Things You Can't Prove, But Believe

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
I totally believe there's some external determination for facts (as in something that decides your fate, be it predetermined or simultaneous to what happens).
Also god.

(I hope I could at least make myself clear. My post doesn't seem understandable at all)

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
I've always had the suspicion that somebody, somewhere was reading my mind. I understand that mind reading is provable and if it was real it would probably be known about, and that more likely than now it just doens't happen, but paranoia kicks in from tiem to time and I just worry about it.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Not really scientific or anything, but I hold the belief that if you were to put a communist nation into the hands of someone who was NOT a megalomaniacal despot (more specifically, someone who would actively try to avoid millions of his/her people starving to death, who would mot brainwash his/her people into thinking he/she was some kind of human god, and would not order mass excecutions or send people to the ass end of the known world for any reason they can think of) you'd get a pretty decent place to live. Bonus points if either they or their inner circle had reasonable expectations regarding things like agriculture.

But for some bizzare reason it seems the only people who actually WANT to run communist nations are total fucking psychos, so I'm not sure if I can prove that or not

Tyrant55

Sep 3, 2008
conflictofinterests said:
Tyrant55 said:
Also, I believe that there are many undiscovered reasons why fruits and vegetables are good for us that go beyond vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
Actually, there are discovered things beyond vitamins, minerals and fiber. :D There are chemicals in wild plants that help protect against certain things that are useful for the same purpose in animals that consume them, and being removed from those threats in a domesticated environment, the plants don't produce those beneficial chemicals and are less great for you. Also, the methods of fertilization focus on the highest needs of the plant, which is like focusing only on the protein, carbohydrate, and fat intake in humans. Micro nutrients were a key discovery in nutrition, and people keep discovering other things that we NEED (just in smaller amounts) that we didn't know about before.
Are you talking about phytonutrients? Nutritional Science is pretty much my greatest academic interest at this point, so any links to studies and such you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Also, I didn't mean that we didn't know many reasons why fruits and veggies are great beyond those reasons, we know about phytonutrients and antioxidants already, but I was saying that there is even more that we have yet to discover.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
I believe that i feel something which is probably what people have described as qi or prana or life energy or whatever bs
No, i can not use it to levitate

And the old massive malicious conspiracies that exploit the common mans unfamiliarity with one thing to gain control over it and thus him.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Tyrant55 said:
conflictofinterests said:
Tyrant55 said:
Also, I believe that there are many undiscovered reasons why fruits and vegetables are good for us that go beyond vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
Actually, there are discovered things beyond vitamins, minerals and fiber. :D There are chemicals in wild plants that help protect against certain things that are useful for the same purpose in animals that consume them, and being removed from those threats in a domesticated environment, the plants don't produce those beneficial chemicals and are less great for you. Also, the methods of fertilization focus on the highest needs of the plant, which is like focusing only on the protein, carbohydrate, and fat intake in humans. Micro nutrients were a key discovery in nutrition, and people keep discovering other things that we NEED (just in smaller amounts) that we didn't know about before.
Are you talking about phytonutrients? Nutritional Science is pretty much my greatest academic interest at this point, so any links to studies and such you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Also, I didn't mean that we didn't know many reasons why fruits and veggies are great beyond those reasons, we know about phytonutrients and antioxidants already, but I was saying that there is even more that we have yet to discover.
That is to what I am referring, but the class I learned that in was two semesters ago and I have long since lost access to the text, sorry x_x If you need a GE course, I would recommend a course that corresponds to San Diego State University's ANTH 402; that's the one I learned about it in. It's "Dynamics of Biocultural Diversity," and it's a very interesting course that covers a lot that is tangential to human development as a species.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
I don't think there are giant hidden conspiracies within the United States because I think the government is not capable or too incompetent to pull that off without getting found out. I guess I could use history to kind of prove my point but I don't know my history well enough to adequately prove it.

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009

That there is no God. I can't prove there isn't one, but I'm confident and believe that religion is the biggest lie ever told.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Professor James said:
I don't think there are giant hidden conspiracies within the United States because I think the government is not capable or too incompetent to pull that off without getting found out. I guess I could use history to kind of prove my point but I don't know my history well enough to adequately prove it.
*speaks as stoner*

That's exactly what the man wants you to think maaaaaaaaaaan

Hasido

Jun 20, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
I believe in luck.

I know that everything happens through a chain of events, but a lot of things to seem to end up in my favour more often than not, while others seem to never get their own way.

I'm lucky :D
Oh hey, another lucky person. My friends don't even let me touch the dice or coins that are being used to determine the outcome of events in games anymore.

and yet, i never have found a four leaf clover in my life.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Tyrant55 said:
Not a big conspiracy theorist myself, but I do think that the moon may have a greater effect on people's behavior than we realize. We are made of mostly water after all.
You know that gravity doesn't affect water any more than any other kind of matter, right? the only reason we see it's effect on the sea is that it's big and liquid. Humans are small and solid. And even then, all it would affect us by is by changing our weight ever so slightly.

Falsename

Oct 28, 2010
General Vengeance said:

That there is no God. I can't prove there isn't one, but I'm confident and believe that religion is the biggest lie ever told.
Agreed. The sooner humanity disregards religion the sooner we can evolve and grow.

BUT, if you're asking if I were king of the world would I ban all religion? No. It's our freedom to choose our own beliefs and no one can take that away from us. But if religion eventually died out in the future, I wouldn't exactly be upset.

We need to choose to disregard fairytails and accept the facts about reality. Not saying we've got all the facts yet, but we're closer than religion is ever going to be.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
I'm curious to know what people consider 'proof'. Does it strictly have to be a set of mathematical formulae? Because there are many Freudian psychiatric theories that have been "proven", even though there is absolutely no mathematical foundations for them whatsoever. But we can 'prove' them through observation. I met so many people at university who will refuse any theory if it has no mathematical support. Needless to say they were usually very paranoid individuals.