Things you're tired of Clarifying.

Sep 24, 2008
So, in talking to a friend, the subject of Harry Potter came out. She asked me when I first started reading. I told her I never read the books. She in turn said that I should know the movies have a few differences from the books. To which I told her "That's fine. I never saw the movies either".

Obviously this is tantamount to saying I never breathed air before, and she had to know what could have possibly caused this to happen. I told her that there was too much hype around it and it turned me off.

This begins the assumptions anew. I was being a hipster by not wanting to pay attention to it and that I should give it a try.

There are other reasons to not wanting to partake of something popular besides being hipster, contrary, or trying to be cool.

I find hype ruins an experience. Deadpool was a fun little movie. Sadly, I listened to a lot of hype. How it was the funniest movie people have ever seen. How they laughed from beginning to end. How they wanted to go see it again because it was so damn funny.

I got like six good laughs out of the film, and was entertained throughout. BUT. Since I didn't laugh through out, I felt let down. The Hype Around It Made Me Have An Overblown Measure That The Film Failed To Live Up To.

It's not that I'm not interested. Often, I am. I'm interested in Game of Thrones, but with the preponderance of people telling me that I have to read it for over two decades, I want the hype to die down and my expectations to be level to enjoy the books on their own merit.

I'm a geek. By my very definition, I'm not opposed to pop culture. But I get people's tastes are not my own so I don't want an experience spoiled by other's expectations.

I'm sure there are things you're tired of having to explain. Just because you're republican doesn't mean you're against the environment, minorities, or foreign relations. Just because you have faith doesn't mean you ignore science. Just because you're a straight man doesn't mean you want sex with every woman you see. Let it out and debunk some things.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Call me old. But i don't justify anything anymore. Don't care enough.

- I never saw harry potter.
- I don't like star wars.
- As a Jrpg fan i hate the Dragon quest series ( Tales of Baseria was my GotY for 2017).

If someone asks why, i'll tell them the reason, but iv'e passed the age where i feel the need to justify the things i like and why i like them. Judge me all you want. I'm too old to try and be cool . ( 29 btw).

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
My name. I hate clarifying my name. I've stopped doing it. There's people whom I've known for years that just hear my name as what they think it is (usually just 1 or 2 letters wrong making it a more normal sounding name) and don't actually know what my name is. And the worst thing, when someone finds out... they get mad at ME. For not clarifying when they got it wrong. Somehow I'M the asshole for not wanting to go through the whole conversation for the billionth time.

"No, its actually ____ spelled _____."

"Wow, that is unusual. Is it short for anything?"

"No, that's it. Just _____."

"Neat, why did your parents choose it?"

AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH!

For normal people, that conversation is "Hi, I'm ___." "Oh, nice to meet you I'm ___." AND THAT's IT and the conversation can move on. Instead I'm expected to tell the story of my freaking BIRTH to fucking everyone I'm introduced to? No thanks, instead when someone gets it wrong... I go with it. Knowing that I will either not interact with them much after that or if I do I'll just have to put up with being seen as an asshole sometime in the future when they find out they got it wrong and I didn't say anything.

And for those of you that eventually want have kids. Take it from someone with a weird name, NAME YOUR KIDS SOMETHING NORMAL. Bill, that's great. Name your kid Bill. Or James, Jeff, John, Joe... Adam, Brad, Connor, Dale, Ernie, Fred, George, Herb... you see where I'm going here. You will save that kid SO MUCH TIME in introductions over the years. "Oh, but I want my special little child to have a unique name, something that makes him special." YOUR KID ISN'T SPECIAL, he or she is just like all the others and eventually will HATE that unique and special name. Choose something normal, AND SPELL IT RIGHT. "Oh I named my firstborn Ian... only its spelled with an 'E'... isn't that unique." Well I hope you are satisfied, its a stupid looking name, you're stupid, and if you have to give someone a name with more vowels in it than consonants... at least use the right ones!

As you can see, names are kind of a 'thing' for me. And no, I actually don't say what my odd name is here. A, I'd have to go through the example above if I did. And B it is unique enough I'd just rather not use it online.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It's none of your business, I hate having to say that but you know it's just none of your business and I don't really care why anyone would ask any question that would prompt me to answer it's none of your business because the answer is self-explanatory.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
My marital status and my various mood regularities on a 1 to 10 scale

[small](Agreement with you on the subject of GoT and Harry Potter especially. It's like pop-hype fatigue. I think a similar issue happened with Undertale, except with caving in. I was expecting something truly genius and life-affirming after all the built up hype and it really did not live up to the awe-inspiring brilliance I had conjured in my head. It probably couldn't have by that point.)[/small]

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
My name. I hate clarifying my name. I've stopped doing it.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. My name isn't particularly outlandish, but it is relatively uncommon and written slightly differently from the norm (first name uses Swedish spelling instead of Dutch, last name is written as a single word instead of two).

I expect people to get it wrong (including the pronunciation). I mostly ignore it unless it's for something important like a contract or official document.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Kyrian007 said:
My name. I hate clarifying my name. I've stopped doing it.
I haven't stopped clarifying it, but my name regularly gets misread. It's only a one-letter change away from a much more popular name, and everyone just assumes it's been misspelled. It's particularly frustrating because the one-letter change completely changes how you pronounce my name.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Another one when it comes having to clarifying my name. The name isn't common, but in the english language it makes perfect sense. In dutch.... not so much appearantly and it leads to being asked over and over again on how to spell it. Recently even had someone pronounce it wrong entirely.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I?ve no interest whatsoever in popular music like rock, pop, country, rap, etc.; it all sounds the same to me [within their respective genres]: uninspired, uncreative, effortless fodder. I don?t listen to the radio and I don?t know who most popular music acts are, so I hate when people are taken aback when I don?t know ?this? song or ?that? singer/rapper/group like it?s a foregone conclusion that I should. I find most popular music offensive insofar as how bland and same-ish it actually is; it?s like someone farted and while I?m pinching my nose, everyone else is wafting it in, breathing deep and loving it.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
"Oh hey, Arnoxthe1/hot mercenary girl. Did you buy that new AAA game with the publisher bullshit in it?"

"No, I didn't buy that new AAA game with the publisher bullshit in it."

"Why not? That new AAA game with the publisher bullshit in it is fun! Don't you like fun?

"Obviously. I'm just tired of having to compromise all the time on the releases I'm seeing from AAA publi-"

"Ell oh ell. Grow up. It's just a game, bro! I like it! Stop hating and being negative."

>_>

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Arnoxthe1 said:
"Oh hey, Arnoxthe1/hot mercenary girl. Did you buy that new AAA game with the publisher bullshit in it?"

"No, I didn't buy that new AAA game with the publisher bullshit in it."

"Why not? That new AAA game with the publisher bullshit in it is fun! Don't you like fun?

"Obviously. I'm just tired of having to compromise all the time on the releases I'm seeing from AAA publi-"

"Ell oh ell. Grow up. It's just a game, bro! I like it! Stop hating and being negative."

>_>
I've gotten similar remarks when someone asks if I play Destiny/The Division/CoD multiplayer or pretty much any multiplayer centric game. I pretty much have to explain that multiplayer, except with friends, isn't fun to me but often a pointless, time wasting exercise in frustration. I guess I could spend a ton of time getting good at whatever multiplayer centric game they're talking about, but in that time I could be playing any number of other games I think I'd probably enjoy(and my backlog is LONG).

The other issue is that my IRL friends and co-workers don't actually play the same games I do that do have a multiplayer element, with like one or two exceptions.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Playing stuff on console, or not playing whatever PC exclusive game.

My proper PC is basically used for work stuff (music production and video/graphic editing). Its not even connected to internet usually, and I certainly don't need extraneous junk in the background eating the memory and slowly destroying the hardware any faster then the use already is.

Hence any bit of PC gaming tends to be on my laptop, which can only run a set number of things to start with. The keybaord and mouse for it are awkward for any number of other things. And sounds like its about to explode if it were actually trying to run an HD game.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
That tolerance and acceptance are not the same, and that tolerating something is a good thing, not a negative. South Park said it best - you tolerate a cold, or a crying baby, but it can still piss you off. You may not get it, understand it, like it, or even hate it, but you tolerate it because its what other people do, and its not for you to say what others can do.

When I say I don't understand transgenderism, I'm not saying I hate it, or want transgender people to go away - I'm saying I don't understand it, but I tolerate it. They do them, I don't get it, move on.
Or celebrity culture. It absolutely baffles me why someone would want to be famous, or why another person would care about a celebrity they've never met, will never meet, and doesn't know them. I say a photo of Rihanna on the beach, just sun bathing, surrounded by dozens of people with cameras photographing her ever breath. I can't imagine how she is okay with that, or why those people take her picture. It baffles me. But I tolerate it.
Social Media. Fucking creepy, and I've been saying it for years. I deleted my Facebook in 2005 because it creeped me out all the personal stuff people were putting online.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I tend to clarify that prawns, shrimp, mussels, cockles and such are not fish when they get incorrectly grouped together. Errors of taxonomy get on my wick.

I also clarify issues of grammar, such as the misuse of 'less' in place of 'fewer'. It makes me lots of friends, as you can probably guess.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Silvanus said:
I tend to clarify that prawns, shrimp, mussels, cockles and such are not fish when they get incorrectly grouped together. Errors of taxonomy get on my wick.

I also clarify issues of grammar, such as the misuse of 'less' in place of 'fewer'. It makes me lots of friends, as you can probably guess.
Recently, during a 10 hour road trip, my girlfriend?s son asked from the back seat ?how much miles until we get home?? I almost slammed on the brakes and kicked him out.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Xprimentyl said:
Recently, during a 10 hour road trip, my girlfriend?s son asked from the back seat ?how much miles until we get home?? I almost slammed on the brakes and kicked him out.
You would have been fully justified in doing so, I assure you.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I guess it's less a matter of clarifying and more-so just simply defending teachers and the fact that;

no their jobs are not easy,
no you couldn't do a better job than they could,
even with the holidays they still work way more hours than you,
they're so underpaid it's not even funny,
and your utter lack of respect for them and the bullshit they endure is maddening.