Things you used to hate that you now love

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
As a kid I used to hate whendad would play 70s and 80s music. The Police, Yusuf Islam, James Taylor, Billy Idol, etc...

Now I find myself just listening to them again.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm not sure if 'hate' is the correct word, or that 'love' is the correct word either, but modern pop music. Katty Perry, Miley Cyrus, Gaga, and a few others.
Their music isn't nearly as bad as I once thought. Its okay. Not great, but its not bad.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I never hated them, but as a teen I highly preferred both Aliens and Terminator 2 over their orginals, now I'm the complete opposite -- Alien and The Terminator demolish the sequels.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Dogs.

Loud, hyperactive, drooling everywhere, and always making me sneeze. I couldn't stand them, or anything that made spontaneous loud noises for that matter.

Eventually, my parents got a hypoallergenic puppy who managed to crack my shell. She was quiet most of the time, and was small and fluffy, so when she wanted my attention, the worst she could do was poke my leg with her nose, unlike the big ones who try to tackle you to the floor.

Nowadays, I can now enjoy them as long as I don't have to take care of them.

Human babies are still on my shit list though. Maybe that'll change over time as well.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Look at some of my posting history and you'll legitimately be able to call me a massive weeaboo (well, sort of), but as an ethnically Chinese person who inherited a lot of WWII interest from his pops, I grew up with a nigh irrational hatred for anything and everything Japanese.

Then I got over myself.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I never hated them, but as a teen I highly preferred both Aliens and Terminator 2 over their orginals, now I'm the complete opposite -- Alien and The Terminator demolish the sequels.
Aged into having a finer appreciation of the thriller leanings and out of the action leanings!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Elijin said:
Casual Shinji said:
Aged into having a finer appreciation of the thriller leanings and out of the action leanings!
Not even so much that, I mean, The Terminator is an action movie itself. And there are other actions movies that I've actually learned to appreciate more now that I've gotten older. Aliens I just have a lot of big problems with now, and Terminator 2 is essentially just a bigger budget (and consequently a more bloated) version of the first movie.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Subtitles

I used to be all "If I wanted to read, I'd crack a book". Recently, my son and I have been watching a lot of DTV foreign martial arts films with Iko Uwais, Tony Jaa, Marko Zaror, Donnie Yen, etc. This didn't bother me as much because you're mostly there to watch the sweet fights. The thing is, some of these movies happened to have somewhat engaging stories and I really got used to subtitles.

This led to me watching a lot of movies that I never would've considered before. Also, Train to Busan is brilliant.

Recently, my wife and I have been watching Castle Rock. This show has a lot of those moments with quiet or whispered dialogue and my wife kept rewinding to try and hear what they said. I suggested simply turning on the subtitles and we didn't have to do that for the remainder of the show. So yeah. I'm real big on subtitles these days.

I think I should go back and watch some Tom Hardy movies with the subtitles on.