, it might just be a bit weird: "Of course, sir, right this way. Don't worry, it won't hurt at all". If you worked it, say, a sexual health clinic or something, the it may just be downright bizarre.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
DoPo said:
Bobular said:
my first public facing job was at a hospital that I worked at for years so I still treat customers like patients some times.
Probably for the best. Assuming you worked at a mental hospital. If it was a normal one, it might just be a bit weird: "Of course, sir, right this way. Don't worry, it won't hurt at all". If you worked it, say, a sexual health clinic or something, the it may just be downright bizarre.
Breast Clinic, which still works to my advantage as I now work in an anime store and in both I spend a lot of time talking about breasts.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Saelune said:
Poundsign > Hashtag. #
Aren't "number sign" or "pound sign" perfectly acceptable in all non-Twitter related uses?

On topic: Occasionally, I still refer video image capture as "filming".

But then, I still call a car the "horseless buggy", a train the "iron horse" and a plane the "great hollow metal bird".

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
I almost always think/say constantinople and byzantium when i think of istanbul. Thanks CK2

Also the latest norwegian translation of the bible has an absolutely abysmal translation of "Pater Noster". I always use the previous version, which was written in the 40s or something

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Strazdas said:
The things on my phone are programs, not apps, damn you hipsters!
It hadn't dawned on me that this might qualify. I will never understand the mentality that says "We trust our customer base to know how to operate this tiny pocket computer that's also capable of putting them in (functional) real-time contact with almost anyone anywhere in the world, but we don't think they can handle the invincible monster that is multi-syllabic words". Still, you're not the only one. Fight the power!

Bobular said:
I still refer to people from the USA as Yanks, it was the generally used term when I was a kid, but these days most people I know use American and some give me looks when I say Yank.
This is less "out of date" then "overly regional". Here in the US, "Yank" or "Yankee" only refers to the inhabitants of a specific region; it's kind of like referring to everyone from the UK as "Cockney".

Zen Bard said:
Saelune said:
Poundsign > Hashtag. #
Aren't "number sign" or "pound sign" perfectly acceptable in all non-Twitter related uses?
Imperfectly at best. To many of us (by which I mean "me, and a least a handful of others"), "pound sign" refers to what comes before an amount of British currency. We have "octothorpe" for a reason.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Recusant said:
Bobular said:
This is less "out of date" then "overly regional". Here in the US, "Yank" or "Yankee" only refers to the inhabitants of a specific region; it's kind of like referring to everyone from the UK as "Cockney".
In Briton Yank just means American, usually used in the sentence "Bloody Yanks, always late for every war".

I guess I use it because I heard the older generation use it (I've been told I use a lot of older language when actually speaking) but these days I don't see many people use it but when it is used its used the same way you could call me a Brit[footnote]Bloody Yank would be like saying Limey Brit I guess[/footnote].

[link]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yank[/link] seems to imply that the use of Yank to refer to a region is just a United States thing.