Things you need to know for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Klopy

Nov 30, 2009
I bought the game hoping for an awesome experience.
My computer couldn't run it.
Its a good computer.

Make sure your computer's specs can run it.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
1) Start game
2) Explore aimlessly after initial quest stuff
3) ????
4) Profit!

Seriously tho, CoP is the only one of the series I've played and it is a fantastic game. I suggest you play at least a few hours before looking into mods otherwise it's hard to know what you really need/want. I don't like mods that change gameplay too much but I definitely recommend the HD textures and new sound mods as well as AtmosFear... but that depends partially on how good your PC is.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Snowalker said:
theklng said:
stay away from anything called "lab" or "underground" unless you are mentally prepared.
HT_Black said:
When it gets dark, stay inside. They will find you, they will kill you.

Of course, they won't be able to see you, either...so stay on your toes.
You two... are scaring me... This game is starting to sound gooood.
soc is by far one of the most atmospheric games ever created. even the shalebridge cradle from thief 3 does not even remotely reach these amounts of ball busting.

i played only in daylight, with a music playlist in the background in order to cope with some sections. i am not exaggerating. this is the crown of atmosphere.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Play it on the easiest difficulty.

That's the best way to get your mind around it.

Also, all artifacts are useless unless they have a +stamina stat. You can run indefinitely with the right atrifacts. I've found that otherwise they don't make nearly enough of a difference to worry about.

killcheese

May 18, 2009
Lawlhat said:
Remember your quicksave key.

It will be your only friend on this adventure.
This X10, also listen to the others about the guns, they are as accurate as a drunk blind man on a boat going over a waterfall...

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Use cover, lean around corners, quicksave when appropriate, don't go guns-a-blazing, don't stay out in the open in a firefight. Be careful of anomalies, remember to use your bolt to detect them and avoid them. Ask your fellow stalkers for advice. Lastly and most importantly, get out of here stalker!

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Rules of STALKER:
1. You are not a god, try not to act as such
2. Anomolies normally equals great wealth at extreme risk.
3. Keep your guns in good condition, jamming is VERY common.
4. Don't pick up every weapon you find, you will die if you do so.
5. Save often, death will be very unexpected.
6. If you get attacked by an enemy that makes skulls appear in your vision and does a ranged attack, run like hell.
7. If someone offers you a job to retrieve something and then offers some of the stuff, take as much of it as possible.
8. The world is cruel, don't trust the people.
9. Most artifacts emit radiation, use anti-radiation artifacts with these to maximize effect.
10. Do not waste ammo, maximize what you carry.
11. Running will exhaust you, walk when away from danger.
12. Upgrade your weapons, the right attachments can be the different between life and horrific death.
13. Stalkers are friendly, don't attack them.
14. Body armor is enticing to buy but is a waste, bullets hurt either way.
15. Get a night vision helmet ASAP, the darkness is unforgiving.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
theklng said:
Snowalker said:
theklng said:
stay away from anything called "lab" or "underground" unless you are mentally prepared.
HT_Black said:

soc is by far one of the most atmospheric games ever created. even the shalebridge cradle from thief 3 does not even remotely reach these amounts of ball busting.

i played only in daylight, with a music playlist in the background in order to cope with some sections. i am not exaggerating. this is the crown of atmosphere.
CoP is really creepy, there is just an odd sense of panic to everything. Also, avoid shadows, just do it. And if anyone asks for a metal case, mentally prepare yourself for a horrific showdown.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
Use the iron sights; firing an AK from the hip is a sure way to waste ammo and miss everything, short bursts, always keep your grouping close, it is most definitely not CoD.

The RPG element means the weapons you start with are unreliable and inaccurate, they get better as you progress, something lost on 90% of new STALKERs.

Bloodsuckers very rarely travel alone;

Psuedodogs always travel in packs of up to five, never solitary;

if you see a short fella in a black robe, run, or prepare for some poltergeist style activity;

Vodka weighs a lot more than Antirads, is worth less, and a gunfight with Monolith troops is no fun when you are hammered;

...and not every shelter protects you from a Blowout.

If you feel you are up to it, turn off the aiming reticle and IFF identifier, adds to the immersion.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
individual11 said:
Use the iron sights; firing an AK from the hip is a sure way to waste ammo and miss everything, short bursts, always keep your grouping close, it is most definitely not CoD.

The RPG element means the weapons you start with are unreliable and inaccurate, they get better as you progress, something lost on 90% of new STALKERs.

Bloodsuckers very rarely travel alone;

Psuedodogs always travel in packs of up to five, never solitary;

if you see a short fella in a black robe, run, or prepare for some poltergeist style activity;

Vodka weighs a lot more than Antirads, is worth less, and a gunfight with Monolith troops is no fun when you are hammered;

...and not every shelter protects you from a Blowout.

If you feel you are up to it, turn off the aiming reticle and IFF identifier, adds to the immersion.
What are those short guys anyway? It took me well over 2 full clips to kill him.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
samwd1 said:
oh yeah.....you see those scary mother fucking blood suckers? no you didnt but guess what, the only way to kill them is if you can see them.
Speak for yourself. I've killed my fair share while they've been cloaked. Of course I did have a shotgun and they did cloak right in front of me...

Oh! Firing from the hip is bad against any ranged attacker. Against melee attackers, firing from the hip is the only way to survive.

Shotguns are your friend against most melee enemies.

Make nice with whoever you can, and don't be afraid to use allies as cannon fodder.

If anybody offers you something for free, blow their face off. It's never free and usually ends up with you being shot at.

If they aren't asking you to pay for it, or to trade for it, it's a trap.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
Judgement101 said:
What are those short guys anyway? It took me well over 2 full clips to kill him.
"Burers" or "Dwarves"; they were cut from the original Shadow of Chernobyl, about the point they renamed it from "Oblivion Lost"; the mythology is pretty thin around their existence in the game, possibly heavily mutated STALKERs in the opposite tangent to a Snork.

I don't like them, that creepy laugh or that strange burbly dialect they spout if you manage to sneak up on them, and the fact they block incoming bullets with a force field.

kidigus

Nov 17, 2009
If you see that big bloke making those weird noises, just get your stupid russian ass outta there. Granted, I never got to fight him, but he looked pretty cross about something and after fiffteen minutes of hiding I got this peculiar head-throbbing effect and had to book it.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Hazy said:
Avoid Clear Sky like the plague.
Why? Clear Sky is the only one that I've played so far (apart from a short excursion into SoC on a very inappropriate computer) - and I quite enjoyed it. So, are you saying that it even gets much better than this?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
purf said:
Hazy said:
Why? Clear Sky is the only one that I've played so far (apart from a short excursion into SoC on a very inappropriate computer) - and I quite enjoyed it. So, are you saying that it even gets much better than this?
No, I'm saying Clear Sky is a bug-ridden mess that should be known as the black mark against an otherwise flawless series.

And yes, it does get better. Much better.

Cybele

Jun 7, 2010
purf said:
Hazy said:
Clear Sky is the buggiest or so I have heard (I've only played SoC). But there should be more than enough patches and mods to make it playable by now

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I just got shadow of chenobly and I think its because of the russion translatio but some people seem a little to cheery when you talk to them

also I heard of 2009 mod or somthign that makes the graphics nice, anyone tried it? how likley is it to screw up my game?

anyway so far its very bleak but theres osmthign that keeps pulling me back...

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Vault101 said:
I just got shadow of chenobly and I think its because of the russion translatio but some people seem a little to cheery when you talk to them

also I heard of 2009 mod or somthign that makes the graphics nice, anyone tried it? how likley is it to screw up my game?

anyway so far its very bleak but theres osmthign that keeps pulling me back...
You're talking about STALKER complete 2009 for SoC, i use that mod and i quite like it, better graphics and a lot of little fixes.

Oh, and as far as things to know goes, headshot, headshot, headshots.You can empty 4 AK clips in someone's stomach but if they have armor they'll keep on going, 2 bullets in the head does the trick against almost anyone (except military with a helmet or exoskeletons).

Also, you will suck at the beginning, it took me a while to understand i was very fragile even with nice gear, that game is brutal.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Snowalker said:
theklng said:
HT_Black said:

here's some tips from a veteran.

Ignore people complaining about inaccuracy, they're too used to CoDs ridiculous spray and pray mechanics. STALKER is not a game about shooting as much as it is about survival. Bullets will hurt and cause bleeding, bleeding needs to be stopped before healing. If you ask me, STALKER has the best health system in games today.

Do NOT go for the loud guns from the beginning, use the white M4 looking gun with a silencer to get you started. The IL-88 gun is the next upgrade, which is great for later. Once you get hold of the FN-2000 you're set for anything, even if it is loud. If you prefer stealth, I recommend the VSS Vintorez. If you have a weight reduction anomally, or the exoskeleton upgraded with weight, it wouldn't hurt to take both.

Do not upgrade everything you find, especially the closed ventilation suit you need about half way into the game. Full upgrades should be saved for end game guns, whichever one you prefer. There is a STALKER Wiki that should give you a brief description so long as you don't read the spoilers at the bottom. Many people consider using the wiki cheating but if you're already a military guy, wouldn't you know all this stuff?

Use the weapon vendor to get some really great pistols. I can't say I recommend the vendor for much else than the pistols but the FN-2000 can be picked up from him. Make sure you get the pistol with silenced capabilities and it will stay with you for life. The vendor is the only way to get an Exoskeleton suit, which is THE best outfit.

You may or may not run across a secret prototype weapon, if you should happen to come across it HANG ONTO IT! That gun is the best thing for hunting mutants there is, which compensates for its near impossible ammunition.

Do the missions, but be careful. Doing missions for one faction will take out the rewards from another faction. There are achievements in the game that give real in-game bonuses so spend your time wisely.

HINT (slight tip, don't read this if you want to walk blindly around): There is a very big crater on to top left of one of the maps...something big must have crashed there.