Third Dark Knight Story From Frank Miller Coming In 2015

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Third Dark Knight Story From Frank Miller Coming In 2015

The Master Race to arrive in comic shops this Fall.

Thirty years after The Dark Knight Returns changed Batman for a generation of comic readers, Frank Miller is returning to write a third and final chapter in the saga. DC Comics has announced the impending availability of The Dark Knight III: The Master Race, which will be published as an eight-issue periodical, with twice monthly releases beginning in late Fall 2015.

Unlike The Dark Knight Returns and its 2001 follow-up, The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Miller isn't writing this series solo. Brian Azzarello, whose work includes 100 Bullets, Wonder Woman, and the supremely creepy 2008 Joker graphic novel is also on board the project.

DC also hasn't yet confirmed the artists for DKIII. While this doesn't exclude the possibility that Miller is drawing the book as he has done with prior Dark Knight installments, it could also suggest that Miller might be even less involved in this particular sequel.

A lone promotional image has been released with the announcement, showing the aged Batman perched on a wire, blood dripping from the Superman emblem behind him to form the title's roman numeral. While every Dark Knight story to date has found Batman coming into opposition with Superman, things could be exceptionally grim for the Caped Crusader now, presuming Dark Knight III picks up where its predecessor left off. The Dark Knight Strikes Again concludes with the liberation of Kandor from Braniac, freeing a whole population of Kryptonians, the presence of which could cause all manner of chaos for Earth.

Source: DC Comics [http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/24/superstar-writerartist-frank-miller-returns-to-batman]

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
OK, I know I said this in the other thread, but how does Frank Miller still have a job after holy terror. I mean who would hire him after that train wreck. Just why? DC WHY!?!

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
.....How can he possibly top his last batman A-hum "Master piece"?
He already "beat" batman, so in this part he's going to single-handedly defeat Darkseid, Thanos and Goku!

Why?

CAUSE HE'S BATMAN!

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Ranorak said:
He already "beat" batman, so in this part he's going to single-handedly defeat Darkseid, Thanos and Goku!

Why?

CAUSE HE'S BATMAN!
you forgot about the hulk, Cthulhu, Azathoth, God, zeus and everything else in existence because his batman

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
As lackluster as Millers recent output has been, he's written some real classics. I'll be checking this out in the hopes he's manage to find the spark again. Plus Azzerelos really good and might help balance some of Millers crazy tenancies

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
tf2godz said:
Ranorak said:

Why?

CAUSE HE'S BATMAN!
you forgot about the hulk, Cthulhu, Azathoth, God, zeus and everything else in existence because his batman
Yup, cause we all know that knowing your enemy's weakness is instantly the same as successfully using that weakness in a way that you're always the winner.

Come to think of it, I really REALLY would like to hear someone make a good suggestion on how Batman could beat Goku... No wait, lets go with Vegeta.

Yes, Batman vs Vegeta.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Did anyone tell DC they wanted another humorless grimdark Batman?
Because I sure as hell didn't.

Come on, speak up. I promise the sanitarium you're sent to is clean.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Ranorak said:
tf2godz said:
Ranorak said:

Why?

CAUSE HE'S BATMAN!
Yup, cause we all know that knowing your enemy's weakness is instantly the same as successfully using that weakness in a way that you're always the winner.

Come to think of it, I really REALLY would like to hear someone make a good suggestion on how Batman could beat Goku... No wait, lets go with Vegeta.

Yes, Batman vs Vegeta.
Because batman has the greatest weapon of all.

Deus Ex Machina.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Really? After doing two big stories about Batman fighting Superman he feels the need to do another story about Batman fighting Superman. Now granted I am a little bised as I never liked The Dark Knight Returns, to say nothing about the sequal but it this seems very unnecessary.

lets face it we all know how it will end. Despite being 150 years old and half dead Batman will fight Superman and with the power of the mightiest plot armor forged in the fires of Miller's undying desire to literaly fuck him, Batman will win.

Then in 5- 10 years time Miller will write number 4 where batman beats Superman for a 4th time using a zimmer frame made of Kryptonite.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
MCerberus said:

The plot twist? Its actually a super light hearted series that redefines Batman from the dark, brooding hero to a light hearted laughing one.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
CrazyBlaze said:
MCerberus said:

The plot twist? Its actually a super light hearted series that redefines Batman from the dark, brooding hero to a light hearted laughing one.
Frank Miller's The Brave and the Bold

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm just wondering how much of this comic will feature random bolding of letters, and prostitutes.

So many prostitutes.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Having really liked Brian Azzarello's Joker, I'm... curious, if nothing else. Never did read DKR2 after hearing about what a mess it is, though, and I'm curious if that'll be a prerequisite, or if this'll take the thread from the end of the first DKR and run with it instead.

For all the batshit crazy Miller's output has been the last 15 year or so, I still love Year One and The Dark Knight Returns, warts and all. I've never heard anything negative about his Daredevil or Wolverine runs, either, though to be fair I've not read either of them.

Also what's with the goofy cosplayer floating around--OH GEEZ IT'S JARED LETO?! They really thought Marilyn Manson + Insane Clown Posse was the way to go in 2015? Wow. Alright. I wasn't expecting greatness, but I need to scale expectations back to an even simpler scale than I'd hoped if this is the direction we're going.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
I for one am really looking forward to passing the trade collection on the shelf at the store a year or two from now, pausing for a moment to think "I guess I should probably read that at some point...", before shrugging, giving a non-committal 'meh', and moving on.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Doesn't matter that he wrote FOUR stories in this universe already (TDKR, Batman: Year One, The Dark Knights Strikes Again and All-Star Batman and Robin). So Frank Miller not only cannot write anymore, the ************ also can't count now.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
RealRT said:
Doesn't matter that he wrote FOUR stories in this universe already (TDKR, Batman: Year One, The Dark Knights Strikes Again and All-Star Batman and Robin). So Frank Miller not only cannot write anymore, the ************ also can't count now.
Don't forget the Spawn vs Batman story, that's part of this universe too.

Everyone get ready for old ass Batman narrating to himself how Gotham is like a prostitute he wants to bang while ranting about evil Muslims, black people and teens.

So far from everything I've read by Frank Miller, the only good read was Year One, not even the original Dark Knight is all that good in my opinion. On the second reading it seems like a parody that's playing it straight.
But Year One, damn that's good.