Think waaaay back, what was your favorite educational game?

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Oregon Trail, absolutely. I loved that game. It was the reason I liked computer class in 6th grade.

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
oregon trail, mathblaster 4 and jumpstart 3rd grade were the best.

also, Hitman: Blood Money.

jkjk

-SteinFaust.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
Garry's Mod.

It taught me mathematics and logic, so it counts, right?

RemSaverem

Aug 13, 2008
I loved Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, plus all the expansions (Europe, Time, etc.). Although I remember having the crap scared out of me the first time I beat it and it told me I had to "change my name for my safety" (or something like that). It probably didn't help that the computer was kept in the back corner of our basement.

Hmm, other ones... Sim City, Sim Tower, Sim Ant, etc. Also, Mario Is Missing, and Run for the Money (game that taught economics on the C64).

Ohh! One more. Kermit's Electronic Storymaker! I loved that one.

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
The only one I even really remember was a math game called "Chefrens Pyramid" (well, that's what it was called in Swedish, I think...)

Gods, that was ages ago, though... I feel old now.

I remember it crashing constantly, but when it decided to work, it was a ton of fun...

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Oregon Trail, that game rocked even though I never made it anywhere. I acted like a real pioneer and went out to slaughter buffalo for hours on end, killing 1000 lbs of food and carrying back 100 lbs to actually eat. Never made it anywhere near Oregon but I sure did kill a lot of animals.

Cosmic Naginata

Jan 7, 2010
One of the Adi games, complete your math and english exercises and you'll unlock games like Gobliins 2, Gobliiins 3, Pepper's Adventures Through Time and so on.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
Daestar said:
Age of Mythology. That's right, I actually learned who Perseus, Jason, Medusa, and all that, and all that are from reading the little unit histories included. Educational Real Time Strategy.....and meteors....
This.
I actually bought it at a school fair, so it COUNTS.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I played a load of them when I had fewer years on me. Most were awful.

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing seems to be the best one I can remember. There was a minigame where you had to type letters as they appeared on a screen before a chameleon had time to eat them... or something...

Xelt

May 11, 2008
Oregon Trail, Zoombinis and the Rayman Educational games, those were my favourite Rayman games ever..

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
Where in Time Is Carmen Sandiego? was always my favorite, followed by Oregon Trail. I didn't like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? as much, because I could never tell one place from another by the clues, but at least in Where In Time I was pretty good at guessing. Later on I got a huge kick out of The Typing Of The Dead.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
natural20 said:
Hey fellow escapists! I want you all to think way back to when you were kids. What was your favorite educational game, one that taught you something? My personal favorite was the original "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?"
Ha! That's exactly what came to my mind when I read the thread title. I loved that game to bits, and I think it was the one and only videogame my mother not only tolerated but actually liked, lauding it for making kids use their brains.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
There was this one educational game I used to play all the time. I don't remember what its called but there was this Jamaican girl who would tell stories and you would draw things for them, like spaceships and whatnot. I loved that game.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Math Blaster Episode I: In Search of Spot, where that orange, three-eyed ************ of an alien littered everywhere and stole my little blue robot, Spot, who had a brooklyn accent.

DIRTY ************.

titaniumChampion

Nov 27, 2009
Back in 1999 there was a video game released from Sierra about Driver's Ed on PC. It came with a specialized steering wheel peripheral. You had to check your mirrors, signal, and go the speed limit. It was incredibly accurate and helped me get my license easily. My favorite was doing a free-drive, where you'd take the instructor on a joy ride around the city without losing points for being reckless.