Third Sony Attack Thwarted, Sony May Offer Cash Rewards for Info

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Third Sony Attack Thwarted, Sony May Offer Cash Rewards for Info

A third major hacker attempt against Sony, planned to occur over the weekend [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109816-Rumor-PSN-Hackers-Already-Have-Third-Attack-Ready-to-Go], didn't happen after all.

On Thursday, a CNET reporter was told by a member of a hacker group (via an IRC chatroom) that another major attack against Sony's servers was planned, which would pull customer names, credit card numbers and addresses of PSN users, and post them all online. Later that day, the reporter wrote about the details of her exchange with the hacker on CNET's website.

It seems publishing the article was enough to spur Sony to action, taking the proper defensive measures and blocking out the hackers.

"Apparently Sony saw that article because the last server that I could access is offline now," an anonymous source told CNET. "its probbably (sic) being patched like the other servers. There goes our window."

In related news, Sony may be offering cash rewards to anyone offering up information on the original hacking attempt in April. So far, Sony has worked with FBI, U.S. Congress and various private security groups, but it may start looking for the public at large. According to CNET, Sony hasn't confirmed whether itwill go through with offering a reward or how much money would be involved.

With Capcom (among other publishers) potentially plummeting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109876-PSN-Downtime-Costing-Capcom-Big-Bucks], Sony will have to make some bold moves if things don't start looking up.

Source: CNET [http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20061035-260.html]

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Wait, so could Sony only fight the hack because they knew of it ahead of time or was it because their new security is that good?

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
VanityGirl said:
Wait, so could Sony only fight the hack because they knew of it ahead of time or was it because their new security is that good?
a little of column A and a little of column B.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010

Seriously, can they not just leave us, the consumer, and Sony alone? They've done enough damage...

At least Sony's new security is beefy enough to give the hackers a good ol' fuck you, in the shape of a big, bad firewall... Or several.

[sub][sub]Fucking hackers... Scourge of the earth, I tell you.[/sub][/sub]

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Do all hackers get tattoos of weird letters and numbers and symbols on their face?

If they offered a decent reward I bet they'd get the answer they're looking for.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Good. If Sony had heard that news of a possible 3rd attack and did nothing, they would have looked really fucking stupid. Glad they took note and did something about it. I feel safer already.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Bullshit, why say, in 3 days we will hack them. Why not do it immediately?

This stinks of a hoax or a publicity stunt.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Have some points for the book reference with the picture (if intentional?)
OT: So I guess this means Sony might have prevented further attacks?

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
Good job Sony, now if only you could find these douche bags and let your lawyers grind them into the dirt.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I think that this "Third Attack" was a hoax on Sony's part to re-establish at least some of it's credit that they can protect people's info.

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
I don't think CNET would work with Sony and put their reputation on the line for Sony's benefit.

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
One: fuck these hackers. Two: fuck the people sensationalizing every bit of news to make things worse for Sony. I'm sure this "third attack" was a big hoax -- a hoax contrived by your Average Jane and Joe, just trying to get a news story out of Sony's plight. Leave Sony alone. Leave us Sony customers alone. Let us recover from this already. Enough. Of. This. Shit.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I think this third "hack" is a hoax too. If not, then they had to take their servers down to prevent it. Which meant they had to be told about it first.

<3 for you sony, you're screwed when it happens without warning

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I don,t think any person would help Sony in this (since they got easily hacked and remove features from one of their biggest products)

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I'm pretty sure people need to accept that these hackers aren't going to stop. They don't really have much of a purpose, it's a real 'we can' mentality. Probably the first attempt at actually bringing down a company through cyber bullying, in a sense.
Still not sure whether to put the blame on the Anon group for this, my bet is a variety of hackers just thought it a good statement against Sony's bad policies. Then of course they realised they were winning... now I doubt they'll stop unless a) they get taken out or b) Sony crumbles.

Neither are looking very likely though.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
ZombieGenesis said:
I'm pretty sure people need to accept that these hackers aren't going to stop. They don't really have much of a purpose, it's a real 'we can' mentality. Probably the first attempt at actually bringing down a company through cyber bullying, in a sense.
Still not sure whether to put the blame on the Anon group for this, my bet is a variety of hackers just thought it a good statement against Sony's bad policies. Then of course they realised they were winning... now I doubt they'll stop unless a) they get taken out or b) Sony crumbles.

Oh yes poooor old sony, getting cyber bullied for no reason at all, pooor sony.
Sigh, it had to be said.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Richard Allen said:
ZombieGenesis said:

Oh yes poooor old sony, getting cyber bullied for no reason at all, pooor sony.
Sigh, it had to be said.
I'm not saying they didn't deserve it.
But did the customers on PSN deserve it? Hell no.