Thirty greatest video games that time forgot

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
white_wolf said:
I played Alien trilogy on the genesis and that was ok I just wish I got to find and help Newt and Ripley actually spoke. But I have to disagree on bustagroove really? Terrible concept and game overall. I agree with Tenchu but what about Mr.bones, Thunder Strike, Vagrant Story, or Alone in the dark?
I hardly think those games are UNKNOWN. Hell, even I've played two of them, and I'm at best a part-time gamer. "Alone in the Dark" spawned its own franchise. It'd be like me saying that "System Shock" deserved a place on the list. Everybody knows OF that game even if not that many people actually got to play it.

TheSchizoid

Oct 28, 2009
I remember wanting to play Oni, but I never did.

Warriors was a fun co-op game. The biggest problem I had with it was the split screen camera. If you and your partner were in the same area, you shared the same camera. If you split up far enough it would automatically split screen. Which sounds pretty decent but it was a side-by-side split instead of top/bottom. And if you were Player 2 using the right side of the screen but on the left side of the map? You could lose a bit of health in the confusion.

Eternal Darkness is great but forgotten by no one except Silicon Knights. Make 2 and 3 already you jerks!

Played a Devil Dice demo. That's all I remember about that.

Tenchu was awesome for its time. A true ninja stealth game. Tenchu 2 was...not as good.

Mischief Makers! I played a friend's copy once and thought it was pretty good though I only played a few levels.

I still have a copy of ChuChu Rocket. Not a bad little game. Not a great little game either. Just a good one.

Other than a few other games on the list, I didn't know many more to have forgotten about them. If I had to add any to this list I might say Blast Corps for the N64. I also agree with Vagrant Story being on this list. I never finished it but I loved what I played. Or what about Legend Of Legia or Legend Of Dragoon for PS1? Or Illusion of Gaia for SNES? Though, what qualifies as "forgotten"?

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I was going through the list going, "No. No. Nope" When I squealed out loud: "LITTLE BIG ADVENTURE!"

That game is childhood right there. LOVED it to pieces as a kid so I got on GOG.com a while back, but the controls haven't aged well. Still, a great game.

The only other games I recognised on the list were Alter Ego, Tenchu, and Oni. Only tried Alter Ego of those three, unless a sequel to Tenchu counts.

As for games I feel time forgot? I suppose that's Defender of the Crown (Wikipedia article); another game I adored as kid, but never hear about nowadays, or have heard anyone ever talk about it really. The closest modern(ish) game I can compare it to is Mount & Blade, which is one of the reasons I enjoy that game so much I think. In fact, I think I'm gonna go play it now.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
ONI gets an honourable mention yet Marathon didn't? I guess Marathon is clearly remembered by all.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
white_wolf said:
I played Alien trilogy on the genesis and that was ok I just wish I got to find and help Newt and Ripley actually spoke. But I have to disagree on bustagroove really? Terrible concept and game overall. I agree with Tenchu but what about Mr.bones, Thunder Strike, Vagrant Story, or Alone in the dark?
I hardly think those games are UNKNOWN. Hell, even I've played two of them, and I'm at best a part-time gamer. "Alone in the Dark" spawned its own franchise. It'd be like me saying that "System Shock" deserved a place on the list. Everybody knows OF that game even if not that many people actually got to play it.
Silent Hill made a franchise. Alone2 was crap but Alone1 is a forgotten by the mainstream game.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I remember most of those games and actually have about a third of em lying around.

Apparently, what time forgets, I may not.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
I only played two games on that list - Bust A Groove and Little Big Adventure.

I remember having fun with Bust A Groove at the time, and I remember thinking Little Big Adventure had awesome graphics for the time. That's about it though.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I have heard of a grand total of none of those. I guess you're right article author; history hasn't been kind to them.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Ha! I've actually played most of these, and they did stick out a bit. I was actually trying to find Oids again, as in the games existence itself because I forgot the name. I loved it as a kid.

There are a fuck ton of great games from thee golden gaming days, and it's sad how many have been fading away into the past. I'm still trying to find some while also looking for the soundtracks. I know I played over 200 different classic Mac games back then too.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The Madman said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Mechassault (3rd person shooter where you are a Mecha...and destroy cities.)
Can't speak for the others, but Mechassault is part of the Mechwarrior series which is still pretty strong today. Not exactly a forgotten game or series.
Welp...news to me! I have some hunting to do and, annotations to consider making!

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I've played 12 of those, I feel like a fossil.

Anyway, Sub Culture! I've been bugging GoG to release it with ever customer survey I ever got from them.

white_wolf said:
Silent Hill made a franchise. Alone2 was crap but Alone1 is a forgotten by the mainstream game.
You couldn't call it 'forgotten' if it spawned a spectacularly bad movie. AITD even got it's spectacularly bad movie a full 7 years before Silent Hill did.

JakeNubbin

Jul 23, 2009
What about Anachronox? Y'know, the other game Ion Storm made besides Deus Ex. The turn based one. The one where one of your companions is literally a planet and it makes total sense in its own weird kind of way? Eh? Yeah.

The_State

Jun 25, 2008
Gxas said:
True, I guess that childhood nostalgia could paint the game as more rare than it actually is. I mean, in terms of Musashi on Amazon, it was upwards of $250, which is absolutely ABSURD for how good the game truly is.
There's only one game I've seen, of the PSX RPG greats, that genuinely has a price tag like that: Suikoden 2. A game I'm actually surprised didn't make the list. Absolutely brilliant title; full of character, a great story, and unique mechanics. Buuut, it was a JRPG that came out two months before a Final Fantasy game. Needless to say, it didn't sell for squat and only 10,000 copies were printed in NTSC. Now it's the most expensive PSX game that doesn't include a gunconn (Elemental Gearbolt Assassin Kit).

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Eternal Darkness
I don't think people forgot about it. I think Silicon Knights forgot how to make a decent game.

Mischief Makers
This one always hurts. Such an offbeat game...

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
I remember Interstate '76; it was a fun game, though I sucked at it because I was like seven at the time.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
He forgot Cel Damage...... Damn I miss playing that game with my friends. If ever there was a game that was designed to create a party atmosphere on the couch, it was Cel Damage.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Signa said:
I'm sad that No One Lives Forever didn't get a nod.
That's a great call. I never understood why that game isn't remembered more than it is - original, well written, great gameplay - it just didn't catch on.

I found my old disks for it just the other day. I might just dust them off and see if they still work.

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
I remember Zillion. Man, just about any exclusive on the SMS got cosigned to the dustbin of vague memories. The Wonderboy sequel in which you transform into different animal forms was actually a really tight game, but I've never heard anyone talk about it.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
wombat_of_war said:
there were a couple of aliens games released at the same one and that was the far superior one hes talking about. an excellent game
The other Aliens was the so-called US Version, which eschewed the FPS analogue mechanic (really, that's why the article liked it?) in favour of what amounted to a series of minigames incorporating more different parts and elements from the film (the Sulaco dropship sequence, the catwalks, etc). The UK edition, which the article discusses, always seemed (to me) to be unnecessarily fiddly - there are genres which lend themselves to switching between six different characters in order to get things done and the fast-paced shooter is simply not one of them.