This Amazing Majora's Mask Fan Film Explores the Origins of Skull Kid

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
This Amazing Majora's Mask Fan Film Explores the Origins of Skull Kid

This Majora's Mask fan film may be less than five minutes long, but it will be the best thing you see today.

Back in July, Emberlab Studios released a short teaser for an upcoming Majora's Mask fan film. It had a lot of promise, but even those who were most positive about it will likely be surprised at how well it turned out.

The short (just under five minutes) film is titled Majora's Mask - Terrible Fate, and it uses that time to take a look back at the origin story of Skull Kid. Although it takes place prior to the events of the game, there are some distinct references that players will find familiar. Fairies flit around, the music is spot on, and of course, the mask salesman makes a fateful appearance.

The film is more than just a fan project, though. It's also a promotion to bring awareness to the second Times' End: Majora's Mask collection - a remix soundtrack brought to life by sound designer Theophany, who also handed sound design on Oxenfree. You can check out the remix right here [http://www.terriblefate.com/].

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Well this is rather nice. Very well done.

Glad I got to see it before it gets taken down by Nintendo.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I already saw a live action Fan Made film of the Skull Kid, it showed a scene of him pulling the moon down in front of everyone.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'll start by saying that taking the film on its own merits, it's excellent. That said, I'm not too fond of the idea that Skull Kid just happens upon the mask after the salesman passes out, whereas in the game, the implication is that he actually knocked the salesman out. Likewise, the game also hints at a more gradual shift, that even with the mask, Skull Kid has a slow transition. The moon crashing is just one big prank for him, whereas here, it's more straight to evil.

I'm not sure if it counts as an origin story either - he starts off as the Skull Kid in the short, while the manga shows his actual origin, how he was once a human child, but hey, nitpicking.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Color me impressed, this was very well done. Anyone else want to see more from whoever made it?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Hawki said:
I'll start by saying that taking the film on its own merits, it's excellent. That said, I'm not too fond of the idea that Skull Kid just happens upon the mask after the salesman passes out, whereas in the game, the implication is that he actually knocked the salesman out. Likewise, the game also hints at a more gradual shift, that even with the mask, Skull Kid has a slow transition. The moon crashing is just one big prank for him, whereas here, it's more straight to evil.

I'm not sure if it counts as an origin story either - he starts off as the Skull Kid in the short, while the manga shows his actual origin, how he was once a human child, but hey, nitpicking.
Seconded. Among other things, I feel like I have to liken the choice of immediate obvious possession to the choice to show Anakin's fall in the prequels...which is to say a writing fumble. In both cases, it robs a later reveal of its strength by spelling it out well in advance of that reveal. In the case of Majora's Mask, I think there's also a lot of narrative strength in the simple fact that we don't know how much of what the Skull Kid did was on the Kid's shoulders and how much of it was the Mask. A great deal of the Skull Kid's malice can easily be seen as a brat lashing out without grasping (or maybe simply not caring) how terrible his actions are. By being so blatant about it, everything can be put on the mask, and the story becomes that much weaker for it.