Third Games in the Series That Were Good

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Mass Effect 3
Uncharted 3
Metal Gear Solid 3 (usually considered to be the best of the series)
Devil May Cry 3
Megaman X3
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Fallout 3

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Mass Effect 3 (save for the ending we mustn't speak of), Saints Row the Third, and Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire are some great ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
Uncharted 3
Curse of Monkey Island
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Crash Bandicoot 3
Persona 3
Halo 3

From other peoples experiences

Xenosaga 3
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Metal Gear Solid 3

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Way of the Samurai 3
UFC Undisputed 3

Both have brilliant first and second games, and made massive improvements to their previous games.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
Am I the only one who thought Resistance 3 was good?
I enjoyed the story and i thought it did a nice job ending the trilogy, a little anti climatic but it gave the players a nice ending.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I'm going to only mention games with actual continuing plotlines, not just series that have atleast 3 games, such as Elder Scrolls or Fallout.

God of War, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
well, to avoid repeating some of the great 3's that have allready been mentioned, and to add one that sadly hasn't been mentioned yet; star ocean 3. :/ fantastic game.

violinist1129

Oct 12, 2011
I'm pretty sure Pokemon Yellow counts as the third release of the series and that is by far my favorite.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Rofl-Mayo said:
I can't believe nobody mentioned Resistance 3...
I was just about to it was my favorite of all of them. That being said Ratchet and Clank up your Arsenal is considered the best in the series. I liked 2 more but that's just what most people think.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Resident Evil
Spyro (YotD is probably my favourite game of all time)
Crash Bandicoot
Silent Hill
Grand Theft Auto
Deus Ex

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Zelda ALTTP, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy 3 (technically the 6th, but the third released in the states), Warcraft 3, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Morrowind, Fallout 3, Contra 3, Metroid Prime 3 (Prime is very different from normal Metroid, so I count it as a separate series) Xenosaga 3, Golden Sun 3 ( I liked it ).

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
Unreal Tournament, Gears of War and God of War, Jak 3, Ratchet and Clank, Sly 3, Saints 3, Burnout 3, Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto, there is a few

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Batou667 said:
Cheers for the answer, was a nice alternative perspective on some games I like but which ain't often discussed. So that explains why Streets 3 and GA3 aren't quite considered as classics despite them being good games.

Agree with you about the GA2 criticism, but I forget those faults every time I listen to the music, GA2 had an awesome OST for my tastes so is possibly why I'm so fond on it.

EDIT: OMG OMG OMG how could I forget one of the best 3rd installments if your a strategy fan...

DOMINIONS 3. Any who knows this obscure and very niche strategy series will know why.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Not jsut good, but also the best in the series:

-Resistance 3 was arguably the best in the series in how it peaked development without majorly screwing up.

-Serious Sam 3

-Unreal Tournament 2004 (Unreal Tournament 3 is the 4th game in series)

-Quake 3

-Deus Ex: Human Revolution (even though a prequel and so many say original is better, they are so close)

-(depending on how you define it) Metal Gear Solid, third in the Metal Gear series but also Metal Gear Solid 3 in the Metal Gear Solid series

One thing I have realised, Valve isn't the only company that can't count to 3:
-System Shock, System Shock 2
-Bioshock, Bioshock 2
-Tribes, Tribes 2
-Max Payne, Max Payne 2
-Hidden & Dangerous, Hidden & Dangerous 2
-Black & White
-Neverwinter Nights

Seem not many trilogies are made in computer games industry, tends to be a one-two-putt or be a series that goes on forever.