Thinkgeek Apologizes After Selling Used Dreamcasts

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Thinkgeek Apologizes After Selling Used Dreamcasts

Thinkgeek has issued an apology following the revelation that the online retailer's recent batch of "new" Dreamcast consoles actually included previously used systems.

On April 22, Thinkgeek offered a lot of 100 Dreamcast consoles that the company described a "new, in-box." After at least one of those gamers who purchased a console from the firm complained that the Dreamcast was, in fact, previously used, the company issued an apology.

"We have no reason to doubt this post, and we apologize for it," wrote Thinkgeek co-founder Willie Vadnais in reply to an inquiry by Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/thinkgeek-issues-apology-responds-to-old-dreamcast-debacle-132790.phtml]. "We purchased these new-in-box consoles directly from a vendor who had surplus inventory. We inspected many units before they shipped, and all were absolutely new. Only the boxes had some wear and tear."

Despite the company's claims of ignorance, it also offered a lengthy explanation of where it acquired the mysterious lot of Dreamcasts:

First, a little backstory: We came upon an amazing cache of new-in-box Dreamcasts not too long ago. We had a bunch of units shipped to us to inspect them, and indeed, though the boxes were a little worse for the wear on the outside, the consoles had nary a scratch and even the wire twists that bundled the cables had never been undone. It was like magic--magic that had been hiding in a warehouse, unknown, for years.

So we asked our source from whence these beautiful Dreamcasts came, and they didn't know--could've been a liquidator, or a Circuit City that had closed shop. (Hear that? It's the sound of a plot thickening.)

But we'd seen them with our own eyes and figured it was best to share our discovery with the world. Hundreds were snatched up quickly and squees were heard 'round the internets.

So far we've had 2 instances of not-so-new-in-box Dreamcasts. The individual who received the one reported here contacted us via email (which never appeared in our inbox, for some reason) and Twitter (through which we've taken care of the situation) has already been issued a return shipping label. We're more than happy to refund him for the Dreamcast as well as shipping.

We're very sorry about the whole thing--we never meant to ship used Dreamcasts. We know our customers are smarty pants and could tell if they'd been duped with a stale Dreamcast; we'd never get away with taking advantage of you guys, so why would we try?

And now we have 3 options: 1. Stop sharing the gift of new Dreamcasts; 2. Have them all shipped to us and inspect each one individually and then ship back to the warehouse; and 3. Continue spreading the (mostly) untainted Dreamcast love and working with the very few customers who get lemons.

We hope you'll understand why we're continuing to offer them on our site (when we get our grubby little paws on more, of course). And again, we apologize to the 2 customers who ended up with what appears to be returned merchandise.

--The ThinkGeek Monkeys

Though ThinkGeek is widely seen as a reputable online retailer, this should be further evidence that anything seemingly too good to be true generally is.

Caveat emptor, ladies and gentlemen.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
On April 22, Thinkgeek offered a lot of 100 Dreamcast consoles that the company described as "new, in-box."
Thought I should point those two things out...

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
CapnJack said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
On April 22, Thinkgeek offered a lot of 100 Dreamcast consoles that the company described as "new, in-box."
Thought I should point those two things out... I'm not sure if you meant 100 or a lot of, so I guessed.
I think he meant "a lot" as in "a lot" at an auction.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
curlycrouton said:
I think he meant "a lot" as in "a lot" at an auction.
Very unlikely. In that case, I'm pretty sure it would mean Thinkgeek is selling "100 Dreamcast consoles" at once, as a package, or a lot.

sighh

Mar 3, 2009
I think it's appropriate since thinkgeek probably purchased the lot of dreamcasts as a lot and is now reselling them individually.