Thinks you think you are too optimistic/pessimistic about

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Simple question, we've all been optimistic or pessimistic about things in our life. What are some of yours?

I'll start with something light: I think I'm a little too optimistic about the Daredevil Netflix series. The behind the scenes drama is second only to that of Ant Man, yet just like Ant Man I can't stop myself but being existed for it to no end.

On the flip side I can't help but feel pessimistic about Star Wars VII. I don't know if it's the fact that it's a Star Wars movie made after episode 6, the fact that Abrams is the director, the fact that Lucas is on as a 'consultant' (though for all we know that's like how Gene was a consultant for the Trek movies, there but ignored by all), but for some reason I can't help but have a negative feeling towards the movie despite all the news which seems to paint it in a positive light that has been coming out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think I'm optimistic about games in general. New Assassin's Creed? Sure, bring it on. Zombie game? Can't have enough. Dead Space is too shooty? Still fun. Borderlands is too looty? I love looting. Two-gun limit in BioShock? That's all I need. Dead Island is awful? But I like first-person melee combat. And so on.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
I have to second Johnny on the games thing. I'm never one to immediately discount any game until the reviews are out, so optimistic about games too much, yes I am.

Pessimistic, my own future, I can't help but dread what annoyance or roadblock will come up next for me next. I am actually at a point where the only thing I can look forward to was getting free time to play games, otherwise I am just savor any sense of finality like a deadline passing or bedtime.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
I tend to be very optimistic towards my hobbies, like games (Bloodborne, Person 5) but I am naturally a very pessimistic person. Especially when it comes to my future or my personal view of myself I tend to go to "the glass is half empty" approach.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I don't think there are many things you can be too optimistic about...cynicism is overrated

anyway I don't know if its pessimistic but sometimes I seriously think about dying or when (how) I'll die...that gets pretty morbid

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Probably too optimistic about my life in general. I've always been a person inclined to be sort of...lazy. And I know for a fact I could be doing a lot of things much better than I am (looking for job prospects, focusing on doing better in my college classes, the works). But I still sort of just chug along, optimistic that everything will work out. Not looking forward to when my blissful procrastination comes back to bite me in the ass.

I'm pretty pessimistic about my appearance when I dwell on it too much. But I try not to do that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Vault101 said:
I don't think there are many things you can be too optimistic about...cynicism is overrated
Well, I've met happy-go-lucky people who didn't live in reality, optimism just blatently dominating their life outlook, so there is that. As for cynicism, I regard that as pessimism-light, just being a bit more realistic. It's like...

Anyway...

Hmmm, I'm not sure, actually. Taking things in moderation that I do, it's hard for me to discern if I have any such extreme areas on the scale here. I have - in general - a good reason for any important thing that I believe in positive or negative overtones. All my hatred and my anger is justified and I have an almost supernatural luck. It's a weird system. I'm all over the board.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Optimistic about Silent Hill's future, voice acting and select TV shows.

Pessimistic about.... any shred of failure and the crushing nihilism that comes with unemployment and realizing the grand scheme of everything. So anything that's not Silent Hill's future, voice acting and select TV shows.

Edit: Okay, okay, you got me. I'm also optimistic about the rest of Tales from the Borderlands and getting my first paycheck from this saphole staffing agency I found myself contracted under. Would it kill them to actually PAY people on TIME? I DO exist, you know.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I tend to be too optimistic about my hobby of gaming. I seem extremely apathetic about nearly everything in life until I see some kind of news about gaming and then suddenly im all excited, I get too into gaming and optimistic about pretty much anything gaming related. This goes double for promising looking kickstarters, just seeing them pitch a cool idea gets me all excited and happy.

On the other side I am too pessimistic about my own life, future and worth. I have no idea what to do with myself and thinking about the future just depresses me because I can only see myself failing anything I try to do and just sponging off benefits and family. This tanks my own opinion of my worth. Thinking about the future or my worth as a person just depresses me as I think about the worst possible outcomes and nothing else.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Well, I've met happy-go-lucky people who didn't live in reality, optimism just blatently dominating their life outlook, so there is that. As for cynicism, I regard that as pessimism-light, just being a bit more realistic. It's like...
I don't see the point in approaching everything with cynicism just to avoid a little dissapointment

ok some things can be chalked up to "a LOT of dissapointment" and yeah it pays to let yourself seriously consider the worst case scenario

I just have a dim view of cynacism because to me its a defence mechanism employed by immature people who think if they reject "emotions" it will solve all their problems....uhh well I guess thats a very specific reason

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I sometimes wonder if I am unjustifiably optimistic about life in general.

I don't wonder about it too hard though, since I rather like being optimistic and I'd be thoroughly fucked if I wasn't.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I get way too excited for the next CoD game, and even think I still like despite playing it for like only a week. I get so hyped for all the new gimmicks they come up with, even though it ends up being so useless.

I am more of a negative person, so I always have loads of criticism for like every great game out there. Basically, I think that all indie games or non combat games suck.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I am horribly pessimistic about human nature in general. Overall 'mob mentality', prejudices, hatred, the ease with which people backstab and rip each other off without remorse. Sometimes I think the world and it's inhabitants aren't worth saving, or giving a shit about anyone but myself.

Having said that though, I've managed to grow out of it enough to get along and be fairly considerate to everyone around me at least. But the real turn around was getting married - my wife is the opposite of me and it balances me out. When I read the news though, every now and then I get that momentary disgust...from a young girl being raped and humiliated, and either being killed in the process or herself afterwards, to an entire village being wiped out by extremists. I just can't believe this stuff still happens in this day and age.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
According to my friends and associates, I'm too pessimistic about quite literally everything. It's a problem. I want to work on it. Maybe. Someday. Perhaps.

Captcha: yes, sir. I can always count on you, Captcha. There we are: I'm not too pessimistic about Captcha when it isn't throwing an ad at me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Vault101 said:
FalloutJack said:
I don't see the point in approaching everything with cynicism just to avoid a little dissapointment

ok some things can be chalked up to "a LOT of dissapointment" and yeah it pays to let yourself seriously consider the worst case scenario

I just have a dim view of cynacism because to me its a defence mechanism employed by immature people who think if they reject "emotions" it will solve all their problems....uhh well I guess thats a very specific reason
You must've been hit by some pretty lousy cynics, then. I don't reject emotions, and I DO have some optimism. No rule of the game says I can't. I get the cynicism from applied pattern recognition that things may have problems. I rather like being pleasantly surprised when they don't turn out bad. Exceptions to the rule and all that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I guess I'm fairly pessimistic about the unavoidable Last of Us sequel. Could be good, but the original game it ended so perfectly that any attempt to continue the story fills me with extreme anxiety. The Left Behind DLC already made me freak out quite a bit. Same goes for the sequel to The Incredibles. Eventhough Brad Bird's back, I'm still very hesitant.

I am actually quite optimistic about life and humanity in general, eventhough I'm terribly pessimistic about my own future and chances for friendships and romance. Makes no sense I guess, but there ya go.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I'm optimistic for the future. And I'm pessimistic for everything else.

To specify, I'm optimistic for when Orange is The New Black's third seasons comes out. And I'm pessimistic about the fact that tumblr. is going to go crazy about it and it won't be fun at all. I've seen some shit.

Also to specify, this can be applied to literally anything else ever.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Optimistic- I guess that would be the Summer films (Avengers 2 and Jurassic World) being good once again.

Pessimistic- That I will ever find true love (as in being in a relationship) or rather that I easily accept that I will simply be "forever alone". Ok sure I haven't exactly been trying to find it etc rather that I let it come to me if I really meant to be in a relationship (called me lazy as you will or navie for believing in fate). Even then I find it hard to believe that any women out there will find me appealing and for a good reason (being antisocial and a gamer etc). By all means if I ever met the right woman I am willing to change my habit for her.